Good news for sci fi fans

Rambo John J

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Excellent news from www.dvdfile.com

Attention sci-fi fans! Fox Home Entertainment has three much beloved classics on tap for a March 4th release. First up is the Robert Wise classic The Day the Earth Stood Still. Featuring a newly remastered transfer in its original 1.33:1 full screen aspect ratio and English, French and Spanish mono tracks, this double-sided disc includes many extras. Side one features an audio commentary by Robert Wise and Nicolas Meyer, a "MovieTone News" clip of the premiere, and the theatrical trailer; Side two includes "The Making The Earth Stand Still" documentary, a restoration comparison, 6 still galleries and trailers for other Fox sci-fi flicks. Retail is only $19.95.

Also due on March 4th is Jean Jacques Arnaud's Quest for Fire, presented in a new anamorphic widescreen transfer and 2.0 Dolby surround. Extras include an audio commentary by Arnaud and cast members Michael Gruskoff, Ron Pearlman and Rae Dawn Chong, the original 1982 "Quest For Fire Adventure" featurette, no less than 15 still galleries with commentary by Arnaud, and the trailer. Rounding out this sci-fi trio is Journey to the Center of the Earth, which is relatively bare bones. Features include a new 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and mono tracks, a restoration comparison, and trailers. Retail is but $14.95 each.

$14.95 for The Quest For Fire is astounding. That'll be cheap as chips all over the 'net. Nice.

Likewise about The Day the Earth Stood Still, brilliant film and a must have for me.:)

"Gort! Deglet ovrosco!" :D

These films are pretty old though. I think the true sci-fi fan is interested in high-octane action and sfx (special effects). I don't suppose these films can offer that!! :rolleyes:

If you want some real sci-fi action check out ID4 or Starship Troopers. ;)

DVD God should really think before pontificating about what "The true Sci Fi fan..." likes or doesn't like. By the way, the abbreviation "Sci-Fi" has always been used as a derogatory term among Science Fiction writers and fans to describe trashy and childish SF (the prefered abbreviation of "the true SF fan").

Science Fiction is first and foremost an arena of ideas. All the SFX in the world are useless without the basis of a good story / theme / idea. Dressing a movie up with "Sci-Fi" trappings and CGI doesn't make it good Science Fiction, it just makes for good visual effects.

I'd sooner watch an intelligent film with cheesy SFX and monaural sound, than a stupid one with state of the art CGI and DTS 6.1. A single frame of 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' is to be treasured more than every foot of a turkey like 'Independence Day'.

Would DVD God say that Robert Heinlein (author of 'Starship Troopers') was a "true" fan? He considered 'The Day the Earth Stood Still' to be a classic of the genre. It also figured prominently in recent top 10 movies poll of leading SF authors and professionals within the field.

Interestingly the majority of selections in the poll were pre-'Star Wars', widely regarded by "true SF fans" as the movie where the rot set in, i.e. when the genre stopped being about ideas and imagination and turned into an intergalctic shoot-em-up for the kiddies.

As I've said before on these pages, if you want real Science Fiction, drag yourself away from the Home Cinema screen and read a book. Authors like Heinlein, Bradbury, Ellison, Dick and their ilk manifest more imagination and ideas in a single page than the Lucases and Roddenberrys of this world have ever shown in their entire careers.

Jeez! 'Star Wars' has a lot to answer for.

Originally posted by DVD God
:eek:These films are pretty old though. I think the true sci-fi fan is interested in high-octane action and sfx (special effects) :confused: . I don't suppose these films can offer that!!:eek: If you want some real sci-fi action check out ID4 or Starship Troopers.:rolleyes:

Oh!! the_ pauley, hold me back from him, the true sci-fi fan :confused: , ow, ah, anger growing.:D :D

The Day the Earth Stood Still is the reason most sci-fi films exist today, this was a pioneer of good sci-fi on the screen and is sacrilidge for anybody to deny it. One of my all time favourites, this one.:D :D

I agree Sci-fi can be good whether it is old or new as long as it has the right plot. I've just re-watched The Thing From Another World made in 1951 in black and white. Every time it comes on television I cannot resist seeing it again.

'Watch the skies'.:eek:

Hey hey boys! Chill wit the still!

I'm juss saying that older films are never as good as modern films - I am sure they were great in their time, but you know the world has moved on!! Comparing an old sci-fi film with a modern one is the same as comparing a book with a film - no contest, the film is just better cos it has the speciall fx to blow you away!!

Modern CGI & Digital sound just make for a superior product, its not the old fim-makers fault - I am sure that in the future people will look at our films and say "UUrggh!! Only 2D!" ;)

Comparing an old sci-fi film with a modern one is the same as comparing a book with a film - no contest, the film is just better cos it has the speciall fx to blow you away!!

I've never heard such rubbish, I take it you've never read a book then, I suggest you try it and let your brain do some work for a change, the addage a word can paint a thousand pictures is most assuredly true.

I still read books by E.E. Doc Smith from the 1950s!!

Unless the story is good, then no amount of fancy dressing up will make the story any better.

ID4: Did that remind anyone else of V:The TV mini series? Blatant rip off me thinks.

Occasionally Hollywood makes a good science fiction remake, take The Thing for example, but most of the time, it is a waste of time. I still love to watch 2001, and considering when it was made, the effects are outstanding. I hope they never attempt to re-make it.

