1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good match for Jamo Concert 8's?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dave48, Mar 9, 2002.

1. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm going multi-channel - starting from a pair of Jamo Concert 8's.

Any good ideas on what additional speakers to use with these? The obvious choice is Jamo Concert 11's as front speakers, relegating the Concert 8's to the rear, with a Concert Centre.

The problem with this approach is (a) it costs mega-bucks, (b) I've heard the Concert Centre isn't a great speaker - particularly given its price.

Is there anything else there that would go well with the Concert 8's? [Amplification will be some combination of Primare A30.1 and Denon 3802].

Dave48

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Funny, from what i heard, i thought the concert centre was quite classy.

It would be a lovely idea to have a concert 11, concert 8 and concert centre setup......but you need to spend alot more on amplification! I have celestion A series speakers.....they would be similar to the concerts, but the definitely wouldnt sing as the can if using the likes of the denon.....

ad

3. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    No, it is a fantastic speaker, it just doesn't sound anything like the Concert 8's. I can't actually think of a close match to the 8's, which is a shame as they sound great in their own right. I seem to remember the Castle Inversion centre sounding a lot like the 8's but it won't be a seamless front soundstage.

I agree that the 3802 isn't going to drive the Concert range well. In fact, I don't think my Denon A10SE would either.

Russell

4. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I can assure you the Jamo Concert Centre, is without any doubt a truly excellent/brilliant centre speaker.

It is almost free from the "boxy" and "spitty" sound from normal centre speakers.

I had some trouble with the centre channel of my amp, which made voices start to break up and start sounding spitty. I thought this was my Mission centre speaker. So i set off on a quest to find a replacement etc. The only speaker i found that gave a true "voice" sound was the Jamo. On back to back listening, the Jamo sounded less "bright" than the mission. I soon realised the benefit to this was totally natural sounding dialogue. It can give the "persons in the room" type true sound, making the hair stand up on the back of my head sometimes!.
    It can also handle full range "bass", meaning bullets/thuds etc are locked to the screen. It can also go very-very loud without distortion.
    It was just one of those purchases, i knew instantly wouldn't give me any regrets.
    Paying only £200 helped a lot too!.(Managers special etc, due to customer changing mind!)

So i had no need to change the mission, I just needed a new amp!.

5. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Where did you get the Concert Centre for £200? Out here in Germany practically no-one seems to be selling the thing - or if they are, it's £500+.

Dave48

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    The Concert Centre is a GREAT centre. Anyone who tells you otherwise is talking rubbish. It has for 5ish years been a benchmark. I myself was very close to buying one but went for the more expesive KEF 200c instead. There is nothing wrong with this centre what so ever. I wish I could say the same about sub £300 centres where I have only found a handful that I feel are acceptable.

This centre is quality kit. You will love it with 8s.

7. dave48

dave48
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Now all I need to do is find one - preferably for a sane price ....

Dave48

8. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I bought my Centre from Sevenoaks Manchester. But as i said it was i managers special. I just happened to be in the right place at the right time!:D