Good Lens Filter For Sanyo Z2000 ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gargoyle67, Feb 2, 2009.

1. gargoyle67

gargoyle67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I've noticed that the screen seems a bit bright even on my 106" fixed screen as a result the blacks look a bit greyish some times, So I've heard that a lens filter might help reduce this, Anyone know of a good online shop and can recommend a lens type as there are quite a few different polarization types:confused: Thanks.

2. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    I don't know about size, but I'd recommend an ND2 (neutral density) filter which will half the brightness. I used one with my AE1000/2000/3000 when the lamps were new until I found that it was OK without. Don't buy a cheap resin one though as they cause reflections back into the PJ and ruin the ANSI contrast making the image look 'milky'. A Hoya HMC is coated to stop reflections and I recommend them. Unfortunately the shop I bought mine from has gone, but I recently bought an 81C filter ( a failed experiment) from Somerset cameras:

Hoya Neutral Density (ND) X2 HMC Filter from SomersetCameras.co.uk

I stick mine in place using small pieces of BluTac so I just chose one that fits snugly inside the lens surround without touching the lens itself. See my setup thread in my signature for some pictures, to see what I mean.

3. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Quite possibly a stupid questions (apologies if so), but have you tried reducing the lamp brightness on the Z2000?

Sheks

4. gargoyle67

gargoyle67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    @Sheks, Yep, You didn't seriously think I was going to spend money if I hadn't tried that:rolleyes: You start to loose black detail if you lower brightness\contrast levers lower than I have now, So I thought I'd give a lens filter a go, Thanks KelvinS1965 I'll look into it although I would want one that fits rather than use blutac.

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    Unless your Sanjo has a threaded lens surround, you'll have no choice but to fit the filter in place with BluTak or similar. It's not as bad as it sounds as my filter almost stays in place on it's own, so only a tiny amount is needed to stop it falling out.

6. gargoyle67

gargoyle67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    @Kev, Yeah just been looking at some and came to the same conclusion, when you look at the filter lens sizes, how do they measures them ? .Is it measured by the glass size or the actual filter lens frame (which would make more sense)

Nice setup you get there too m8:thumbsup:

7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,025
    Sorry, been busy doing a calibration on my PJ....

The filter size seems to be the outer measurement, or at least the very slightly smaller part which is threaded.