1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good News for BT iPlayer+, iPlayer freeview?

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by HarryAlffa, Jun 27, 2005.

1. HarryAlffa

HarryAlffa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Software Release This Week Or Next?
    current version: 4.6.22, 30-Mar-2005
    beta version: 4.6.23

I spoke to NetgemUK this morning and am told that an update of the software is due for testing this week.

He was hopeful that the software would be released late this week or early next. But of course that 's assuming it passes the test phase. If it fails then it iterates a correction phase and further testing phase.

2. HarryAlffa

HarryAlffa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is presently a problem (Software version: 4.6.22) with the Electronic Program Guide.
    The seven day EPG is "lost" when you put the iPlayer+ on standby for more than a little while. The only way to get it to reload is to switch it off at the power supply.

The software release undergoing testing (beta 4.6.23) is supposed to overcome this problem.

3. HarryAlffa

HarryAlffa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is presently a problem (Software version: 4.6.22) with recording to VCR.
    If your VCR is capable of being controlled over the scart cable (Sony: Syncro Record; Pioneer?: Direct Record) then the iPlayer+ sends a signal to the attached VCR (or DVD recorder) to tell it to start recording.
    Only recently I've found that this worked successfully if the EPG is fully loaded. However it fails to record programs later in the Timers List. When it failed I found it had lost the EPG information. From this I suggest that it is related to the EPG problem.
    Interestingly I found when I recorded The Simpsons last week my VCR told me that the recording didn't start until 18:11 (scheduled for 18:00), but it didn't miss the start of the program, it also missed out the adverts. It then recorded Scrubs (missing adverts), but failed to record Will & Grace, or further timer programs, presumably because the EPG had "faded away".
    However this relationship with the EPG is unclear, because I've set the timer for other programs when the EPG was fully loaded, but they failed.
    If the beta 4.6.23 release solves the EPG problem then hopefully it will solve this problem as well.

4. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    AFAIK 4.6.23 is NOT a beta release and it does appear to fixe the EPG problems.

In exchange for a working(ish) EPG we now have extremely unruly network behaviour, memory starvation bugs are more common and more likely to actually crash the box and the update process has been reported to decimates peoples saved bookmarks.

5. HarryAlffa

HarryAlffa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I applied the beta label, not NetgemUK, because they have not yet released it, according to them.
    Your post implies that you have specific knowledge of this version - but if it's still under test, how is this possible? Is this knowledge from another source. If so could you provide a reference?

6. HarryAlffa

HarryAlffa
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Rec. Timers list needs changed so that the programs are sorted in order of time of broadcast instead of the present reverse order of input. When you review the list to see what you've input, especially if you've done it in a disorderly manner, they can be hard to read. :thumbsdow

If I was writing the software I'd provide options to display the timer events in order of time or channel and even further options, which are to complicated to describe, but would be easy to use!

It's always bugged me that my expensive (at the time) Sony SLV-X9G vcr fails to order things by time, but my old Aiwa HV-FX2500K does.
    Now we've got Freeview boxes which are small computers, and they don't offer any sensible ordering options! :suicide:

Attached Files:

7. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174