Good Offer Or Not?

Elrond

I'm probably going to do the OU course in photography and thinging of getting the 400D for it. So I'm just wondering if the following from Jessops is a good deal or not?

Canon EOS 400D + 18-55mm Lens
Tamron 55-200mm f4-5.6 DI lens
Jessops 1GB Compact Flash card
Centon D-Trek BP500 Backpack
+ So Many Prints

For £619 and the minus the £50 cash back making £569.

Or should I wait until after the couse end's so see whats about then? Bearing in mind my budget isn't huge.

Cool-hand

Novice Member
Hi

Maybe you might be able to get an email over to them to see what the tutor recommends as a guide. Im sure they use different cameras for different styles.

Good luck with the course, quite fancy it myself!

Rgds

CH

iGiDK

Hi there, the package seems ok but if you've no qualms about shopping online you can get far more bang for buck IMO.

Canon 400D + Kit Lens + 2GB Sandisk Extreme III CF card = £476.20 from amazon.co.uk here

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO for £109 here

Lowepro Slingshot 200AW for £39.99 here

£625.19 all in and you've got a better CF card, a better lens (from HK mind you, if you go here you get it for £129), a better bag, and finally:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/ -> 40 free prints when you sign up

Elrond

Thanks iGiDK

I had a look at the lens and its a macro one. This probably sounds daft to you lot, but me being new to this, can a macro lens be used for non macro photography quite easily?

If I had that lens and the 18-50 kit one would that be quite a good combination of lengths?

Also I don't think the 400D has auto stabilisation and I was wondering if this may be a problem?

Hi there, the package seems ok but if you've no qualms about shopping online you can get far more bang for buck IMO.

Canon 400D + Kit Lens + 2GB Sandisk Extreme III CF card = £476.20 from amazon.co.uk here

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO for £109 here

Lowepro Slingshot 200AW for £39.99 here

£625.19 all in and you've got a better CF card, a better lens (from HK mind you, if you go here you get it for £129), a better bag, and finally:

http://www.photobox.co.uk/ -> 40 free prints when you sign up

allymac123

Novice Member
A macro lens is the best of both worlds really. It can close focus for when you need it but be you just like any other lens the rest of the time.

I'd say that a good combination of lenghts. That what I started off with length wise.

No the 400D doesn't have inbuilt stabilisation. If you wanted a lense with IS the cheapest telephoto is the Canon 70-300 @ ~£350. It is a big advantage having IS but it isn't usfull in all cases as quite often you need a fast shutter speed to freeze the action any way which IS is no help with.

BananaTiger

Also, with the launch of the 40d, I think canon are releasing some budget IS lenses - 18-55 and 55-200 from what I hear.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom