Good Hi-Fi, Bad Ears! Ideas on System Value Please?

Alfa Male

Novice Member
Hello y'all,

I've been listening to music through reasonable systems for years but the time has arrived to sell my gear and I'm hoping for a little advice please. The reason to sell is that the combination of racing motorbikes, playing guitar in a band and partying has taken its toll on my ears. I'm not deaf (pardon?) but all the lovely definition has gone from my music and listening to an iPod sounds no worse than the system. I hardly use the system now and it's been a while since I was a hi-fi nerd so I'm not current on values so I'm hoping one of you may be able to suggest some likely figures please.... The system comprises:
  • Arcam Alpha 9 amp
  • Arcam Alpha 8 power amp
  • Arcam Alpha 9 CD player
  • Arcam Alpha 7 tuner
  • Acoustic Energy AE120 speakers
  • Audioquest interconnects and cables
Everything works as it should with no faults, no boxes anymore but is all in great condition and I've owned it from new (bought from Overture in Banbury). It's probably worth more if I split but would rather it went in one go. I'm not trying to flog it on here, but just would like some ideas as to what it should be worth.

Appreciate any input.

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
If you search on eBay and choose the sold items option it will tell you what the individual bits are currently going for, similar option on Hifishark. You can then take a view as to what a full system might be priced at.

Ascotbilly

I'd seriously consider selling on here, having bought and sold kit thro AVF - decent peeps and no chance of a scam ! PS 0 Might be interested in the Amp,,

gibbsy

Keep the CDP and get a good headphone amp and a comfortable quality pair of headphones.

password1

£600-700 the lot

£800-£1000 minimum if you sell everything separately depending on condition.

the tuner isn't worth much relatively.

the cd player is worth the most and working ones in good condition are sought after

the amps still fetch decent money. anyone who buys the 8 for £150 will at least get all or most their money back in a few years time. The 9 is £100-£150 if it has no remote, faulty input selector but worth at least £180-£250 if mint with remote and original packaging, no faults.

Cable depend on length and what they are.

password1

My estimates above assume you have 3 interconnects and 4 lengths of speaker cable of similar age.

It really depends what the cables are. Cheap basic but perfectly adequate 2.5mm unbranded copper cable isn't worth much. If its something like QED silver anniversary then you can get most or more than your money back.

I paid £4.50 a metre, it's gone up to about £6.50 a metre. The QED copper based cable has doubled in price since 2005.

Winner2014

Novice Member
Hello y'all,

I've been listening to music through reasonable systems for years but the time has arrived to sell my gear and I'm hoping for a little advice please. The reason to sell is that the combination of racing motorbikes, playing guitar in a band and partying has taken its toll on my ears. I'm not deaf (pardon?) but all the lovely definition has gone from my music and listening to an iPod sounds no worse than the system. I hardly use the system now and it's been a while since I was a hi-fi nerd so I'm not current on values so I'm hoping one of you may be able to suggest some likely figures please.... The system comprises:
  • Arcam Alpha 9 amp
  • Arcam Alpha 8 power amp
  • Arcam Alpha 9 CD player
  • Arcam Alpha 7 tuner
  • Acoustic Energy AE120 speakers
  • Audioquest interconnects and cables
Everything works as it should with no faults, no boxes anymore but is all in great condition and I've owned it from new (bought from Overture in Banbury). It's probably worth more if I split but would rather it went in one go. I'm not trying to flog it on here, but just would like some ideas as to what it should be worth.

Appreciate any input.
I am contemplating the same thing. But lets start by saying I am running Logan electrostratics with DNM solid cabling and with Arcam 860 and P49 and P349 amps. The only consideration is, from my point of view whether having changed from a McLaren F1 speaker setup in favour of electrostatics ESL15a and 13a is going to benefit from changing to Bryston SP3 or 4 together with 9b3 five channel. Read the bumph. The main consideration is what I call instrument separation. Perhaps others have a view on that, the other is long term reliability. The only issue I have had is that the preamp and P49 ran hotter and the P49 kept switching off. I discovered that putting equipment directly resting on the processor (which doesn't have vents) made both the processor and 49 run hotter but why I have no idea. Dennis Morecroft at DNM told me that the loading is very high at low ohms so cooling was the issue! So back to the basic question iswhether the Byston AB choice going to improve on what you have, i.e. baseline choice.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom