1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good power cables for sub or amp?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by jakester, Apr 8, 2005.

1. jakester

jakester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ok my system is almost set up and my Arcam AVR-250 Amp is arriving tomorrow. I also need a power cable for my EPOS ELS sub seeing as how they gave me JAP and US cables but no UK ones!

Anyway, which piece of equipment would benefit most from a good power cable; the Amp or the Sub. Or do I really need good ones for both? Where is a good place to get reasonabley priced mains cables? Maplins?

Also I've got some ferrite cores knocking around that came with my Viera TV which only seem to be needed if I use the connections on the front panel. I assume I could use these for these power cables too?

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think one of the problems with this is the amount of controversy it evokes....I do use decent quality aftermarket cables for some of my gear,but found the original(massive 3 core plus screened) cables for my Krells were the best.

If you have problems with intereference or poor mains quality,then some of the aftermarket mains conditioning kits or cables can be beneficial,but otherwise a good quality,heavy duty mains cable,with decent plugs and sockets will be fine.

If you want to test out a few cables,either a friendly dealer,or somewhere like Russ Andrews can be helpful,if they have sale or return on cables,allowing you to try before you buy.

The effects of wrapping mains cables round a ferrite core would not necessarily be beneficial....you'd be adding an inductance,which could be detrimental....IMHO.

3. jakester

jakester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah Ive got my eye on the Russ Andrews Powerkord which is highly rated or the Black Widow. I had decided to get one of these for my Amp and just a normal one for my Sub but the guys at the media store want to come round and calibrate the whole system for me. He's bringing lots of cables so Im sure if he can prove that my Sub needs a good one then I'll go for it.