Quantcast

Good in ceiling speakers to match my M&K setup

dinoprada2003

Distinguished Member
To the OP

If I was looking at new receivers (I am) I'd be sure to demo the arcam for Dirac

william149

To the OP

If I was looking at new receivers (I am) I'd be sure to demo the arcam for Dirac
All i need, more doubt in my mind :)

Let me know how you get on as i don't think there are any local dealers with both the Anthem & Arcam to have a side by side demo.
Apart from that, having a demo in a purpose built & sound proofed room at a dealers isn't a representative of how it would sound in my room, with my speaker set up & hence asking as many q's as i can think if.
The way i'm looking at it at the moment is there seems a fair few people with the Arcam with issues one way or another with DIRAC, i'm not saying no one has issues with ARC, but it does seem fewer..

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor

Zakblue

+1 for the Anthem. I have an MRX720 in my setup and it's fantastic with the MKs.

Zakblue

Did you compare with anything else?
No. Living where I do in Australia, I didn't have the opportunity to compare with other models. I'd just sold all my KEF stuff and a Marantz 8801 to go with a new atmos setup with MK gear.
I was looking at the Arcam receivers with DIRAC but they are way too expensive here. Also I tried to get some quotes or a decent price and all the resellers just quoted me the damn retail price as the best they could do.
I can say the mx720 is a step up from the 8801 in calibration as ARC beats the pants off the Audyssey. I'm also very happy with it's stereo performance, even without external power amps.

Member 769353

Previously davidf
Apart from that, having a demo in a purpose built & sound proofed room at a dealers isn't a representative of how it would sound in my room, with my speaker set up & hence asking as many q's as i can think if.
You're right, having a demo in a purpose built room isn't going to be in any way representative of your own room (although if the EQ system is all it is claimed to be, it sort of makes that argument null and void, to some extent). What it will do though is allow you to hear the difference between anything you do audition in that same space. Although, non treated rooms will also just as easily show differences between equipment, even more so in some ways, showing how some equipment is better at dealing with awkward rooms and some of the likely issues you'll come up against.

The way i'm looking at it at the moment is there seems a fair few people with the Arcam with issues one way or another with DIRAC, i'm not saying no one has issues with ARC, but it does seem fewer..
The Arcam issue were with older models - the last couple of ranges have really improved things, and there doesn't seem to be any bugs with the current stuff (I know someone using one of the products, and has done for the last year or so). ARC works more to a target curve, whereas with DIRAC, you get to set the target curve, which means you can sort out the real issues but retain the speaker's characteristics, rather than ironing out the very reasons you bought the speakers in the first place. This approach does need more understanding of the EQ system than ARC, and this is why any DIRAC equipped Arcam product is required to be installed by the (trained) dealer. And this is more than likely why you might see less people with ARC issues. If you call up Andy at Arcam, he can tell you much more about it as he knows it inside out.

The last couple of Arcam setups I've heard (both Bristol Shows, and both using KEF) have been excellent, in particular this year's system, using the larger centre compared to last year, and subs that filled the (huge) room properly. No brightness, no harshness, no fatigue, no nasties whatsoever - just clean, smooth power producing a totally seamless soundfield, as proven by the beginning of Mad Max during the demo.

Seriously Ltd

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
ARC is very configurable. You can adjust the frequency parameters you want it to EQ, set the bass response orders, it calculates room gain which is also user adjustable so all in all very flexible.

Top Bottom