1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good in ear phones for ipod?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Proto Omega, Aug 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Proto Omega

Proto Omega
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I plan on getting an ipod soon but i heard the phones you get with it arent that great? I want a decent pair of in ear ones that produce rich sound and deep bass. Anyone can give recommendations? I dont want to spend more than £50-60 on them. Uk only please. Thanks.

2. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before you consider changing the earphones why don't you think about getting another player instead of an iPod? With all the choice out there today it's not necessary to dive off to the nearest Apple store anymore :)

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Have a look here - my views on a relative unknown brand, but aesthetics aside, you can't go far wrong price wise. It was a close call between these and the more expensive E3cs from Shure.

4. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Proto, I have an ipod photo, and have tried a number of different types of earphones from the stock ones supplied, Shure E2c, and sony ex71's. I can definitely say the sony ex71's provide the most bass out of the three and you can pick them up for £25 on the net or £34 in any dixons, or sony store.

The ipod is difficult to get a true and full bass so be prepared to tweak the eq settings to get the most out of it.

5. lukey

lukey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey pjskel,, I didnt realise you were the author of that piece, Iwas looking at that with a great deal of interest the other day as was thinking about upgrading my sony ex71's for a pair, are they really that good??? especially with the Ipod

6. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    For the money, yes, they are a very good set of inner-earphones. As a generic version for the cost conscious amateur singer, they were well conceived. As a result, many used them with their iPods, and the rest is history.
    So although the colour was designed to blend with natural skin tones or made-up faces for live or TV aplications, if you're not put off by that, then you will find they work very well.
    As mentioned in the review, if you visit your local boots (check first) store, there should be an audiologist as part of the opticians set-up. For around £20 you can get moulds made of your ears - make sure to ask for full depth impressions, to the second bend and open mouthed. Make sure your ears are well cleaned before attending. You can then send these off to FS in the US and for a bit more money $100 or thereabouts, you can have moulds made which the Ear Monitors fit onto. Next best thing to a full custom earphone, which I'm talking to them about at the moment.

If you hang off 'til around November time, you'll see the result of the deal ExtremeMac made with Future Sonic, so an aesthetically more pleasing version will surface. Don't kno what price nor who'll distribute in the UK. May take a look at those too, but there shouldn't be any difference in sound, just cosmetics.

As per the review, bass is fine when the volume is increased, which naturally it is when used outdoors, but in a quite bedroom, the volume generally gets turned down, if only to hear the phone ring or somone call your name, etc, then the bass will lack it's fullness heard previously. I didn't like using it with anything other than treble boost on low volume - bass boost distorts bass sounds easily, making it sound unpleasant. That's more to do with the total excursion the diaphragm has. Try it for yourself, and see what your ears tell you, but don't be surprised if you find yourself in agreement with me.

As I said above, they gave the E3cs a run for their money, so I'd expect them to show the E2cs a clean pair of heels, and the EX71/81s as non-starters.

Remember, don't listen to high volumes for prolonged periods - your ears have to last you a lifetime, and age plays its part as time marches on, but enjoy the sounds while you can.

7. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I have both the Sony and also the Sennheiser mx500. The senny's have far superior treble and bass and are cheaper.

8. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
  9. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'm considering the MX 500 White... is the volume control SQ degrading?

10. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Nope , I find it useful especially when someone wants to talk to me when I am listening to my i-pod.

11. johann1979

johann1979
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't you just hate it when that happens though?! People wanting to talk to you when you have your player on?? ;)

12. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    And comparing to the iPOD stocks ones? SQ? Volume?

13. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94

Yes I am tempted to use a couple of anglo saxon words which of course in my glaswegian accent and volume levels (due to listening to my i-pod) it may sound a tad aggressive. :D

14. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Far superior FALP , more comfortable, more bass, better treble etc. etc.

For the cost they are excellent. However that evil Sony Lover Johann :D
    has put temptation in front of me with his new earphones. However they wont be much good under your helmet on your bike.

15. Falp

Falp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Nice... I may buy some MX500 today at FNAC... I've been tempted...