Good News on Dav-s550

B

bruno_scalera

I've just been on Tottenham Court Road and went into one of an array of electronics stores. A Sony UK guy happened to be in one of them whilst i was enquiring about the DAV-S550 system and the subtitle bug that is plaguing it.

He said that all new systems from now on will have the problem resolved. He also showed me a cd which corrected the problem, i assume for existing owners.

Let's hope his words are true, as i'm dying to get one as they are rare at the moment probably due to the subtitle problem.

Thought i'd pass this useful info on.

Cheers

Bruno

Thanks Bruno, I e-mailed Sony yesterday to see if they had an update, will post if they respond. Apart from the irritating subtitle bug I am very pleased with the unit and can highly recommend it.

yes they do look very cool indeed, can't wait to get my hands on one :) and most comments i've seen about it are very positive excluding the now resolved subtitle issue :)

Hello

I am awaiting the DAV S880

but basically I know it's gonna sound the same

How do you find PL II ... do you use it alot fot your TV broadcasts?

and could you please confirm if it has component and or/RGB scart

thanks

I have just spoken to Sony and they say that at the moment the fix is not available. So It looks like the subtitles are here to stay a bit longer.

It has component out and s-video out, but not an RGB scart according to the sony catalogue, which is common with the c770 and s550. Correct me if i'm wrong fellow forum members.

Cheers

Bruno

STILL NO FIX FOR SUBTITLE PROBLEMS
Unsold Machines have been recalled worldwide. I have read that Sony are looking to resupply the machines to the US in November
In the Us the Davs 550 is called the dream machine 770 more like nightmare 770.

Very little help from sony customer support. It would make the problem more bearable to live with if Sony gave us some feedback instead of just ignoring us.:mad:

I have sent an E-mail to What hi-fi as thay gave this product such a good review, maybe they will be interested in taking up this problem with Sony after all they did give this the product of the year in its class!

If anyone else wants to e-mail them the address is

[email protected]

The more that E-mail the more likely thay will be to help us.

This is not inteded as a dig at sony or its product, more about the lack of communication.

I really don't know what is all the fuss about!

I never watch a dvd without a subtitle :cool:

I bet this system is for non-english speaking lands only :)

Had a reply from What Hifi, they are not aware of this problem and have asked me some questions, will let you know if I here anymore.

To anyone that reads this and is thinking of buying the DAVS550 when they get the subtitle problem sorted this unit will deserve 5 out of 5!

Good news, got a phone call from Sony today telling me a fix is now available for the problems and have been instructed to take the unit to my local repair centre.

Lets hope it works as when this problem is sorted I will be 100% happy with this unit.

Hi bobble

how do you find PLII on the DAV550
Somebody posted that it lacks bass

Regards

Originally posted by rmsdev
Hi bobble

how do you find PLII on the DAV550
Somebody posted that it lacks bass

Regards

Hi

I have no problems with bass, however I would say the bass in PLII is probably not as well defined as with a DD or DTS soundtrack.

It probably depends what you are comparing to I have heard mission flat panel speakers/Sub with Denon Amp (costing well over double the DAV) and the bass is in a completly different league with this setup, however at the price point I don't really think the Sony unit can be faulted (appart from subtitle problems of course).

Bobble, Please let us know how you get on.
I've just bought one, and have the same problem with subtitles. Otherwise, it's a fab bit of kit. Stuff magazine this month say it's the dogs doodies.
On the component video,( not you bobble) if your telly's got an s-video socket, use it. I've tried everywhere to get a component video-scart and failed.......... just have to get a new telly...... anyone got any ideas?
Njiri.

Anyone that has this unit and is thinking of getting it repaired, it is worth waiting a little while longer and living with subtitle glitch as my unit has been classed as being "beyond repair", not bad considering it is just over a month old! It is being replaced by a new unit but they are currently unavailble. So if you are thinking of getting yours fixed it is worth waiting until stocks are again availble as it looks like I could be in for a long wait.

I'm a bit of a novice but bought one of these this week.
I'm now getting worried! Could somebody tell me what the subtitle problem is? I dont appear to have a problem yet!

With regard to connections. I have an old SONY TV which has only SCART and S-Video input. The S-Video is round the front though and a little ugly.

Cant you get a S-video to Scart lead?

Which will produce the greatest quality picture?

Thanks.:confused:

Originally posted by ghdk
I'm now getting worried! Could somebody tell me what the subtitle problem is? I dont appear to have a problem yet!

With regard to connections. I have an old SONY TV which has only SCART and S-Video input. The S-Video is round the front though and a little ugly.

Cant you get a S-video to Scart lead?

Which will produce the greatest quality picture?

Hi ghdk, i've just posted a question about this here.

Good luck,

Giselle
XXX

Originally posted by ghdk

The problem is subtitles come on at the start of nearly all DVD's, and always come on at the layer change, also subtitles appear when there is a sign on the screen. You must be one of the lucky few who has purchsaed the unit with new firmware.

Got my DAVS550 replaced with new unit (not repaired) received back today, so far so good, no subtitles at all and also noticed on some DVD's such as Shrek, orange lines under menu items now display correctly and dont carry on to far.

Strangely the picture on this unit seems sharper than the last unit?

Now I have trouble free unit I am 100% happy with this unit at the pricepoint.

Here in Hong Kong we get UK versions of things (historical
reasons, I suppose :) ). I bought a DAV-S550 locally which has
the subtitles bug. Using the entry to maintenance mode shown
on www.dvdchips.co.uk I found the following:

DAV-S550 SP
V.107

IF conf 1.06
Syskon 1.07 (8EA6)
DAV-S550
Reg 03
Cfg 07262410
Front End V 1.17

[HK is part of DVD region 3.]

Sony Hong Kong promises to change out the system board
for one with the new software, and I will report it's versions
if the upgrade is successful.

It was very difficult to get Sony to acknowledge the problem
and this forum's posts turned the corner (thank you).

If anyone who doesn't have the subtitle problem could post
their version numbers that would be helpful.

--Sam

Sony replaced my mainboard (?), the new firmware
version is 1.22(?) [maybe 1.24]. I also notice somewhat
improved video quality (composite) as mentioned by the other
writer. Apparently, these machines aren't field upgradable.

While I'm happy to have the thing fixed, I'm disappointed
in Sony's denial/non-communication. So disappointed in fact
I'll rethink future Sony purchases. It took like two or three
months of wrestling with Sony to get a fix, a 90 day labor
warranty may well have expired by now.

Sony certainly doesn't want unnecessary upgrade calls but
when the customer DOES call in with a bonafide problem they
need to step up to the responsibility.

Yes - Sony, ignore it and it WILL go away - and take it's check-
book with it.

--Sam

Originally posted by renotech
Here in Hong Kong we get UK versions of things (historical
reasons, I suppose :) ). I bought a DAV-S550 locally which has
the subtitles bug. Using the entry to maintenance mode shown
on www.dvdchips.co.uk I found the following:

DAV-S550 SP
V.107

IF conf 1.06
Syskon 1.07 (8EA6)
DAV-S550
Reg 03
Cfg 07262410
Front End V 1.17

[HK is part of DVD region 3.]

Sony Hong Kong promises to change out the system board
for one with the new software, and I will report it's versions
if the upgrade is successful.

It was very difficult to get Sony to acknowledge the problem
and this forum's posts turned the corner (thank you).

If anyone who doesn't have the subtitle problem could post
their version numbers that would be helpful.

--Sam

My replacement unit is

IF CON 1.06
Sys Con 1.24
Front end 1.17

Looks like sys con is only upgrade.

I've had my S550 machine nearly a month now and I've noticed that on a few occasions it exhibited a combination of frame skipping and short pausing.

It doesn't happen all the time but has happened with 3-4 different movies some of which were brand new!

Anybody experieneced this with their machine?

Yes, I've seen this. I am unsure if it is due to the individual
disk or the machine (DVD drive?) . As I have had new firmware
for about only one day I'll reserve judgement for a while.

Others?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom