1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Old John Lewis!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by KPH, Mar 17, 2005.

1. KPH

KPH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    My Sony 32FX60 bought in Oct 2000 (with 5yr guarantee) from John Lewis died 5 weeks ago. It's been with the repair company since then, and JL have just rung to say It's beyond economic repair.

They've said I can have the value of the telly as a credit note to spend on a new TV - £999. What can I say about that for service. Fantastic! Well done JL.

Now, what TV should I buy......

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Not really service from John Lewis but just the benefit of having a 5 year warrenty?

If you got a car with free insurance and had an accident in it which the insurer fixed you wouldnt really say it was excellent service from Citroen.

But all said and done, good job it is all sorted (though 5 weeks is very long) and good luck with the new TV

3. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    KPH,

Now you see why so many Forum members can't praise JL highly enough!

Sure you can buy cheaper on the web, but for Customer Service and all round peace of mind, they're unbeatable. :clap:

(That's unbeatable with a small "u"! :rotfl: )

Good luck. :thumbsup:

4. KPH

KPH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Astaroth: The difference with JL and other suppliers is they don't mess you around. Can you imagine the hoops you would have to jump through with Dixons or Comet, even assuming you'd paid over the odds for their extended warranty.

It took 5 weeks as the repair company got three parts which each time didn't fix the problem. I've had a loan set so it could have been worse.

Anyway, JL will always get my custom, providing they price match...and there's another thread or 10.

Cheers

Kev

5. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I would bee iinterested to know the terms of the JL (and others) warranty.
    Did you pay any call-out charge, did you get a loan set automaticaly or just after a long repair and was the loan set a similar size to your 32fx60.
    Many thanks...Nigel

6. KPH

KPH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Nige

When the set wouldn't turn on I rang JL up. They said to ensure that it wasn't anything silly as they would charge a call-out fee (no idea how much) if it wasn't a fault. As it turned out it kept blowing fuses so no issues there.

I first reported the fault on a Wed. By Thu am the repair company (not JL) had picked up the TV and left a Hitachi 28" as a loan set. It isn't brilliant, but much better than the 14" portable I used for one night.

I think that they'll attempt a repair as long as there are spare parts available. In my case they were looking at a lengthy investigation after finding that changing the most obvious components didn't fix it.

My only question is does all the £999 credit I have (what I spent on the TV in Oct 2004 after price matching them down from £1299) have to be spent on a TV, or can I get something else as well. My guess it's all got to be spent on the TV. I can't complanin though.

Still fancy a CRT rather than a flat panel as I don't want to spend anymore. Just hope I can find something with as good a picture as the 32FX60 - it was a cracking set.

Cheers - Kev

7. extechieman

extechieman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    Thanks for that, it sounds like good service.
    I wonder if anyone else has anymore examples of good or bad service.
    Nigel

9. KPH

KPH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    extechieman: Sorry - the TV was bought in Oct 2000! Must book myself on the learn to read what I type before I post course :lesson:

10. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    JL are feckin fantastic :thumbsup:

Only place on the face of the earth that I could find a polo neck sweater to satisfy the dress code in the RBS private box at Cheltenham tomorrow (collar and tie too formal, can't camp it up enough for a cravat)

I know it's ever so slightly :offtopic:, but I just wanted to brag :clap: :clap: :clap:

11. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Unless there are any special terms the credit note should be able to be spent on what ever you want - though with these kinds of things you may end up being identified as a potential fraud character if your TV dies and you then dont buy a replacement TV with the pennies they give you

12. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I had John Lewis in today with a replacement Toshiba 36ZP48P (the first one had a blown left integrated speaker), all I had to do was to unscrew the TV from the stand and leave it on the stand to be removed, 3 chaps turned up 2 luggers and 1 techincal installer to check reconnection. They lifted the old set off stand, repackaged it in its original box, took that one away. Brought in the new one, unpacked it, installed it on the stand (anyone knowing what a 36ZP48P weighs when lifting will appreciate that), screwed it down, technical installer hooked up the ariel & Freeview box.

Bloody top drawer service. I think at times like this its worth singing their praises, and If I think about the hassle I would have had returning an internet bought 36” CRT with a one year warranty, £200 difference seems very very small for a 5 year warranty.

10/10 service from my experience. You cant beat them TBH.

13. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    After a few phone calls around various stores, got JL to price match me a 36zp48 for £884.95, so this could be had with cash tp spare.

14. couchspud

couchspud
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at getting one of these, ssshhh, don't tell the missus!

Who did JL price match to? Is it available elsewhere within the JL store network for that price?

Cheers.

15. keygrip

keygrip
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mcaw,

Can you please explain how and in which store you got your price match on a 36zp48 for £884.95. :) I was thinking of buying from their website at over £1000 but at less than £900 I would definitely be ordering :thumbsup:

Thanks

16. mcaw

mcaw
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Took a bit of doing. Cheadle my local store wouldn't play ball, and neither would Liverpool. Rang Solihull, and gave them 3 people to price match against, Sound+Vision Bolton, RGB Direct London and Digital Point Birmingham. They came back and ok'd a price of £884.49. Not sure which one they actually matched against. Funny thing is, I actually pick it up from Cheadle !!. So a refusal from one store, doesn't neccessarily mean all stores won't. I was very upfront, and told them I could buy it cheaper on the internet, but wanted the JL 5 year warranty

17. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    That's correct.

As I've said many times (do a search for "JL"!), you'll get different results from different stores, different people within a store, and even the same person from one day to the next!

You just have to make sure that they give up before you do. :lesson:

Glad you've got a result. :thumbsup:

18. jenic

jenic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
  19. KPH

KPH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, went into JL tonight. They gave me a credit note to spend on a new TV. If the TV came to less than £999 they would give me the difference back in cash.

In the end, it was a choice between a Panny 32PD50 (£1099), Tosh 36ZP48 (£1095) or Philips 9509 (£995). the Tosh was too big, and they wouldn't order a 32" version. The wife wanted the Philips as she hated the black surround on the Panny, but in the end picture quality won out and I handed over £100 and ordered the PD50.

The PD50 @ £1099 [and they are on an undersale at that price - website is £1295] is quite abit overpriced compared to online stores, but if you think I have a new TV with another 5 yr guarantee for £100 it isn't bad. I've just got to convince the wife that she can live with it :rolleyes:

As an aside, I think the choice in 32" CRTs was very limited. A couple of Sonys I looked at didn't have a great picture compared to the PD50 and ZP48. I guess plasmas and LCDs are what people want, but I don't want to pay those prices.

Kev

20. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    If it helps your case, Mrs TG thinks our PD30 is wonderful and she's VERY particular.

Well, look who she married! ;)

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

21. Aletank

Aletank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK Result :D
    I've just been back to JL Liverpool and got them to price match MKaTV.Com - £848.99 :D I wrote their name,address,phone number on a peice of paper, spoke to a differnt guy than yesterday, said I'm interested in the Toshiba and would like a price match with that shop. He went away to phone up and came back and said "no problem" It will be delivered Friday!!
    I also wrote the details of, Digital Point, PRC Direct, RGB Hi-Fi & Video down just incase but wasn't needed.

22. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Aletank,

Excellent news. :clap:

(I think your above quote underlines what I posted earlier. You just have to keep going until somebody gets it right!)

Happy viewing. :smashin: