1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good luck to the gunners

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SILVERBACK, May 21, 2005.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    good luck in the final boys :smashin: as a neutral i hope its as exciting as the 4-2 defeat just a different outcome :D

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    As a neutral why are you backing the gunners? :)

3. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Because EVERYONE hates (careful now) ManU!

She wore! She wore! She wore a yellow ribbon...

4. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    should be a good game, even though man utd won each time this season, you can never write off arsenal, and they have been in much better form than united lately, but without Henry, and with Ljungberg lacking match practice, i think man utd might be able to neuter arsenal's attack fairly easily. Whether Toure and Senderos can do the same to Rooney and Van Nistelrooy remains to be seen. I think it'll be close, but i'm going to say 2-1 to united

come on you blacks..

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    Well done Arsenal, even though they nowhere near deserved to win.

Man U were robbed...

6. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    police have launched a huge search for 11 men who robbed a valuable silver trophy in the cardiff area :lol: well done arsenal.

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +995
    :rotfl:

8. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    All goes to show how unfair a football game be at times - eh?

Hard Luck Man U and Well Done Arsenal.

Martin.

9. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    A real smash and grab. But if (careful now) ManU can't put them away, they don't deserve to win.

And Rooney Man Of The Match? They're having a laugh! Typical "give it to the England Golden Boy" decision. Lehmann should have got it, no argument. But give a dirty Kraut MOTM? You're having a laugh!

10. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    lehman should have got it and how you justify giving it to a player missed a couple of good attempts i dont know.but lets not forget his is german (bloody germans bombed my chippy lol):mad: :rotfl: lehman is amazingly dodgy and good in the same breath though.i thought the quality of the penaltys was top notch aswell.

11. dubledene

dubledene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if ARSENAL were replaced by england
    and man u were replaced by brazil
    and the same game was for the world cup theyd be saying
    GREAT DEFENSIVE GAME BY ENGLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    man u didnt deserve to win if they had taken some of their chances they might of but arsenal did play a little dodgy but in the end the best team won!!!!!!!!!!

12. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,851
    I agree that Manchester United deserved to win, but just remember the game they had against Bayern Munich !

13. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    united probably played their best game of the season, but unfortunately their consistent inability to score has come back to haunt them yet again. it's the reason they didnt challenge for the title and the reason they went out of europe, and now it's the reason they ended up trophyless. if only the goals were a foot wider we'd be celebrating a double right about now, we've hit the post more than 10 times this season in games where 1 goal would have given us the win..

14. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I disagree. ****** didn't play their best game of the season. Arsenal didn't even turn up yesterday and Wenger's starting tactics were disgraceful, playing a 36 year old up front on his own against "the best striker in Europe", a £30m "genius" and a "magician's hat". Then there's "the best central defender in the world" that he had to contend with as well, plus a referee that could not risk putting a foot wrong where Utd were concerned.

The rest of the team, for the best part, was asleep and it was only when Van Persie came on that Arsenal came to life. But that was too little too late. ******, however, being allowed a free reign, could not capitalise on this and were ultimately punished.

Had Arsenal been in the sort of form they were in for the last third of the season in the Premiership, this would have been a different game.

15. madcyril

madcyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Why do gooners bring in the Bayern game,they scored early on and sat back,Utd won that game by constant attacking and a will to win the match(and a bit of luck that every team sometimes needs).Yesterday Arsenal had no game plan(missing Henry but were not a 1 man team) so just sat back for 120 minutes,albeit with the 'odd' break forward.Arsenal had that luck that every team needs sometimes.

16. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Don't think you can say it was a great defensive game , great goal keeping display ,yes . But not defensive game . Arsenal were ripped open time and time again by Utd .
    David Dein admitted on the radio this morning that Utd were the better side , Fergie has stated that if ever a single match summed up a whole season it was that one .

Still , can't have been fun to watch for an Arsenal fan , No shot on goal for 97 minutes :D .

Well done Chelsea , Well done Arsenal (you were lucky) , good luck Liverpool.
    Onwards to next season

John
    (God that last bit hurt :suicide: )

17. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ha ha ha. One of the Mods is all choked up today. :clap:

18. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Good game to watch as a neutral, thought Man U deserved to win however Lehman was awesome and Arsenal put away superb pens.

Hope its not the same on Weds :eek:

BTW I heard that the Man U Club number has been changed to 0800 10 10 10........ I repeat 0800 won nothing, won nothing, won nothing. :laugh:

19. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Just heard on R5live that the papers tomorrow are suggesting that it was Arsenals game plan to shut up shop and play for penalties :rotfl:
    Who are they trying to kid ? Because they did a really good job of shutting up shop . Sure they let no goals in , but I would sugest that was more by luck than judgement

To paraphrase michaelm

Had United not been in the sort of form they were in for the whole season in the Premiership, this would have been a different game.

Still gutted :(
    John

20. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :D

21. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Arsenal were awful, Man Utd were adequate. If Utd had been more than adequate then they would have won (easily) after being in total control over 70 of those minutes during the 90. They didn't.

Once again penalties reduces the game to a farce, and robs the supporters of both teams of a satisfactory outcome/performance that we could have got after replay. There isn't even an excuse for not having one, as neither teams diary is exactly full until August..........

I have to admit, we were so awful, I was half hoping (and so were some of my mates watching it at the same time) Utd would stick one away and put us out of our misery..............

Shocking performance, shocking way to "win" it. Utterly dissatisfied. :mad:

22. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    that made me laugh. who gives 2 sh*ts how it was won you won the damn thing. sometimes you cant play prettty football !!! every winning team in the history of the F.a cup has rode its luck. at the end of the day people will remember arse's name on the trophey not how it was won. hell remember the yanks in barcelona rob bayern, people will remember they won the treble over what happened in the game but there is no pleasing some so it seems.

23. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    England's very important tour of the US and (careful now) ManU's also very important, in no way financially related, tour of the US.

And a win's a win. Especially over that trash (to use an appropriate Americanism). So when they start whinging, just laugh and enjoy it. You know they would.

24. Bernard Barnett

Bernard Barnett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    A great shame when the outcome of an important match depends on penalties. But maybe there's a way to make the penalty scheme fairer: how about making each member of the team take one - yes 11 penalties, and obviously the team with the highest score wins. This would reduce the awful spotlight on the guy who misses because a few at least would surely be missed. Also the coach/captain wouldn't have to kick himself for having chosen the wrong player. In terms of time it would only be another quarter of an hour or so - worth it, surely, when so much is at stake. What do you think folks?

25. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I do. And that very nicely sums up the difference between us. I love football not just winning. It's that attitude that's led to teams serving up rubbish week in week out, and us just accepting it..................

Who cares if we just wasted £50+ on 90 minutes of dreary crap - we won though! Yeah right. :rolleyes:

There is. Having a replay and giving us a chance to enjoy a REAL match. As 70, 81, 82, 83, (and even 93 was better than the first awful affair) all proved you can get it together 2nd time out. Only 90' was a lesser game. The replay in 81' was the greatest cup final of the last 30 years.

Erm, just have a replay? Much easier..........

Penalties are a joke. If they must have them, do it before the 90 minutes with the shootout result only standing if the match ends in a draw.That way one side has to go for it regardless, while the other has an interesting quandary. It's also mean the opposite of what happens when penalties are at the end the game and both sides shut up shop to avoid collective responsiblity.

26. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    so if you lost every cup final but placed nicely you'd be happy with that yeah right. remember the 2001 cup final bet you wernt happy chappy that day were as i was on cloud 9 and adored my day out. one more goal than the other team will do

27. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Did I say that? I was gutted, as we outplayed Liverpool and lost. Liverpool to their credit took their chances and that was that. It was a good game, no regrets. Conversely, had we played well and lost on penalties, I would have been beyond sick.

However, I remember more about that game, and it will more likely be remembered in years to come, than some of the finals we won, because we played good football.

You can 'yeah right' yourself to death, I hated every minute of that fiasco on Saturday and wouldn't have been too gutted if we got what we deserved - which was nothing. It also irks me that with no replay we had no chance to put that right.

Out of interest I never even watched the 'shoot-out'. It has no place in deciding a football match.

28. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,653
    Wearing a bit thin now ,don't you think ?
    Or is it just that every time someone types Arsenal or Arsene they get to type ARSE :D
    John

29. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    ...would it had made any difference if Fergie had stuck Tim Howard on in the last minute ?

Is he a better stop shotter than Carroll ?

(sorry just re-read that last bit - but left it unchanged as it made me chuckle).

30. michaelm

michaelm
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Ha ha ha. Do you see me complaining about things like:

?

And I'm not likely too either. So all you poor dummy spitters need to lighten up. :D