1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Projector for Sport (under £1000)

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by MysteryMan, Jul 5, 2004.

1. MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm looking into the options for showing Sporting Events, sourced from a Sky STB, at our local Tennis Club

I am looking at 42" Plasma screens, but, also considering the Projector route.

Are there any obvious candidates around the £1000 mark that would do the job?

Is the choice of LCD or DLP an easy one to make? i.e. Is one obviously better than the other for watching tennis, football, etc?

Will room lighting be a factor? It won't be practical to impose a blackout when watching!

Any opinions welcome! :thumbsup:

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,103
    I'd have though that at that price and with those viewing conditions a rear projection TV would be the best price/performance compromise?

3. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    I those conditions you'll probably need something pretty bright (higher lumens), and should use a grey screen to improve apparent contrast and reduce the effects of ambient light. LCD will more likely give you what you want, as they tend to be brighter and cheaper. A 4:3 pj would be the best choice unless Sky broadcasts the events you watch in 16:9

Gary

4. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    We installed a handful of BenQ 8120s into pubs for Euro 04. 1800 ANSI lumens cheap and cheerful with sealed optics (for smokey environments) goes for about £1100 inc. If room isn't too bright you can get away with 1500 ANSI - so i'm thinking Infocus X2 at under £850.

HTH