1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Music on AV Receiver (Sony STRDB795?)

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DeeDee, Nov 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. DeeDee

DeeDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm still looking for a good AV Receiver for about £200 (preferably not more..).

I've seen people say the Sony STR 790 is good with music - and reviews back this up.. but is the 795 the new version? If it is, is it as good? Cus' I would be tempted to pay a bit more for the 795..

Speakers are,

2 x Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 Plus Bookshelf Speakers
    2 x Wharfedale Diamond DFS18 Rear Speakers
    1 x Wharfedale Diamond 8 Plus Centre Speaker.

Probably, 80% music, 20% film but.. I don't want two units really.. a good single AV unit.

As for music - I listen to dance/trance mainly.. and I'm using some £5 JNC computer speakers at the moment.. so I'm guessing *Anything* would be better?

I don't want great performance, I just want good performance.. for a good price.. any other receivers I should look at? The Denon 1705 caught my eye but dunno if it's any good on the stereo side of things.. oh, and the Marantz SR4400.
    I would prefer Silver, but if a Black receiver comes along and is superior, then I'd probably take it.

If it makes any difference, this is going to be connected to the Digital Coxial Output on my computer! I'm going to play DVD's and CD's from my PC..

Thanks for any help.

2. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yes, the 795 is the replacement for the 790.

795 is upgraded to 7 channels rather than 6 has slightly more power and an extra co-axial input.

I'm very happy using my 790 for music duties, far better than I expected especially in direct mode using analogue inputs.

3. DeeDee

DeeDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Argh, this is a problem! You start looking.. and then you increase budget a bit.. then think, well, ok a bit more and it spirals out of control! Hehe.

Looking at the Sony STR-DB795 which isn't too bad at £220.. and apparently very good on stereo. I've also looked at the Marantz 5400OSE which is nice.. but it's WAY over budget.. so dunno. Also, a Marantz 4400.. which is about £179 I think? Again.. very nice price..

As stereo is my main concern.. I'm thinking like this: I might aswell spend a bit more on an AV receiver to get good stereo.. then having to buy a seperate amp later!

I liked what I read about the Sony.. how it went against some proper stereo amps and they couldn't tell.. which is whats swaying me - but then, people say it's buzzing? Surely that can't be right and should be fixable under warrenty? :S

4. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    The buzzing can be fixed under warranty, however if all db795 are getting this buzzing that would point to a design fault and you may be in for a long wait for it to resolved.
    I have not seen a single thread on this forum from anyone that doesn't appear to have this buzzing problem

5. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    One must assume that since all the mags rated it so highly back in June/July on this year the machines that they are given were hand built pre-production samples.
    It would be useful when mags review machines that they should state if the unit was off the shelf or a pre-production sample

6. DeeDee

DeeDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's whats worrying. :(

7. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    if you are looking at the Marantz 4400 and don't mind black only you can get it from superfi for £99 from next saturday at the following stores only birmingham, coventry,newcastle, nottingham and stoke
    models will be pot luck ranging from brand new boxed, ex-demo, ex service you would need to ring stores for details.

8. DeeDee

DeeDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin:

I think I'll give them a ring in a week then. Thanks for letting me know!

I think I'd be happy with the 4400.. as it's going on the comp etc.. I don't think I need a really high end setup.. as long as it can play music relativly well and also do DVD's ok, then I'll be happy!

9. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I,m about 80% music as well and after a few demos i actually brought a pioneer vsx-d814.the stereo not as good as marantz(in my opinion)but the pioneer excels at av and tipped the balance for me.When i took amp home i hooked it up to two pioneer S-H510 speakers (which drop to 30Hz)and it was a different beast.I am totally happy with its stereo performance now.At the end of the day its about preference so go and demo some amps,and take along some of your tunes to demo with you.I spent 2 weeks before i finally chose.Good luck :thumbsup:

p.s. sr4400 at £99 top value as vinny41 says

10. DeeDee

DeeDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yea, well, I'll go into SuperFI at the weekend.. and see. Hopefully they'll have a demo room.. but the 4400 is looking good at £99! Hehe.. Don't wanna spend loads when, to be honest, I won't benefit from it!

Thanks guys!

11. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    99?! lol just paid 120 for one 2nd hand. Grrrr always happens to me. Anyways I am 80% music if not more atm and it's wiping the floor with my NAD C320BEE for dance music! I DJ also and it's doing the business nicely.

For 99 quid mate... DONT *NOT* BUY IT!! Bargain and a competent stereo amp for your music tastes :)

12. DeeDee

DeeDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :smashin:

I might just have to get one then ;) Will be cool if they do have them in for £99!

I'll let you know how it goes!

13. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Nice one :)

Also treat it as an experiment for that much. No doubt you know about the ol' Stereo amps are better than AV amps for tunes... so see how you go with an SR4400 if you get one for 100 notes. I had a cheap Marantz PM4000 stereo amp before my NAD, which was mint but not powerful, hence the NAD, which was powerful but not mint. So stuck to what I knew and went Marantz and it's a really lively amp. I *have* heard better sound quality but for my kinda music it's got plenty of life and the additional channels are kinda useful for partay mode if I'm doing a bit of DJ'ing ;)

Good luck with it!

14. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    deedee,
    I would suggest you either demo during the week or buy blind. the advert was in this month current what-hifi
    I suspect if you leave your demo until saturday by the time you have finished there will be none left.
    Once again only available at stores listed above, no pr-order is available, ad implies 1st come 1st served from 09:00 Saturday morning. next best price I have seen is about £180

15. DeeDee

DeeDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea, but for £99.. buying blind is probably a good idea.. cus' I can talk myself out of something as quick as I can talk myself in!

Can I go wrong for £99? I'm guessing probably not..

Now, the question is, do I get up on Saturday and wait at 9am at the doors? If it's been advertised, I'm guessing they'll go quick! :smashin:

16. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Maybe phone 'em to ask if its deffo the case, and if so get your sleeping bag ready cuz you're gonna be in for a cold night come friday :p

As for going wrong at 99... not @ all. Ebay is your friend ;)

17. DeeDee

DeeDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just rung SuperFi, there's only one left.. and about 3/4 people want it.. first come first served.. not got a chance, heh.

18. JudgeBaxter

JudgeBaxter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    May have a Silver Marantz 5400 (not the OSE) available after the weekend. It's only 4 weeks old and would be within your original budget......if your interested, your welcome to first refusal as it will only end up on here or E-bay at a later date. Will confirm whether I'm defo selling it after the weekend as I need to have a proper "demo" session with it's potential replacement before I decide.

cheers,

dave. (JudgeBaxter)

19. DeeDee

DeeDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a lot of messing about and about 100 miles travelling, I got a great deal on a Sony STR-DB790.. :smashin:

20. Stokie Dave

Stokie Dave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How great a deal? :)

More importantly, hows it sounding? Nice one :D

21. DeeDee

DeeDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, you can tell me if it's a good deal or not?
    Got it for £150.. in Black. Was on show in shop..

I can't fully test it... the bloke at the shop said I could play with it over the weekend and if I don't like it, he'll take it back. I can only test with Stereo tho.. as I don't have Coax cables etc.. to link to Computer/DVD. I just have my Diamond 8.1 fronts connected at the moment.. and first impressions, are that it's very good.

I do have a limited experience of what stereo's sound like I'll admit.. but, from what I've heard.. it's no different to any of the dedicated amps I've heard.. it sounds perfect.

Listened to Radio1 and a few CD's (Trance) and it's very cool.. :smashin:

As for the surround side of things, I'll have to wait until I have all the interconnects etc.. and it's all setup.. at the moment, it's just on the floor with the speakers next to it!

22. DeeDee

DeeDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I'm going to keep it.

I didn't get the remote or instructions for it.. so when I ring and say I'm keeping it, he's going to order them in for me so I can collect! (Altho, they are included in the price!) :smashin:

It's big.. bigger than I thought it was going to be.. so I'm looking at stands now for it, so it sits nice on my desk!

23. MagicBoy

MagicBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  24. DeeDee

DeeDee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MagicBoy, yea.. thanks. I downloaded the manuals when I got it home..

The cheapest I've found though is £230.. so I'm thinking £150 is a good deal! (And no one on here's gone "You're crazy! Very Expensive" either so it can't be that bad.. :))

When it's all installed and I have all the cables/speakers on.. I'll have to post my thoughts on the unit.. as I'm sure other people will be interested! I know I would be before I bought this (and still am, infact.. ). There are a couple of reviews I've found though which is good.

25. vinny41

vinny41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312