1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good htpc??

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Rickyj @ Kalibrate, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    I am considering investing in a PC primarily to use the internet on, but also try as a htpc, inc hd movies.

I can get very good deals on dell comps via work, so was thinking about investing in one, and the transferringto a specific htpc case/updating the components at a later date.

I am thinking about this pc. Any upgrades neccessary, or any considerations I should think of.

Note; I was thinking at about upgrading the graphics card to the geforce 6800. Is this neccessary?

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...03506&rbc=D03506&s=dhs&sbc=ukdhsftdppdesktop2

Thanks for any help given

Ricky

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Well if you get a good deal on them then that seems to be basically okay, certainly a 3Ghz P4 is fine and 512Mb memory perfectly adequate.

Not sure about the sound, you don't say whether you've got an external amp. capable of decoding DD and DTS, if not you'll see a soundcard to do that, I'm not sure of the spec of that SB add-on one.

I'm not sure about going for the 6800, the XT 300 is fitted to several dedicated HTPCs including the Elonex Artisan which is very popular it seems. The 6800 will give you an improved PQ over the ATI but it'd depend on what display you're using as to whether the difference would be worth the extra £105 I think.

3. dekoded

dekoded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    You might find that the DELL components won't fit into another case, the motherboards and PSU's are sometimes non-standard sizes :thumbsdow

4. Rickyj @ Kalibrate

Rickyj @ Kalibrate
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,692
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Firstly, KraGorn, I will be using the Yamaha RX-V1400, and HS10 in my sig for my amp and display. The HS10 will eventually be changed, but probably not unit the next generation of LCD projs come out. That is reassuring that the XT300 is good enough. Thanks for the advice.

Johnnie, that is concerning. But if it is only the psu and motherboard. These are not that dear to replace if I want to at a later date, are they?? Any ideas where I could find out about the motherbord size.

They good deal that I get is that I only pay roughly 57% of the price (inc delivery and VAT).

Any other suggestions.

Ricky

5. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a couple of DELLs that I've used/am using for HTPC duty. The newest is an 8400 ( the old one a 8300 ) and I'd recommend plumping for an 8xxx series DELL as the cases keep the machine pretty quiet. My 8400 has a 3.4 P4 in it so I've replaced the stock fan with a Silenx one to quieten it, but the 8300 has always been near silent. I feed a BenQ PE8700 from 8400 containing a XT300 and the picture quality is fine @1280x720. You may get an improvement with a 6800 but you'll also get another fan.

The DELL parts aren't always interchangable with standard components so you should assume that you'll have to stick with their case, however if you don't want or can't be bothered to build a machine from scratch they're a great and cheap starting point - the machines I've bought from the Outlet couldn't have been built for the prices I paid.

Cheers

Simon