1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good multiregion NTSC->PAL capable combi?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Channard, Mar 16, 2005.

1. Channard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Until recently I've been using a Samsung 709 to play my DVDs but it's starting to struggle with some DVDs - cleaning hasn't helped - and I think it's on the way out. I'm looking to get a replacement, a VCR/DVD combi that's multi region capable. Which isn't a problem in itself, but what I'm also looking for is one that offers as high quality NTSC->PAL conversion as the Samsung 709 did. You see, I have a telly that can't do NTSC or PAL50 so NTSC->PAL is my only option.

I know the Samsung 709 probably didn't convert NTSC to PAL exactly, but whatever it did, dropping frames or whatever, made for a pretty good picture. The Cyberhome DVD I tried, and also my X-Box, both produced a picture that had some judder when moving, especially with a handycam style film such as Series 7: The Contenders. It's a bit of a niche request, but could anyone advise me which players are as good?

I've tried contacting Samsung but they say none of their current range have Quasi-Pal as it's called.