I think that DVD GOD is probably a twelve year old boy whose parents should restrict his internet access.

Incredibly senseless comments like his can only come from one so young and lacking in experience.

I agree wth the rest of you - go and read a book DVD 'GOD' - if you are able to - and find out what real SF is all about.

Or, if you want to read something else that is topical - read Lord of the Rings - a good film, but a better book for those of us with an ounce of imagination.

Rant over.

I'm juss saying that older films are never as good as modern films - I am sure they were great in their time, but you know the world has moved on!!

Arrrgghhhhh! He's doing it again.:D Anger growing, rage rising.:D

ah, and here students we have a perfect example of "trolling" :D

Originally posted by CooperUK
if you want to read something that is topical - read Lord of the Rings

I prefer The Times myself.

As I live and breathe! The latest pearl of wisdom from DVD God is even more hilarious (and simultaneously disturbing) than his last post "...older films are never as good as modern films..."

And the basis for this conclusion is based on advances in technology, because "...Modern CGI & Digital sound just make for a superior product.."

OK so there we have it folks. Clear cut criteria on which to base our artistic evaluations.

Ergo:

'Attack of the Clones' is artistically superior to '2001: A Space Odyssey'!

The Dino DeLarentiis remake of 'King Kong' makes the 1933 original look silly!

'Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone' kicks the butt of 'Wizard of Oz'!

Gene Kelly in 'Singin' in the Rain'? P'shaw! Not while we've got Britney Spears in 'Crossroads'!

Hell, let's take the paralogia to it's logical conclusion - anything with Vin Diesel trashes 'Citizen Kane'...

Still I'm sure if Orson Welles was alive today he'd be relieved to know that DVD God generously concedes that it wasn't Orson's "...fault..." for producing such tenth-rate tat. If only Orson had CGI and DTS back in 1940! He could have produced something like... er... 'SPAWN'!!!

And why stop at film? DVD God's simple formula for artistic worth could be applied to art, music and literature:

'Mona Lisa' in tatty old oils? Bah humbug! 'Lara Croft' in CGI surely!?!?

William Shakespeare'? No, no, no! Will didn't have a typewriter did he? Therefore Barbara Cartland is the author of choice - no, hold the phone! Barbara didn't use a word processor - so it's Jeffrey Archer then...

Frank Sinatra? Billie Holiday? The Beatles? Maria Callas? No! Nasty old analogue trash! Not when we can have lovely digitally, and therefore artistically, superior Gareth Gates, Britney Spears, S Club Seven and Will Young.

You see? Artistic worth = technological sophistication!

It's so easy when you're stark raving bonkers...

Can't we start a kiddies section in the forums so these people can witter away to their hearts content to their peer group and leave the grown-ups in peace?

ID4: Did that remind anyone else of V:The TV mini series? Blatant rip off me thinks.

Even older than that - 'War of the Worlds'. Think about it - right down to both invading fleets being killed by a virus... For DVD God's benefit, that means the idea for ID4 comes originally from one of those stupid old book thingys...

Incredibly senseless comments like his can only come from one so young and lacking in experience.

Agreed, but they can also come from incredibly dim adults...

Originally posted by the_pauley
Agreed, but they can also come from incredibly dim adults...

I concur and revise my view accordingly - even if it does open up a new, and much sadder, train of thought.

Still, it does back up the statistics behind adult literacy. Have we found the 'missing link' on the AVForum in the shape of DVD God?

Perhaps he will allow himself to be filmed, for scientific purposes, on the 'technologically superior and new' DV, because, as I am sure DVD God would agree- .it just looks so much better on the big screen than actual film - such clarity of image (sic).

(sounds of hair being torn out)

http://www.playserver4.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=112610

Looks like Fox are neglecting R2 again... "The Day the Earth Stood Still Special Edition" Special Features? Interactive Menus and Scene selection. I usually don't care much for extra features, but on a classic such as this, I think it deserves them. I wonder why they decided to leave it bare bones when the documentarys had already been created for R1...
At least the price is right! I hope it's play.com that got the details wrong.

:(

Last edited:
Talking of inspiration who do you think Gort inspired?

Yep it must have been kicking round the mind of Stan the man when he created Cyclops for the X-Men. I should know look at my sign of.:cool:

Funniest thing I've read in weeks!

DVD God: You are a God indeed!

LOL!

D.

PS. I saw Quest for Fire at the Odeon in Nottingham (when it was still there). I must have been about 14. It was fantastic!

Here's a quote from an IMDB review:

We learn that even cave people have distinct personalities. We learn that they learn. Last but not least, we learn they have great, get down and get dirty sex.

Now are you honestly telling me that CGI is better than get down and get dirty sex? No, I didn't think so.

did no-one notice the multiple ;) ;) in DVD God's posts... I think he was winding you lot up either that or he does need 'dealing with'.:D You Sci-Fi (sorry SF) fans!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

On a serious note I have the R1 on pre-order and can't wait to see it again. Invaders from Mars is next on my list and as important an early sci-fi film as The Day....

Hmm, I must need glasses then, or you, because I only count exactly two :) in his posts, one in each. Where are the multiple ones then, I'm not suffering from double vision am I :confused:
At least I don't think so.
At least I don't think so.

:lesson: :D :D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom