1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good one on eBay?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by Steve.EX, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
  2. MartinFXDX

MartinFXDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hell! I missed an upgrade :suicide:

I wonder if IAG could do it for me :rotfl: It may be worth an e mail to find out....

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    I think I'd manage not to buy that one....from a guy with a feedback of one,claiming to have an "in-house" service department.

4. Kevinc

Kevinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The listing and the photograph are worryingly familiar from a 115v item that was for sale in the US part of eBay a few months ago by a dealer (I remember because it was relisted at least once, the photo background used by the dealer for several listings is distinctive and that cassette reference does stick in the mind!). Out of interest I therefore "asked a question" a few days ago asking the seller to confirm the photo was of the actual unit and what was the serial number and have had no response of any kind. Based on that and the feedback, were I interested in such a unit (which I am not) I would proceed with all appropriate caution eg demanding escrow before parting with cash...

5. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Cash in the post would probably be best in this instance i feel. :)

6. Kevinc

Kevinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    :D yes steve, sent to my address please! :rotfl:

7. AMCross

AMCross

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
  8. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
  9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Finally went for a suspiciously low price,with the final bidder's name not revealed....makes you wonder if a mate was bidding it up for him.

10. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Finally went for a suspiciously low price,with the final bidder's name not revealed....makes you wonder if a mate was bidding it up for him....a secret auction in fact from the bid listings.

11. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Who ever it was they must be delighted to know they can now dig out their old tape collection.

12. Pato

Pato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

I was bidding on this item, reached 370£. The higher bid was 510£.. ok by me, but today i received a msg from the seller giving me a second chance as i was the 2nd highest bidder. Bogus bidder he said, the first one.

Ask him for more pics and serial number, and if he could send it COD.

Only bank transfer he said... yeah right... and will send more pics and the serial nº. I'll wait, i have family in London, maybe i'll tell him to deliver there...

Oh, just asked him about the k7 deck, i have a big collection, suits me. :)

13. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Seems that anyone who bid will receive a 2nd chance, to send their money to some1 who's going to disappear. Must be quite an easy job, just popping random items on ebay, then watching the cash come it. Has anyone contacted ebay about this?

14. Kevinc

Kevinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I had a similar experience with a T32 here in the US a few months ago. The guy who was selling had no feedback and wrote vaguely plausible answers while the listing was active. I hit the reserve (he told me what it was); one other bidder offered less. I asked, as I'd said I would during the auction, to use escrow.com at my expense. He refused, saying he "didn't trust" paypal or escrow.com and awaited my check. I called the phone number to discuss: it turned out to be the fax number of a two-person sewerage business who didn't know him or anything about the sale. I contacted eBay who said they would ask him to update his info. The next day the contact details changed completely to a lady in a different State. I called that number: it was disconnected. I reported all this to eBay, who ignored me. I escalated it within eBay, receiving standard responses. I heard no more from the seller but the under-bidder contacted me saying he had received a second-chance offer, which he refused. The seller's ID is still out there - eBay has never cut him off (though I don't think he's sold anything else). Moral is that eBay doesn't appear to care about any of this. And beware if you're judging a seller on feedback make sure you see high feedback for decent size items (you can "buy" feedback in $0.01 transactions on ebay, eg muffin recipes etc, all designed to generate positive feedback for scams...).

15. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Good point,Kevin,although the few scammers I've reported for trying to sell high value Krells have always been removed promptly.

Feedback buying is a real problem though,but generally easy to spot when you look back through a seller's history,and find that your high-end hifi seller normally deals in cheap jewellery!

16. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    Unfortunately true. It's ok for us lot, as we know there are scams, and know what to look for, but many don't. Can you see how much their items have cost/been sold for, once the item link is dead? Since I assume you can't, I always say what I've bought in the feedback comment.

It's just so annoying that they could get a cheque of a few people (2nd chance) for one fake item, and ebay don't care.

17. Triggaaar

Triggaaar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    I've bought an exposure amp, TAG DAC20, Arcam amp, and Mackie speakers off ebay, but they're no longer visable, and if you go and look at my feedback in a few weeks, it the highest value item will be a fiver (I'm buying loads of naff CDs for my new system)

18. Kevinc

Kevinc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Agree with both points and those of Alex. The amount of time that the item link remains "live" on an eBay member's feedback seems to have been reduced sharply over the past year or so, and it is increasingly difficult to tell whether the member's feedback is for $0.01 cookie recipes or the usual mixture of things that those of us who have successfully sold old personal Audiolab/TAG/Musical Fidelity equipment build up over time. Personally, I think eBay could solve a lot of problems simply by requiring users to build up a minimum feedback of say +5 before they can sell anything: while feedback can be bought, someone quickly buying a bunch of feedback on junk items before listing something valuable would stand out. Also, I will not buy from anyone who doesn't take PayPal: other than reluctance to absorb the credit card fees there seems to me to be little reason for a reputable seller not to take the time and trouble to register with PayPal before selling a valuable item, and this then gives the buyer not only the comfort of knowing that eBay's PayPal has verified a lot more info about the seller but also up to $250 free cover if the thing is a fraud or $1000 if you buy from someone with high feedback. Seen in that light, PayPal's fees are not so outrageous and anyway I am convinced that the extra confidence this provided in my listings has resulted in overall higher selling prices for the AV gear I have sold which probably covers the PayPal fees anyway...