1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good or bad, pretty cheap.

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by STOWITBELOW, Jul 2, 2004.

1. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Daewoo DP42SP plasma tv £1500 notes at Richer sounds. Im unsure how good a set this is, but like the £2k Techwoods of 6 moths ago, it's difficult to dismiss at this price surely?

2. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The Daewoo is real entry level, you will soon wish you had either saved your cash towards something better or bought a PJ.

3. newstuart

newstuart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have the Daewoo model you mention and i must say im
    totally 110% happy with the quality for the price,I admit it
    is running direct from VGA output on my media center pc but it is very good and to be totally honest i really cant see the difference in quality between this and a £3k panny model a friend has,I suppose it may not be so good with composit or svid input as i havent tried it but works well for me and that was when it was £2k the new price is a steal

4. doink

doink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For 1.5k these are functional but not much else.

lacking in connectivity and performance.
    I've had demos of at least 25 different models for multi purchases over the last few years and aside from some of the early samsung badged efforts these panels are the worst.

A buyer would be much better off spending another £500 and getting something decent with higher reliability.

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,098
    Isn't the Daewoo only 848 x 480 res?

Using a pc would certainly make a difference in image quality though I would think.

6. DVDNUT

DVDNUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    i think basically what we are all trying to say without sounding rude is that you get what you pay for.

But the quality might be totally acceptable to some, and picture size would have that wow factor!

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,098
    And if you watch NTSC material, you're getting perect 1:1 pixel matching with HTPC.

I think the trade off for resolution is made up for by using htpc in your case, as not many people would use one. I've also found resolution can be less important if you don't sit particularly close to the screen, so it isn't necessarily an issue.

Gary.

8. cyrus-t

cyrus-t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had the daewoo, and had various problems..... the first one died.... then the shop kindly replaced it for new.... the next one had a dead pixel in the middle of the screen, and gave intermittent 'no signal' messages.... maybe I'm just unlucky, but they eventually replaced it with a brand new Sony KE42TS2 for the grief they gave me (and also after an earful from me)...... now I've compared the two, they are worlds apart ....

The Sony doesn't seem too popular on these forums, but, if you shop around online, you can now get it for nearly two and half grand ... and it's ready to go out of the box.. with the daewoo, you'll have to buy and stand, speakers, tuner box... I love the Sony.

I agree with DVDNUT's first comments..... try and stretch to something a bit better. It would be a shame for you to get it, then learn more and more about plasmas and the vast connectivity options you should have available to you, and then regret it.
    Towards the end, I just couldn't watch it .... the picture coming out of a Sky box, via the tuner box, then in to the Daewoo just wasn't good enough. No end of decent cables etc could fix that. It may not be a good benchmark, but it's a good common denominator.

I also tried many convertors (rgb to yuv, rgb to component, rgb to vga) to try to bypass the tuner box, and while the picture imroved with some of them (notbaly js-technology's rgb to yuv, the 'no signal' errors wouldn't go away.....

I've been there .......

9. STOWITBELOW

STOWITBELOW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Thanks cyrus-t, I wasn't going to buy, just thought it worthy of a post. However you thoughts make interesting reading. I've not read much about the Daewoo, or the Sony - my favorite brand. I hope to be buying a TV shortly as my Sony 50" RP tv is not loved by my wife. I've pretty much decided a nice CRT will do for the next few years then LCDs will be more 'accessible' & better priced for a big screen. I'd like a plasma, but I'm nervous about all the screen burn, lifespan, dead pixel issues for such an expensive bit of kit. £1500 for a 42" screen has almost crossed over into 'worth a go territory' If it was the Sony, I'd be down the shop now. Part of my problem is 32" & even 36" seem such small screens now, & they're huge 'boxes'. A lottery win would sort my indecision. Prices of plasmas have, & I think still are falling. If I can only procrastinate long enough!

10. cyrus-t

cyrus-t

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I think prices might bottom out soon-ish, but you find you will get more (quality, size, inputs etc) for your money as time goes on...
    A handy tip is, once you've bought whatever you decide ..... NEVER EVER look up the price of it again - that way, you won't be disappointed ;0)