1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good news for LCD panels in the future

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Wasabi, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    I found this article yesterday,

Will LCD finally catch up with plasmas? It will be interesting whether other panel makers will pay royalty to use this technology.

"JAPANESE newspaper the Nihon Kaizai Shimbun said that Mitsubishi has mastered a technology to improve the response speed of pixels on LCDs by 100 per cent or more.
    It’s done this by getting rid of the afterimages on screens which known as “ghosts”, said the newspaper, and invented a proprietary system called Dual Domain Bend.

It cites unnamed sources at Mitsubishi saying that this method produces a response speed of one millisecond when power is applied and five milliseconds when the lights go off and the power goes down. That, the paper said, compares to up to forty milliseconds to switch pixels on and off.

While the technique, when it gets to the manufacturing stage, will have immediate benefits for PC monitors, it will also help narrow the gap between LCD TVs and plasma displays, which have a quicker response speed."

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18269

Wasabi

2. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I think most modern lcds have a 16ms resonse time. With one of the new sharps having an 8ms time. Am I right to think there's a 1ms response time with this new technology? should remove screen smearing completely, (to the naked eye at least).

3. docjan_uk

docjan_uk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sharps are below 16 ms but none of them claim 8 ms and if they do I suspect a little fiddling of the truth!
    We were set on the PW6 but now were going to wait till around late summer 2005 to make a choice between the PW7's when the price has gone down or the model of 37 in LCD that sharp has brought out then (and hopefully the price will be a bit lower too).
    if response times are around 6 ms then theyve effectively matched or perhaps even slightly beaten plasmas... there will be NO ghosting or smearing.

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    An independant experts view I have read on the subject states that
    This was when reviewing a display based on the Sharp 37" LCD 1366x768 panel. Obviously it may be different in a cold environment, but from all the recent viewing I have seen based upon this and the 32" panel bear this out.

5. andyo

andyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ian
    where did you find a review on the new sharp? Im trying to decide on lc32GA3E or the philips 9986 but Ive been waiting for a review of the sharp.

6. sofa-spud

sofa-spud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Theres some interesting info on LCD's on Toms hardware:
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20040226/index.html

There is a link in that article to more info about reducing response time.

I've been asking the makers for info on their screens, one of the questions was the response time:
    Sharp (LC30AD1E, LC32GA3E, & LC32GD1E) 'better than 16ms'
    Philips (9985 model asked about) claim 12ms.
    Toshiba (STASIA 32WL46) claim 16ms for theirs

Samsung and Panasonic have yet to respond at all... :rolleyes:

John

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    It was actually an American panel the LC-37HV6U which on paper would appear similar to a LC-37GA1E if that version existed. The magazine article is in Widescreen Review #88 (www.widescreenreview.com) but since its a US publication, its probably available subscription only. If you are considering these two sets, also check out the Loewe Xelos SL which is not too disimmilar in full retail price. Ordered mine today :thumbsup: having failed to witness a decent demo of the 9986 and having demo'd the Loewe today a few days after viewing a demo with my my DVD player to the Sharp. The Sharp was a mightly fine picture but could not 100% do what I wanted (native @50Hz). The Loewe appeared just as good, if not better, and may do native@50Hz - but even if it doesn't im not going to wait another 6 months or so for the next gen screens that may or may not offer this.

SofaSpud - If Toms Hardware as biased as they use to be?