1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good HDTV game for XBox?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Richard Harnwell, Jun 27, 2003.

1. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I've just sent my Xbox off for chipping.

I'm eager to see what the 720P or 1080i looks like (on my Sony 10HT projector), so I thought I'd get a suitable game ordered.

I don't much like the sound of the Matrix, Dragons Lair or baseball games. I'd love to have Soul Calibur II, but I'd prefer an English Language version & it doesn't seem to be out in the US yet.

Are there any other games that support these modes?

Cheers,

Richard

2. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    not really any major games that support anything other than 480p.
    Soul Calibur II does look jaw-dropping in 720p.;) and while the game is Japanese the main game is all English, being an arcade conversion I guess. The quest mode is Japanese however.

Enter the Matrix is actually 1080i (confirmed) but I must say I didnt bother with it personally.

Street Hoops is 720p and I think a couple of the sports titles..but that's it for now as far as I know..:)

3. CarlB

CarlB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    I would recommend Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4 for a demonstration of 720p, it looks absolutely great and the game is the best in the series as well.

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +613
    720p on soul calibur runs in a 4:3 window within the 16:9 screen anyway, so probably not the one to get.

tony hawk looks ok.

I left all mine at 480p as there wasnt alot in it tbh.

this is on a nec crt, using 82" diag 16:9 screen btw.

5. zcaps57

zcaps57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Soul Caliber II in 720p is not jaw-dropping at all. Far from it actually.
    Low polygon-counts, lack bump-mapping etc.. clearly becomes obvious/revealing in 720p. You do realise that SCII is based on PlayStation2 right ? Namco just bumped up the resolution from 480p to 720p, that's it.

Of course in 720p resolution, it look very clean. (less jaggies). But still the textures used through out the entire scenes are poor quality.

Also, as gizlaroc said, it runs in 4x3 window aspect ratio in 720p. This is because the developers could not let XBOX render extra bits of information contained in 16x9. Probably lack of optimisation plus XBOX's horsepower limit.

Actually, Namco shouldn't advertise Soul Caliber II as 720p (D4)supporting title at all. Because ATSC standard of 720p only exists as 16x9 widescreen aspect ratio. Well... since FMV is in 16x9, 720p, they could get away with it, but still in-game footage is in 4x3 window, and this is not true 720p.

The problem with 720p, and 1080i HD resolutions on XBOX is that.... XBOX's total 64MB of memory, and ~6.4GB/s of theoretical peak bandwidth are not simply enough to show impressive visuals in high resolutions such as 720p, and 1080i.

To higher up resolutions, developers have to sacrifies lots of areas because of its small memory, and bandwidth. Resolution is bandwidth eater, and it taxes XBOX's horsepower quite significantly.

Currently there are not any visually-impressive games on XBOX in HD resolution. 480p is your best bet. :)

If you would like to see some nice graphics in HD resolutions, you have to wait until next generation consoles or the one after.

Currently PCs with the latest graphics cards such as Radeon9800 (memory bandwidth of ~22.5GB/s. compare this to XBOX's tiny ~6.4 GB/s) is the way to go

6. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,007
    lol...calm down mate.:D (sound slike I hit a raw nerve)..

Soul Calibur II on Xbox in 720p is stunning compared to the GC and PS2 version..simple fact. So what if it's based around PS2. Have you seen PS2 and arcade versions side by side..they are far from identical so isn't really an issue, Xbox visually looks much better than arcade version..

The game is far from perfect but as far as games go on Xbox right now, you said it yourself, there are not any visually impressive games above 480p, so out of the games available Soul Calibur II is the best to LOOK at and I believe that's what the thread starter was asking.

Yes the 4:3 is a pain, but on a projector isn't an issue if the 4:3 is 70" + and as Richard stated he was to use a 10HT I assume he was talking big screen.:)

EDIT - wanted to make it know that this isn't meant to be argumentative, just opinions and discussion.:)

7. Acdbulls

Acdbulls

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Man, Xbox is a lot better than any other console, i mean, ps2 cant handle HIdef, Gamecube has good graphics but Xbox does very well

8. EffTee

EffTee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Home Theatre forum keeps a list of console games that support the various HD formats, widescreen and the like. It's here if you fancy a look.

EffTee

9. Richard Harnwell

Richard Harnwell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for all the resonses guys.

Yep, as MuseumSteve said, I'm watching a 7' image from my 10HT, so I can live with the reduction caused by switching to 4x3 :).
    I loved the original SC (it is one of the reasons I still have my Dreamcast), so even if the improvements over the other versions are slight, I think I'll still get it....

Thanks for that web link. It's more up-to date than the link I'd been using, so there's a couple of extra 720p games that I didn't know about. One of those is the Tony Hawk's game, so I may well give it a go.

Taking collection of my new improved machine on Monday - can't wait!

Thanks again chaps!