Quantcast

Good old CRT still doing the biz

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Gave my mum my old Toshiba 36ZP18 some years ago (must be about 10 or 12 years ago I think) and it’s still a cracking unit - sat here watching The Jungle Book (on BBC HD, albeit via scart) and it still looks great, if a little small

1577380503914.jpeg

Rob20

My parents had a 32" Sony from 2001 that was still going strong until my mum replaced it for a 'smaller' 40" LCD a few years ago. I remember thinking the screen was huge when we got it! Compared to my 14" tv I had at uni it was. Then in 2008 I bought a 50" Pioneer plasma, 2018 a 65" LG C8 OLED. When I see a 32" screen now I can't believe how tiny it looks, how big screens have become the norm and how my friends though I was a bit odd having such a large tv when I bought my 50". My mum told me she thought having such a large tv was a bit chavie!

Timmy C

Distinguished Member
If it wasn't for the size I would have kept my last Sony CRT as a bedroom TV. I was very sad to see it go.

Skyfall74

I had CRT right until 2011, a 36" Philip's. Using line interpolation it increased the number of scan lines from 575 to 833. It was an amazing picture, way ahead of its time. Everyone was jealous of me back in 2002 when I first bought it.

Cost me £1625. Ridiculous when you consider what that would buy you now, and that's not even taking inflation into consideration!

The sad end came when I listed it on ebay for £1. I struggled to find a buyer, its 70Kg weight putting people off.

Eventually a man and his son came and lifted it with great difficulty to their car. It was for his daughter whose tv had broke and didn't want her Christmas money spent on getting her a new tv.

It was both a relief and sad to see it go.

Last edited:

kenfowler3966

I had one of those Toshiba's waited until it came down to £1800 before buying it. A fortune back then and it took 3 tries before I got a good one, but then it lasted 10+ years, until I passed it on to someone at work. Best tv around then in my opinion and came with 5:1 sound, and 4 corner speakers, so good audio as well.
Should be on a matching stand though?

MrNismo

I miss using the NAMCO G-con gun and PS1 Time Crisis on my old CRT TV.
Doesn't work on plasma or LCD TVs.
Had I known I'd of kept it just for Time Crisis!!!!!