good quality computer speakers, powerful enough to play drums too

snoooof

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I thought I would come here for a bit of advice.
I am having various problems with my hi-fi set up and now just want to streamline my system to simple computer speakers.
What I am after:
  • decent quality - not necessarily full on top of the range audiophille, but well able to handle its
  • Must be powerful enough to play at volumes I can play my drums too - mainly jazz, but some rock and pop too.
  • I would also use them for general everyday listening to music and watching movies too
  • I would pay up to £300, but would rather pay less for something suitable

The most important thing here is being able to go quite loud without sounding rubbish. The reason I am looking for advice here is because although I can find loads of reviews for different speakers online, I have quite specific needs. My main concern is that I get a set of Bose companion 3's, 5's or creative gigaworks T3 2.1's and that they just don't cut the mustard when I'm hitting my ride cymbal and snare drum.
So... I wondered if any of you fine people might have useful suggestions for me to investigate further.

I thank you for taking the time to read this and thank you even more if you respond! :smashin:

Dan

You want an awefull lot.

Personally, I would suggest the Mackie MR5, though for a bit more money, just over your budget, you can get the Mackie MR8 with 8" bass drivers as opposed to the 5" bass drivers of the MR5.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1523560-mackie-mr5-active-speaker-mini-review.html

Mackie MR5 - Google Search.

Mackie MR8 - Google Search.

Prices are typically each.

As an alternative, if you want to sacrifices just a bit of fidelity for a bit extra bass, then consider the popular KRK ROKIT series -

KRK Rokit 6 - Google Search.

KRK Rokit 8 - Google Search.

The KRK 6 has a 6" bass driver, and the KRK 8 has an 8" bass driver. Also note there is a KRK Rokit 5 model.

I honestly don't think common computer speakers are up to the task you seem to be demanding, so I would presonally recommend steering clear of speakers like Bose or Creative Gigaworks. They do have their time and place, but I personally don't think this is one of them.

Curious are these acoustic drums or electronic drums? And if electronic, would they be fed through these same speakers?

Also consider an amp and speakers. Right now, PeterTyson.co.uk has the 60w/ch Yamaha AS300 for about £159 which is an excellent price on a highly rated amp.

That would leave you about another £150 for a pair of speakers.

I would recommend -

£100/pr = Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 with 5" bass driver (SuperFi.co.uk only)
£160/pr = Wharfedale Diamond 10.5 (5" bass)
£120/pr = Tannoy Mercury V1 (5" bass)

If you can scrape the money together, combining the Yamaha AS300 with these speaker would be a massively powerful system at an extremely low price, when you consider what you are getting -

Superfi - WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.1 SPEAKERS & SW150 SUBWOOFER 2.1 SPEAKER PACKAGE

Above your budget, but that is a pretty sweet system.

Steve/bluewizard

Hello and thank you for your detailed response to my question.
I have another detail to add which I have only just considered as an option...
I possess a a mordaunt-short MS308 active sub. Do you think this might be a game changer in terms of what sort of monitors I might consider?

Put differently, do you think I could get away with some cheaper monitors which maybe need a bit of help with the bass but are otherwise pretty good?

Again, thanks for your help!
Dan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom