Good musical surround amp for about £500

sted

Standard Member
Have just ordered the Monitor Audio Radius 270's in the hope that they will do a decent enough job with music when not having to do movie and xbox duties. So, can anyone recommend an amp around the £500 mark that will also do a good enough job with music? It will be used to play all the mp3's on my Media Center (which will connect to the amp via optical or co-ax). Am quite happy to pay less than £500 of course but not too much more :)

Dankeech

I suggest T753 would be nice. £500 on the nose new.
I love my MA/NAD combo dearly, though you'll see many other good suggestions too. It'll be what's right for you as a personal pref though.

Hope someone with your speakers joins this thread. Fingers crossed.

Dan.

sted

Standard Member
Thanks for the advice. The one that What Hi Fi seem to love is the YAMAHA DSP-AX757SE - has anyone got any experience of this?

Bee-Man

Novice Member
To many to mention - all the usual suspects, Pioneer, SONY, Yamaha and DENON have decent quality in that price range..

Just be SURE that the AV receiver you buy has a compression enhancer facilirty- which will artificially, but effectively give more presence/body to your compressed music files.

I have the YAMAHA RX-V559 (use it for movies mainly) but it does make a very good fist when hooked up to my PC and iTunes.....

Cheers....

sted

Standard Member
i take it that the RX-V559 has the compression enhancer? does it have lip synching delay as well? i hadn't considered getting a DAB tuner but now i've looked at the amp, i'd quite like one :)

A

alphabet

There is off course another culprit to add to the mix:D Cambridge Audio 540RV2:thumbsup: MUCH lower in price with more musicality than any of the receivers mentioned;)

sted

Standard Member
hi alphabet
interesting that you should say that as my mate as been trying to persuade me to go for one of them. is it genuinely more musical than the others? if so that may be my choice as i probably won't use half of the features on the more expensive models (although i guess the compressed music enhancer is a nice feature in theory)
cheers
ed

Dankeech

alphabet said:
There is off course another culprit to add to the mix:D Cambridge Audio 540RV2:thumbsup: MUCH lower in price with more musicality than any of the receivers mentioned;)
Hiya Alphabet:hiya: , I'm guessing you've heard the other models though from your post. The Cambridge Audio certainly gets some thumbs up on the forums within it's price range, but does the CA 540RV2 really beat my T753 for instance?

I've got to say I'm very impressed with my reciever's musicality.

Admitedly I haven't heard the 540RV2. I did have a CA C500/P500 preamp poweramp non-av combination and thought the NAD wiped the floor with it, much as the C/P combo was nice. OF course they are older than the Azur but were purely Hifi equip from same manufacturer.

Dan

A

alphabet

I have audioned all the receivers mentioned and the most musical were CA, NAD and some way off Marantz.

The Yamaha's and Denons are good in an HT role and many owners believe that they are good in a music role as well, but once you compare them to more musical units, you would realize the difference.

The CA and NAD does have a different sonic signatures so try to listen to both using the same speakers.

Any other questions, do PM me:)

Bee-Man

Novice Member
Sted,

Buy a 200 quid AV receiver - Yamaha or something comparable at that price range, and spend the other 300 quid on a decent second hand music amp.

Best of both worlds and close enough to the same amount of money...

Just my two cents........:hiya:

Knyght_byte

Novice Member
Bee-Man said:
Sted,

Buy a 200 quid AV receiver - Yamaha or something comparable at that price range, and spend the other 300 quid on a decent second hand music amp.

Best of both worlds and close enough to the same amount of money...

Just my two cents........:hiya:
aye, if you find music important i'd go with this option......look second hand for the receiver so you get a decent one anyhow, then spend the rest on a nice stereo amp :)
(making sure first that the receiver has pre-outs, without these it wont work..lol)

Falp

Novice Member
Marantz 7500 or NAD 753 are the most musical AV Receivers at that price IMHO.

proux

Novice Member
...or, following from knyghtbyte's idea, buy the Cambridge Audio AVR, and you still have money left to add a cheap and highly rated CA stereo amp if you think you need it!

(assuming the AVR has pre-outs, and also with the caveat that my Richer Sounds didn't have a demo room and wouldn't loan me anything to try at home, so that put me right off...)

jhkuo

Novice Member
Knyght_byte's idea is definitely the way to go, I bought a 2106 for around £400 (including the discount when purchased with other speakers), and a second hand Arcam A65+ for £145, granted the total is slightly above your £500 budget, however this combination does excellent sound in both worlds for the money spent.

Falp

Novice Member
I'll add stereo power amp to my Marantz SR5600 if I decide to maintain myself in surround sound (only 2 months of surround :rotfl: )...

Or I'll trade it for an Advance Acoustics MAP305DA and keep my DVD player as the source... :smashin: http://www.advance-acoustic.com/en-product.php?id=25

mickbirch2000

Here's another option, pick up a second hand Denon AVC-A10SE on Ebay they go for £200-300 & I cannot recomend it highly enough, originally sold for £1300 & it is superb with music especially SACD, i have never heard an AV amp better!
Mick