1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Good* MP3 Head units

Discussion in 'ICE, Sat Navs & Dash Cams Forum' started by shawnmos, Jun 15, 2003.

1. shawnmos

shawnmos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Who makes some of the nicest head units? I've currently been looking into purchacing a Pioneer Premier DEH-750MP but my dad seems to be convinced that Pioneer is crap. My friend on the other hand seems to think Pioneer is the best. So I'm not sure now. What would be a nice head unit w/ mp3 in the $200-300 range? I'm looking for something with good sound quality above all else.

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Sony CDXMP40 or if you want an interal storge device try the MP80
    Kenwood have a good in car reputation.
    Pioneer are pretty good to.

3. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not especially fond of sony myself, they seem to have their fingers in too many pies to be able to give full attention to one product (like HP for example).

I've seen a few of the Kenwood units (the £299 one esp) and am pretty impressed with these, though I would recommend using decent branded CDs as the cheap ones seem to jump a little.

In fact, that's something I'd recommend anyway!

Also, I see that Ministry of Sound have released an MP3 head unit for £130, ailable at Argos (inc free fitting). Don't know much about them. but I was thinking of getting one for my 2nd Mini (3rd car). I'll let you know what it's like if I do.

Collin

4. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    How do I decide what to get? my current radio has broken and I figured I should get an MP3 head unit to replace it. I only use the car to got to work and it is nothing special so I don't want to spend a fortune, I just fancy the convenience.

I have seen a Panasonic unit for about £115 from incardiscount. Why should I spend more? They all seem to have broadly the same features. What should I be looking for that merits the extra money. I don't see how it can be sound quality for me as my car makes a fair amount of noise to mask anything too subtle. The only thing I can thing of is the ease of navigation through multiple albums and tracks. How does that generally work?

Thanks

5. thebap

thebap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blaupunkt Woodstock.

MP3/CD DAB/FM/MW Tuner

7. Gary Parson

Gary Parson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I recently got a Kenwood 6024g
    [​IMG]
    from In-Car Express. The guy I spoke to was very helpful as to which unit and which speakers i needed and didn't try to force me on more expensive stuff. He said that as kenwood had a years more experience they were the units to go for. The first unit I got was faulty though and sent it back and got a new one within two days! Apart from that, which isn't their fault, I can't fault them on anything at all.

The unit I've had in now for a few months and have had no problems playing MP3's at all. Not a single blip whatsoever and I've got bugger all suspension due to 17 inch alloys!

Hope this is of some help.

8. d_devani

d_devani

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Top Makes
    ALPINE
    ROCKFORD FOSGATE
    NAKAMICHI

Good second choice
    Pioneer
    Kenwood

It depends on ur budget

9. ms8qt

ms8qt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought an Alpine 9815RB for £349.99 (very good price) from letsbuycaraudio.com

This is a fantastic CD/MP3 player - it looks great, the interface is really nice to use, and it has a 60W per channel MOSFET amplifier built into it (but, as a result, needs to be DIRECTLY connected to the car battery).

I looked at Pioneer and Sony but the Alpine, in my opinion, was much better all round.

Mark.

10. backtothefuture

backtothefuture

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some ppl say Pioneer is better than Alpine in terms of SQ (sound quality)

11. Stevie G

Stevie G

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    What about VDO Dayton? Are they any good? This one looks nice....

12. Kuni D

Kuni D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got a Pioneer DEH-P8400MP and am very happy with it :) Excellent sound quality, great features, and looks amazing :D

13. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I bought the Kenwood 69.. MP3 player about 2 years ago. It cost me new £140 and have lived with it in a Ford Fiesta with no problems.

Looking back, I should have bought 2. It's been great. The ONLY annoying thing is if you burn 100 MP3 in one folder you will have to press forward 99 times to get to the last track !!!
    The way around this is to create diferent folders and have a manageable amount of MP3s in each. (8 folders being the max). There's also the random feature which will pick the songs at Random, but only within the folder you are in !
    Other than these small gripes, No problems (so far !). I'm always using re-writable CD's - well actually just the one every time - the same one !

I am not sure of the newer MP3 players and how they compare.

14. dnrc

dnrc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a JVC mp3 unit. It's very good, easy to work. ID3 and CDText display.

Sounds Good too, although not as good as the Alpine It replaced. But that's mainly due to the line out voltage. But anyway, I can think of no worse place to listen to music than in a rattly car.

And it looks good.

Personally, the things I looked for were:

Line outs - I needed and got 2
    Rotary Dial - For ease of use
    Bitrate Compatibility - Up to 320kbps
    And looks obviously.

Oh, and I can get an optional remote, useful when you're messing with amps and subs in the boot.