Good photo editing software

irvsax

Established Member
Reaction score
Have recently purchased my first dslr camera and want to know people's thoughts on editing software.

I do have adobe photoshop which is obviously amazing but I wanted some suggestions of some slightly easier to use software but still quite powerful.

Eventually I will learn photoshop but some more beginner-intermediate software may be useful for learning some styling options etc.

You can't go wrong with Adobe Lightroom. I think 4 is only £99 (at least it was when I was buying it). It's great for keeping your files organised, as well as editing. It works well with Photoshop as well.

I'm a photoshop junkee, but these days most of my editing is done in Lightroom and only photos I want to edit more thoroughly (like deep skin retouching) I transfer to Photoshop.

=adrian= said:
You can't go wrong with Adobe Lightroom. I think 4 is only £99 (at least it was when I was buying it). It's great for keeping your files organised, as well as editing. It works well with Photoshop as well.

I'm a photoshop junkee, but these days most of my editing is done in Lightroom and only photos I want to edit more thoroughly (like deep skin retouching) I transfer to Photoshop.

That sounds really good thanks. That's exactly the sort of thing I am after. I don't want to not use photoshop but sometimes you want something quicker and easier. Thanks.

snapseed on the mac is surprisingly good

Lightroom is the one. It compliments photoshop nicely.

This is something I'm trying to figure out as well as I've not really settled on a workflow yet. I use iPhoto to import and manage photo's but it doesn't edit in RAW (it creates a JPEG and applies adjustments to that, leaving the RAW file unchanged) so I am using Canon's DPP for small or quick edits and Photoshop elements for anything more involved.

The problem with this is it's a bit awkward as I need to save the edited files to a temporary location then import them to iPhoto again.

Interesting. I like Lightroom, but it may still be a little too advanced??

I have read some very good reviews of Corel Paintshop Pro. It looks a little 'easier', but maybe it would be better to learn lightshop so that i can use it with photoshop better than anything Corel based?

I have read some very good reviews of Corel Paintshop Pro. It looks a little 'easier', but maybe it would be better to learn lightshop so that i can use it with photoshop better than anything Corel based?

Lightroom is doddle to use and a lot easier that PSP - even I can use LR - persevere with LR probably just a case of getting a bit more familiar with it and it won't take long.

Any particular areas/tasks you find it difficult for ?

Jim

When I used LR after Photoshop, I didn't like LR. After a couple of times it grows on you. It all felt unfamiliar.

Lightroom is doddle to use and a lot easier that PSP - even I can use LR - persevere with LR probably just a case of getting a bit more familiar with it and it won't take long.

Any particular areas/tasks you find it difficult for ?

Jim

TO be fair i have not run it yet, i was just looking at demos and screenshots etc. I was hoping for something with a few wizards and automatic settings etc, but i will give it a go and see how it works out.

At the moment i just want basic functions. Seems that many people still think LR is better so i will persevere.

Thanks

Lightroom is great for organisation and also automatic fixes (if you have a pc), you can go deeper and more details but don't have to. For the money it is at now, I'd choose it over any other tool from a photographers perspective (if I had a PC)....

Lightroom 4 is a doddle and very quick at doing very powerful editing features.

TO be fair i have not run it yet, i was just looking at demos and screenshots etc. I was hoping for something with a few wizards and automatic settings etc, but i will give it a go and see how it works out.

At the moment i just want basic functions. Seems that many people still think LR is better so i will persevere.

Thanks

DO IT!!! you will not regret it:smashin::smashin::smashin:

Lightroom is great for organisation and also automatic fixes (if you have a pc), you can go deeper and more details but don't have to. For the money it is at now, I'd choose it over any other tool from a photographers perspective (if I had a PC)....

...also works fine on a Mac ;)

True, but fine isn't good enough ;) There is better on a Mac imo...

Whilst that may be true - it's not what your post implied I think :)

You think too much...My point was if you have a PC lightroom is a must buy imo...If you have a Mac it is not as simple as the integration of Aperture just can't be beaten (unless you don't like integration and having your photos available everywhere in all applications)...

You think too much...My point was if you have a PC lightroom is a must buy imo...If you have a Mac it is not as simple as the integration of Aperture just can't be beaten (unless you don't like integration and having your photos available everywhere in all applications)...

There you go DJ - that wasn't so hard now was it - you just needed a little prompting from someone who "thinks too much" :p :devil:

Your previous post in response to mine actually conveyed the message/information that you intended in your earlier post :facepalm:

??? But the op has no mac so it was superfluous anyway...A bit like our last few posts ;)

??? But the op has no mac so it was superfluous anyway...A bit like our last few posts ;)

Don't you mean "a bit like most of your posts" (as in "your posts" not mine :D) - but seriously - the point I was making was that lots of other members read/will-read this thread so it's usefull to be "explicit" (Ooh Err Missus!) ;)

You lot are crazy. :laugh:

You have everything you need with photoshop, adobe bridge and camera raw. ;)

You lot are crazy. :laugh:

You have everything you need with photoshop, adobe bridge and camera raw. ;)

Yes we are :D

...however the OP was after ease of use and IMO Photoshop etc. falls waaaaaaaaaay short of that ;)

shotokan101 said:
Don't you mean "a bit like most of your posts" (as in "your posts" not mine :D) - but seriously - the point I was making was that lots of other members read/will-read this thread so it's usefull to be "explicit" (Ooh Err Missus!) ;)

I was explicit relevant to the thread. I mean I did not mention my preference on Linux either? Nor my favourite chemicals ;) nor the fact that proper photographers get it right in camera (well unless you are a Sony user but then you wouldn't be classed as a proper photographer anyway so you wouldn't be expected to).

Is that explicit enough :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom