1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good price or crap screen?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by matt bellamy, Nov 18, 2004.

1. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Repo

Repo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    You won't get many (if any!) saying that the Panasonic is a crap screen! what they will say however is to buy it from www.av-sales.co.uk :)

3. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I had the Samsung. Absolutely lovely in every way except picture quality.
    I sent it back and got a Panny and now very happy.
    I wouldnt give £153.80 for the Samsung.

4. Nic H

Nic H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The panasonic is one of the most popular and most recommended screens on this forum.

5. lingy

lingy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there the best for the money ive a few friends who have other makes and the panny just towers them :clap:

lingy :hiya:

6. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    Why don't you try and view them and then make up your own mind,i brought an hitachi with out viewing it first.What a mistake if you intend to spend £1.5K at least make your own mind up.

7. kevH

kevH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Have to disagree with HappyH here as ive had the Samsung now for about 6 weeks and i think its more than OK.
    Read Happyh's comments with some trepidation as id already bought the screen thinking its gonna have to go back but to my amazement (maybe someone can explain this to me) the picture has got steadily better an better to such an extent that even the other half has commented that its a "cracking" picture now !!!
    More than pleased with the screen DVD's are superb with Sky+ being a bit hit an miss but i think thats more the particular station viewed.
    I also think as far as sound goes the picture seems better if you have a decent home cinema set up. I know thats nonsense but its just the overall "feel" when viewing DVD's and viewing sky films in surround.For info ive the Jamo DVR50 set up with the A325 speakers and everyone is more than pleased with the result.
    this set up is a one room set up with the rest of the house being Bang & Olufsen linked and everyone thinks its just as good picture and sound wise,it isnt of course but thats good praise non the less for both the screen and sound.
    As far as buying your own screen take the advice here and view them all and go with YOUR gut feeling after all everyones eyes and ears see and hear differently IMHO.
    Best of luck and above all enjoy.
    Cheers Kev

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    It's called getting used to it !!! :D

9. matt bellamy

matt bellamy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only screens that I can view out of the 4 are the Panasonic and Toshiba. I can't find the other 2 in any shops and no one seems to have even heard of that particular philips model. The problem with viewing them at a shop is the brightness is ALWAYS turned right up, the showroom is bright and they split the signal between about 15 screens making the image quality less than ok.

I had a rather old plasma that had a problem with the contrast/brightness and dark backgrounds look kind of cartoony. Is this a problem with newer plasmas or not.

10. Woolybully

Woolybully

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have to agree with kevH,I also have the Samsung and at first was not happy with the PQ,then somebody on here recomended I switched off the DNIe,this I did and it was a revalation,PQ much better infact I'd say it's as good as any other plasma I've seen.Obviously some channels on Sky look crap,but that applies to all plasma's but given a good RGB signal the picture is fine and it's true what kevH says,I don't know how but the longer I've had my Samsung (about a month) the better the PQ has got.Strange but true. So can we have a bit less Samsung bashing please cos set up correctly (and without DNIe on) the picture is just fine.

11. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    woolybully,
    I'm not Samsung bashing.I'm just giving an honest opinion. After all, I paid £1999 for a Samsung.
    But, with experience of living with both, the Samsung is not even in the same PQ class as the Panny.
    As you quite rightly say, with the right signal, the Samsung is (IMHO, at best) ok. with a lesser signal it is crap.(And with DNIe turned on it is unwatchable)
    Since I got the Panny I stopped even thinking about signal quality. The PQ varies from v.good to remarkable.

Matt Bellamy was asking for opinions on 4 plasmas at around the same price.
    If we let him buy the Samsung on that basis we would be a disgrace.

Nothing personal or Samsung bashing intended.