Good quality 7 channel power amp for marantz av8802a

mouldy15

Established Member
Reaction score
Recommendations please for a 7 channel power amplifier for marantz av8802a...... I currently have a nakamichi avp1 power amplifier..... I'm thinking of changing it to something of equal quality to match the marantz av8802a.... I currently have a marantz sr7010 and looking at the marantz av 8802a and the arcam av860 but I am a fan of marantz so am swayed to marantz
But my concern is the nakimichi won't be of a suitable standard to match the av8802a..... So thoughts please

buy a decent stero amp and let it handle mains? teh nakamichi is probably okay for surround/atmos duties, pair with a top end amp for the main speakers and you might get better bang for the buck?

I had the Nakamichi on my 8802 , switched that to Atmos duties and now have a Primare A30.7 for the main channels, big improvement but I guess it should be given the cost difference. Turn the volume up on the Nakamichi with no input and you can hear background noise but the Primare is totally silent

you may also want to consider the new ATI class D amplifiers using the Ncore modules

They’ve been getting some great feedback and i’ll be able to provide some personal feedback in a couple of weeks when they arrive in the UK

if you want to impress yourself then google Martin Kessler, he's the ATI CEO, founder and designer of some mightily impressive amps including design and building for the likes of Datasat and several more very well respected companies

Allan

Last edited:
I too use a Primare A30.7 (with a Marantz 7702 mk2) and it seems to drive my speakers without any problems.
It has a fairly slim profile and runs cool.

I've heard it was designed by Nelson Pass, if you don't know who he is google him and you'll know why that's another positive point.

Recommendations please for a 7 channel power amplifier for marantz av8802a...... I currently have a nakamichi avp1 power amplifier..... I'm thinking of changing it to something of equal quality to match the marantz av8802a.... I currently have a marantz sr7010 and looking at the marantz av 8802a and the arcam av860 but I am a fan of marantz so am swayed to marantz
But my concern is the nakimichi won't be of a suitable standard to match the av8802a..... So thoughts please

I have an Audiocontrol Savoy G3 7-channel amplifier in the classifieds, maybe worth taking a look.

OK guys I've narrowed my av processor choice down to a arcam av860 or anthem avm 60......i need 7 channels..... Which power amps would you choose ? ..... My friend on here really rates Emotiva .....
But what would you pick ?

OK guys I've narrowed my av processor choice down to a arcam av860 or anthem avm 60......i need 7 channels..... Which power amps would you choose ? ..... My friend on here really rates Emotiva .....
But what would you pick ?

as i mentioned earlier you might want to look at ATI or if it’s sonething pre owned your thinking of i’ve a pair of Sunfire power amps that would serve you very well

i’ve no personal experience with Emotiva so cannot offer an opinion other than i’ve seen them changing hands in the classifieds a few times, not sure if whether or not that tells you anything

i have experience of the Arcam 860 though and i think they are superb

Allan

as i mentioned earlier you might want to look at ATI or if it’s sonething pre owned your thinking of i’ve a pair of Sunfire power amps that would serve you very well

i’ve no personal experience with Emotiva so cannot offer an opinion other than i’ve seen them changing hands in the classifieds a few times, not sure if whether or not that tells you anything

i have experience of the Arcam 860 though and i think they are superb

Allan
Could you inbox me a price on the ati power amplifiers as I can't find a price anywhere on your site ?

Hi Allan, hope you are okay mate?

I've been watching the classifieds for a while as I'd quite like an Emo PA to replace the Nak, however, none have come up recently. In fact, a search doesn't bring any 5-channel+ UK sales up as far back as March 2016 - plenty of Wanted threads in between time though!

The ATI amps do look very nice though, but a fair step up from the Emo range, and my pockets aren't deep enough at the moment!

Could you inbox me a price on the ati power amplifiers as I can't find a price anywhere on your site ?

i'd prefer you send me an email please as i have quite a few 7 channel power amps in the ATI's product range

what budget do you have for a good power amplifier if you don't mind me asking

Allan

I've been watching the classifieds for a while as I'd quite like an Emo PA to replace the Nak, however, none have come up recently. In fact, a search doesn't bring any 5-channel+ UK sales up as far back as March 2016 - plenty of Wanted threads in between time though!

