1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good News....

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Johndm, Jul 27, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Taken from Mediabullt web site..

EXCLUSIVE
    27/07/03 Sky+ Dual Recording takes a step further
    A source at Sky has mentioned to Sky Digi Online that Sky+ users will have their £10 access fee dropped as from 1st October 2003. Also, Dual recording will become a reality in Mid-August. Sky will also be launching three new Sky+ boxes from October time, with a push towards Sky+ as the default reciever in the maketplace in time for the Christmas sales. More on this as we get it in the coming weeks.
    News Feed: Simon Ough Source: undisclosed News Break: 01:14

2. ISHANTY

ISHANTY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    oh that would be brill!! would have more dosh to buy more ifi gear. does thi apply to all sky+ owners

3. dennis

dennis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    hope this isn't a wind up!it would be great news,the first time sky has done anything nice for theire customers,being disabled and on a pension(poor old sod)i have to watch the pennies,but sky+ is great ,couldent do without it.

yay!great,wonderfull,smashing.

sorry,time for my pills.:clap: :clap: :clap:

4. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    great news .

Has Starburst heard anything as he knows everything about Sky ?

5. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

:blush:
    It's not that I know more than anyone else I just happen to be more active in other forums and newsgroups so tend to pick little things up and then spread em around as and when needed:)

It would certainly be good news if the report is accurate but at best mediabullet and other sites of that ilk are at best a news portal and at worse a rumour mill, nothing wrong either way as long as you except a report can be inaccurate even with the best intentions.
    I can't say I have much confidence in an report that has a "Undisclosed source":)
    The dual recording has been on the cards for over a year and has long been suspected of making it's debut on the pre-xmas promotions. There has also been rumours of a price cut in the SKY+ subscription which would make sense as competition in HD recording is increasing. A total removal of the subscription with no catches would be surprising but most welcome:)
    Three new SKY+ models is unexpected. There is the Amstrad version which could appear before the end of the year and there has been talk about a broadband enabled unit for use with ADSL and Cable modems. There could be a grain on true though as PACE have a twin tuner unit which could be easily adapated to match SKY's requirment for a premium SKY+ unit (Think Pace TWIN but with Videoguard and satellite hookup).
    SKY+ as the default STB is very hard to accept unless it becomes part of a subsidised install along side the current standard digiboxes. I fail to see how this could happen in the next year or so unless all current manufactuers either make a SKY+ unit or pull out of supplying SKY altogether.
    The bit plus in supplying subsidised hardware is you get a large customer base pretty quickly but the down side is that you are limited to how the hardware can develop if you continue in the subsidised model. SKY+ has done this by being a premium product that is sold retail, this has prevented normal digibox users from feeling ripped off with second rate hardware.

I hope the report is spot on but the cynic I am can't help but see the cracks :)

6. savage

savage

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well ive read your posts for over a year and theve always been spot on .

as you say I hope the report is true just didn`t want to get to worked up yet .

lets hope we can get something back guys .

7. preston

preston
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    A sky engineer on a recent visit to retune my set top box (not sky+) told me to wait until after Xmas before upgrading. He seem to think that the £10 subscription would be going then. He said it would be a one off £100 installation fee. He sounded quite confident.