Question Good name for the Google Assistant

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by HeavenlyWarrior, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. HeavenlyWarrior

HeavenlyWarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi,

Just thought I'd start a fun thread after I got off speaking with Google in regards to controlling my smart home products.

They said they could bring the functionality that allows users to choose their own wake word, which will enable users to essentially rename the Google Assistant to whatever you want. So, instead of saying "Hey Google" you can call it Jeff or something (like how Tony Stark calls his JARVIS). Supposedly having a more human name makes you feel like it is a part of the family or something - I guess this is why Amazon named their Alexa and Microsoft named theirs Cortana.

What would you call yours?

2. Lesmor

Lesmor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    Any more info on changing the trigger name as previously you were not able to do that
    You can with Alexa I call my Amazon dot "computer" so if I can change the Google mini I would make it the same, hopefully without having to use "Hey"

3. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    If it could talk like 'Samantha' from the film Her, then I'd go with that.....Otherwise just a number maybe.....Hey number 9.....

4. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,272
    There's been rumours and code appearing in the Home app regarding being able to change the wake word for a while.

Personally I think it is coming but is more likely to be a set of carefully chosen options to choose from rather than a free choice. There's no doubt quite a bit of science involved in choosing a wake name, it has to be easily distinguishable without causing false activations, all of the assistants have multiple syllable wake words.

5. Lesmor

Lesmor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,170
    Ah so the original post is confusing as it suggests the option of changing the wake word is already available

6. HeavenlyWarrior

HeavenlyWarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    It was actually Alexa that got me wanting to change it on the Mini. I call mine Echo as I think it's cooler. No further info though as they said it was "actively" being looked into as it was a highly requested suggestion. I guess Home users are wanting this feature like the Echo does.