good graphics card and processor for creating animation

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Yeyeo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Yeyeo

Yeyeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I'm making up a specification for a windows PC spec for an animator (my husband)
    and We need advice on the GRAPHICS CARD and the PROCESSOR.

It is for mainly 2d animation, video editing and some 3d animation , sound editing, image preparation etc.
    using adobe CS6 tools
    After effects
    Flash
    Premier
    illustrator
    Photoshop
    Audition
    and
    3d Max

We are told that what is good for games is usually good for creating animation.
    How much should we expect to pay for a good graphics card?

We have someone to build it when we provide the spec. We want a PC for £400-500 if possible.

Here is the specification we have so far:-
    Windows 7 (would win server 2008 be better??)
    128GB solid state drive for the OS and most programs to make it faster.
    16gb memory (do you think 16gb is over the top?)
    2terrabytes hard disk
    Good graphics card???? ( can you suggest a good one? This is important)
    Processor (Can you suggest a suitable one?)
    Would these be ok...
    Quad core games processor/??
    Or
    AMD BULLDOZER??

OR
    I saw these games machines on eBay which might be OK as is.
    Any opinions on these?

Vibox 4.0GHz ? 16GB 4.0GHz Quad core gaming PC ? 1TB Super Fast computer

http://*******/X6EuXV

QUAD CORE COMPUTER 16GB DDR3 MEMORY 1TB HARDDRIVE DVDRW AMD BULLDOZER PC AN12A

http://*******/SN6i03

we'll be grateful for any advice / opinions /pointers

May the force be with you

Yeyeo

2. razer1

razer1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Hi and welcome to the forums!

First of - for your requirements its a case of balancing CPU clock speed - cores - GPU Ram size - GPU cores - budget.

I do similar work with design and web development so not quite as visually demanding but do run CS6 suite though and run on amd x6 1055t 2.8 for multitasking and running multiple packages.

You would need win 7 not server edition! I would go win 7 as 8 atm is far too unstable and software compatibilities are troublesome. Make sure its a 64bit version though otherwise 16gb ram is wasted !! 32 will only use upto 3 or 4gb!

I would go I5 3570k as even though this is only quad it is a decent cpu and can be overclocked to get more out of it with the right cooler on it but is quick enough at stock.

GPU wise, I would go Nvidia with intel I5 3570k cpu as make use of CUDA on Photoshop and other CS6 programs. GPU wise I have no really recommendations as I dont game or know whats best on Nvidia but get as larger one as poss with as big cores as possible. ( Will render quicker as AFAIK, the rendering in after effects or 3d max for example runs from GPU not CPU. )

I would also get a bigger SSD and use to run working files from as read/write speeds are better on SSD and a bigger drive gives more options for the file size you can run from it )

16gb ram is not overkill.. More is better espec to stop PS and Illustrator from running at snails pace ( Illustrator especially with now 64bit running ( makes use of more than 4gb ram for rendering of vector files, 3D options etc.) )

Hope this helps slightly!

Someone else might pipe up soon and give a little more help

Ryan

3. dacads

dacads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I would recommend the i5 3770k as it has hyperthreading abilities which will be great for the intended tasks

SSD wise I would recommend a Crucial M4 / Samsung 840

I would avoid using eBay as the PCs on there tend to use cheap components such as the PSU which could mean your whole system might go kaput at any time.

You could use the system configurator at OCUK to build a PC to the required spec

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/syscon_int.php?prodid=FS-291-OK

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013