Good or bad idea

blasted

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just recently I’ve been thinking :suicide:, I’m not sure my current amp (onkyo 605) is quite up to the job of powering my 603, 601, lcr60 set up to what I think they are capable of. I could be wrong though, it certainly wouldn’t be a first. Anyhow, after watching the classifieds for a short while I have noticed a few rotel power amps kicking around. Funds are not unlimited, but if I were to purchase a 5 channel rotel power amp, get shot of the 605 and buy a av amp with pre outs (limited dosh), would this be a move in the right direction? then maybe when i have saved up for a decade or two, i could get a proper processer.

muchos thanks.

Definitely a good idea as the 605 is a long way short of stirring that lot into real life.

As buying an amp with pre-outs will mean an amp upgrade anyway, you will find your performance improves in the mean time, but as to what route you should take depends on your budget.

Russell

Thanks for that, I like the tunes loud and spend as much time listening to music as I do films, plus i have a svs +12 for the bass end of things.

My thinking was an older higer spec amp at a cheaper price as hd sound isnt to much of an issue at this point in time, after that its a budget thing.

There was a Pioneer AX10Ai in the classifieds over the weekend for £400ish. That is a fabulous amp if you are not bothered about HDMI etc.

Cheers
Rob

Thanks for that, I like the tunes loud and spend as much time listening to music as I do films, plus i have a svs +12 for the bass end of things.

My thinking was an older higer spec amp at a cheaper price as hd sound isnt to much of an issue at this point in time, after that its a budget thing.
I couldn't knock that as an idea. Quite a few members are rolling round with leviathans old Denon AV1-SRs and the like - £3-5k jobs only a few years ago. Staggering really.

Russell

oops, forgot about the hdmi part of things, i need that for the projector.

secondly, im working on the assumtion that a rmb 1075 at 120 watts per channel is going to be sufficinet in power for my speakers.

If you are not bothered about audio over HDMI just buy a HDMI switch.

The Rotel would more than do the job.

Cheers
Rob

Just been having a poke about and noticed a number of people talking about these amps, approx 400 quid new.

Yamaha DSP-AX763

it has a set of pre outs (2 sub out)
does the latest hi def sound
2 hdmi v1.3

how do you think this would fair if i paired it with a Rotel 1075?

as allways, im up for suggestions.

blasted

i've got an onkyo 905 up for sale if your interested? :devil:
power amps are great (i currently use a primare a30.5) but the amps in the onkyo (and other newish amps these days) seem to be pretty good and imo up to the job of driving your speakers quite well. The power amp option will give you more flexibility and in the future should you wish to upgrade to a seperate processor/pre amp then you would just buy one box not 2.

make sure you demo both options if you can - this can get expensive and not get you a great deal more, trust me i know!

As much as I would like your 905, i dont have the cash.

I think 400 top end is my budget for an amp that has hdmi, hd sound and pre outs, so that i can use a rotel 1075 and still maintain a degree of flexability. I dont think i wil have the cash for a real pukka processor for a while.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom