Good looking and quite floor standing speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chriswt, Apr 26, 2007.

1. chriswt

chriswt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the market for a new set of floorstanding speakers. My to requirements are that they are good looking (not big fat blocks of timber like my Regas) and the they sound good.

However, I'm really after a quality sound at lower volumes because I don't live in a detached house. Am I talking complete rubbish or does sound quality at different volumes vary from speaker to speaker.

I'm looking to spend around £400 to £500.

Cheers

2. Shimmie

Shimmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm only new to this game and would also be interested in the answer to this question.

If the intention is not to play music at any significant volume, does it make more sense to opt for high quality standmounts plus high quality speaker stands, rather than bigger floorstanding speakers?

Could also save quite a bit in the process?

Something like the Wharfedale Evo2 - 8 speakers or something similar?

Or will good floorstanding speakers perform well at lower volumes?

3. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    I don't think the volume really has anything to do with it.
    Floorstanders tend to be better able to produce lower frequencies than equivalent standmount models.
    It's more a case of what is suitable for your room than what volume you want to listen at.
    The financial savings aren't always that great either - decent stands aren't cheap!

4. Shimmie

Shimmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fair enough. Are there any rules-of-thumb in relation to judging whether your room would be suitable for floorstanding speakers, rather than being better going with smaller standmounts?

Is there a recommended "minimum" room size or something along those lines?

In a room approx 3.5m x 7m, used for home cinema and stereo music (through same speakers), but where music is unlikely to be played very loud very often, would floorstanders be too much? Would you be better off going with standmounts for the fronts rather than floorstanding cabinets?

5. chriswt

chriswt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My parents bought a pair of Castle floor standing speakers when they purchased their Cyrus system some years ago. The sound quality was outstanding compared to anything I'd ever heard before but they are very large speakers.

My Regas are alot smaller and cost £300 in 1999. I've always been impressed with them but they are big black blocks and not very pleasing to the eye.

Is it best to hunt down some second hand speakers, and if so, what make?

6. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    There's no 'minimum' size.
    I would say your room is more than big enough to accomodate floor standers but it's very much dependant on the particular speakers and where you're going to place them.
    I've had some Quad11 standmounts and now have Quad 21L2 floorstanders in my room that's only 5m x 4m. The 21L2s sound loads better to me. There's no overblown bass and they sound fine at low volumes.
    Take a look at the manufacturers websites for the speakers you're considering and see if you can download the manuals. They'll usually tell you the recommended positioning such as the distance away from the wall etc.
    At the end of the day, the only real way to tell is to listen to them in your room.

7. Shimmie

Shimmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, now I'm in a quandry. Had hoped to get floorstanding fronts and standmount rears in my new set-up, but then thought floorstanders would be overkill for the room. Its a living room in a rented apartment, laminate floors. I've attached a scale diagram, with potential speaker positions marked.

Q Acoustics 1030's were what I originally had in mind, switched to Tannoy Fusion 2's instead for the fronts, based on feedback elsewhere suggesting I might be better going with standmounts. Going with Tannoy Mercury F1 Customs for the rears.

Do you think the 1030's would work in the room? As well as better sounding music, had also been thinking the bass capabilities of floorstanders would save me having to buy a sub for a while. Key question will be the ability to listen to music at reasonable, but not loud, volumes....

Truer words - unfortunately living in Dublin the market is not well served by providers of AV separates. If ever there was a market screaming out for a new retailer..... In the meantime, I'll have to trust the reviews I read and advice I get on this forum, go with my gut, and order online from the UK.

Attached Files:

8. Cynar

Cynar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +248
    There's a huge difference in the sound between different speakers. The difference between different makes of speaker can be far far greater than the difference between a stand mount and a floorstander.
    I really can't stress enough the importance of listening to them before you buy.
    If there are no HiFi shops in Dublin then arrange a trip to somewhere where there is. Narrow down your choice based on reviews etc before you travel and book a demo.

9. nuttyboyz

nuttyboyz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    One of the niciest designs I have seen for slim,elegent,good sounding speakers are the Revolver AVF,i'm sure 99% of guys would get these easily past the WAF.