Good Players with Universal power supplies?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jwm15, Nov 6, 2004.

1. jwm15

jwm15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know of any multi-region (hackable or otherwise) players that have a universal power supply (i.e., 50-60hz, 100-240Vac)? I am looking for reasonably hi-spec unit (prog scan, DVI/HDMI, etc.) that I can use both in the UK and US. Any info greatly appreciated. :D

Cheers,
    J

2. mikel

mikel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny, i asked this question a while ago and got no replies!

For DVD, suggest you try Arcam. Also potentially Roksan, Cambridge Audio.

Generally smaller manufacturers appear to make "universal" equipment due to not having the volumes to justify regional specific models.

3. jwm15

jwm15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply and leads. Hopefully someone else will also read this thread and help us both out...

Best, J

4. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    im pretty sure that all the japanese brand DVD players are the same as the Arcam. Universal power supply and 50/60hz, PAL/NTSC.

Denon, pioneer.......

However they are not multy region out of the box so you would have to do that by yourself.

With Denons, usualy a firmware update is all thats needed.

5. mikel

mikel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many manufacturers make "Europe only" models with SCARTs and they are typically only 220/240V.
    Some Japanese DVD players are 110-240V (like my old Toshiba) but my new Denon 1910 is definitely only 220-240V.

6. Antpink

Antpink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Another idea might be to investigate the cost in either US or UK for a decent grade separate transformer - then you could work out whether the cost of buying the unit in one or the other country may give a better spec for lesser outlay (plus the difference of a decent transformer). All things seem to point to the UK being a heap more expensive than elsewhere, so you might find it best to source a decent player over there and see what the UK transformer will cost you. Or search the web and find a zillion manufacturers who have recognised this market for exploitation ;) ....
    Another idea might be to talk to a dealer who should be able to quote you for cost to convert an existing model from US to UK friendly power supply (or vise versa).
    Living in Singapore, and moving here from the US with Musical Fidelity kit, I could have done either, but decided on the tranformers - and I did not get any noticeable degradation in quality for doing so.
    Just an idea so you don't find yourself restricted in choice.