The ATI amps do look very nice though, but a fair step up from the Emo range, and my pockets aren't deep enough at the moment!

hi Adam

i'm good thanks and hope you are too

the ATI amps are indeed a step up and it'll be good to get a UK based dealer/distribution setup for them, they are due to land on tuesday or wednesday so all being well once cleared through customs i'll have them for the weekend :thumbsup:

Well pointed out, Adam.

I'm also not aware of many Emotiva power amps coming up for sale that often. Plenty of other brands yes, but not Emotiva.

With regards to pricing, I would think that would need to be in line with the rest of the system. ATI are considerably more expensive than Emotiva and no doubt for very good reason, but would the rest of the system warrant such an outlay.

I looked at ATI but the cost put me off. Don't let someone sway you to something that they potentially haven't heard themselves. There are a few members now, myself included, who own Emotiva and would ask you to go and have a listen if you can. I'm not sure how many have the Emotiva Gen 3 up to now, but I do.

Happy researching :D

Last edited:
I think it would be what is the flavour of tge month.....or most mark up in some cases.....obviously not done by avf supporters of course.

No, that tells him absolutely nothing and is totally misleading. You say you've seen them changing hands a few times in the Classifieds. I'd like to see you quote 5 sales from the past 5 years to back that up. If you do, fair play.
Sales for Rotel however paint a very different picture as they have numerous second hand sales. By your own philosophy, that would say that Rotel sales 'have something to tell us'. So is that right, do they ?

By your own admission, you have 'no' personal experience of Emotiva power amps so you can offer 'no' guidance or advice on them. The only guidance you can give is your own perception of previous sales, which is very possibly incorrect and just that, a perception. Personally, I wouldn't base a buying decision on that advice.

Reviews for products are very good for the consumer, and certainly very helpful to a potential purchaser, but should be taken as they are and depending on the source, the end user is possibly much less biased.

For me, yes I did consider the new ATI range. But for circa 3 times the price of what I have now, no thanks. If money was not a considerate, I wouldn't think twice.

Do your research, and do it well.

Last edited:
chill you two ;)

Some Individuals on this site get far too to defensive regarding their kit.

Nothing wrong with the Rotel power amps :-D

Nothing wrong with the Rotel power amps :-D

I know quite well there isn't and I didn't suggest that there was. I was using it as an example.

And it has absolutely nothing to do with being defensive either, I was correcting a comment that was incorrect.

Last edited:
Everyone is fighting for sales it seems. Hard to sort the wheat out from the chaff these days.

I know quite well there isn't. I was using it as an example.

And I'm not getting defensive either. I was correcting a comment that was incorrect.

please explain to me what was incorrect with my comment below

“i’ve no personal experience with Emotiva so cannot offer an opinion other than i’ve seen them changing hands in the classifieds a few times, not sure if whether or not that tells you anything”

“I’ve no personal experience”, fact, i haven’t

“so cannot offer an opinion”, fact, i can’t

“i’ve seen them changing in the classifieds a few time”, fact, i have and have never mentioned 5 sales in 5 years, that was your quote

“not sure if whether or not that tells you anything”,

i can see nothing wrong with that either so where you get that my comments are possibly incorrect Kevin is quite frankly nonsense

“i’ve no personal experience with Emotiva so cannot offer an opinion other than i’ve seen them changing hands in the classifieds a few times, not sure if whether or not that tells you anything”

“i’ve seen them changing in the classifieds a few time”, fact, i have and have never mentioned 5 sales in 5 years, that was your quote

i can see nothing wrong with that either so where you get that my comments are possibly incorrect Kevin is quite frankly nonsense
Erm it's not me who said your comments are wrong I'll think you find ?

Ok, no problem. If you can't see it, you can't see it but you should as you wrote it. And I didn't say you had mentioned the number of sales, read the post again as I won't explain it any more.

Last edited:
Erm it's not me who said your comments are wrong I'll think you find ?

i know it isn’t Kevin, you and I have had a sensible adult conversation via pm

Dodge is also called Kevin so sorry for the confusion

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom