1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

good games?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by swervin, Aug 2, 2004.

1. swervin

swervin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can anyone recommend some?

2. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    What games do you like?

For recommendations:-

First Person Shooters

Medal of Honour
    Call of Duty
    Far Cry
    Aliens vs Predator 1 + 2
    No one Lives Forever 1 + 2

Turn Based Strategy

Heroes of Might + Magic 2-4
    Warlords (not the battlecry games)
    Civilization III or above.

Real Time Strategy

Warcraft III
    C+C Generals
    Homeworld II
    Ground Control II
    Perimeter
    Medieval Total War

RPG

Morrowind
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Diablo II
    Neverwinter Nights

CounterStrike
    UT 2004
    City of Heroes
    Many of the above games :)

There are loads more genres and titles, it is also worth looking in the back of PCGamer and PCzone they have a top 5 or so of each genre and a brief description.

3. John C

John C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In turn based strategy, I'd recommend the first two Combat Mission games as well - Beyond Overlord, and Barbarossa to Berlin.

Not easy, by any stretch, but incredibly well done, and quite faithful historically.

I think Max Payne & Max Payne 2 are quality games as well (story driven 3rd Person Shooters).

I loved Mafia, great atmosphere, although a lot of people hated it because the cars are pretty underpowered (which is, at least, faithful to the vehicles of the era).

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    Three from Sinzer’s list I would second sort of . Civilisation will steal your life away it I use to find myself playing it till 2 in the morning just having one more civ advancement. But I have only played Civilization II.

Diablo II is one I always come back to there are so many characters and ways to play them and free online gamming, and in the 3 for £20 range along with the expansion pack unbelievable value, I'm playing it again and I got it over 3 years back when it first came out.

I also played Heroes of Might & Magic 3-4 can get a bit like Civ I have a mate who played 3 till 7 in the morning.

Obviously I will recommend the Thief series the last one being the most accessible and visually stunning. Although I think the original is still the best in the series but in my case I needed to reinstall some old drivers to play it but is probably the most atmospheric game ever.

An other No One Lives Forever is very enjoyable and although some of the levels can be short there is a vast number of them and a lot a bit unusual like exiting a plane with no parachute.

5. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll add to that:

TBS
    Alpha Centauri - Civ II with a sci-fi theme and even better user interface

RTS
    Rise of Nations - As a TBS fan, this is the only RTS that has kept my attention

Speaking of Heroes of Might and Magic, has anyone played the expansion packs for HOMM IV? Worth picking up?

6. swervin

swervin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i like action adventure games, some platform games, GTA III and VC
    i like games where you have to think/puzzle games, but not think to hard, its supposed to be fun
    i just started thief DS a couple days ago, i was just thinking its possibly the most immersive game i've played, the shadows are good, but i think the graphics are generally poor, very low res and the animation is bad
    seems like a decent game so far, i like the non-linear approach

i liked prince of persia a lot, i'd like another story driven game

i don't like standard pc games (FPS, RPG, RTS)
    i'm curious to see doom3 running with all its graphical abilities, but i'd probably play it for 10-20 minutes

are there any decent flight combat games around?
    one with a not so complex flight model but with some good shooting, specifically not a game where your enemy insists on coming to attack you from behind so you have to do all this funky flying

7. John C

John C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RE: Flight combat games, I'd suggest "European Air War" (microprose) if you can still get hold of a copy - it should be just what you're after, and you can always increase the difficulty if you get more into it.

Otherwise, you might try IL2: The Forgotten Battles, although you'll have to dial down the flight model a bit to get what you want out of it.

Novalogic have a good reputation for producing "lite" sims.

If you don't mind flying helicopters, Enemy Engaged: Commanche vs Hokum might be a good choice too.

Incidentally, if you like the stealth elements of thief, you might enjoy the Splinter Cell series too - I got the first for a tenner from HMV.

8. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Commanche 4 is pretty good, I enjoyed that. Very lite on the sim but you could blow up plenty :)

9. swervin

swervin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    about european air war, judging by what you said, it must be pretty old, i know graphics aren't everything, but having recently upgraded my card, i'd like some eye candy :)
    generally stuff from 2002 onward looks good by my standard

i'm about to read a review on IL2, its scored a pretty high %

i like the atmosphere of thief, its got that medieval feel, splinter cell doesn't have that
    SC is ok, but it just didn't make me want to keep playing (i played 3 levels i think)

ah commanche 4, the benchmark game
    i have that game (hopefully not a demo) so i'll give it a go
    actually it probably is a demo, i got a bundle disc with 5 or so games, i doubt they could fit 5 full games on there *feels cheated*

i'd quite like a helicopter/bomber game where you destroy things on the ground, not particularly challenging but plenty of destructive fun

have there been any good action adventure games this year?
    i haven't noticed any good games this year, still surviving on last years bunch

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    After playing an hour of Doom3 I would say that is more like an action adventure game than FPS, reminds me of System Shock 2.

11. John C

John C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, that's an *excellent* story driven game (System Shock 2).

The graphics might look a little dated now (although the rebirth project was tarting the game textures up http://perso.wanadoo.fr/etienne.aubert/sshock/sshock_rebirth.htm ) but the atmosphere and story telling will still grip you.

Swerver, you're right about EAW being quite old - it's a superb example of a combat sim though. Another game that 3rd party developers have put a bit more shine on too;

http://www.xmission.com/~mmagleby/eaw/downloads.htm

It has a really nice difficulty curve too.

Be aware that IL-2 is quite a bit more hardcore (at least on it's default settings) but the flight model and gunnery system is very configurable - just mess with it 'til you have the balance you want.

12. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,365
    B-17 Flying Fortress (out at around a tenner) is a couple of years old, but great to play too. Great tension on those bombing runs.

13. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    IL-2 I couldn't hack at all, I couldn't even fly the plane when it started it me off flying already, I would eventually stall and then crash and burn :(

My hat goes off to all those old war pilots :)

14. John C

John C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe :)

IL-2 is very much about energy fighting, I think - about gaining an advantage over your opponent (in terms of speed/altitude) and not losing that in the course of the fight. It's chess, as opposed to snap :)

Of course, that's only the default settings, you can change the flight model, and make the gunnery easier (it's damned hard unless you're right behind the target otherwise[1]).

The other thing I like about IL-2 is how different the aircraft are - I might hand you your ass in a P-39, but I couldn't jump "fresh" into an Me-109 and hope to do the same - you have to "know" the aircraft to fly well.

It's all pretty authentic; if you read contemporary accounts by the aces of the day, combat was largely about getting as close to your opponent as you could, and the element of surprise was a huge advantage.

[1] Which again, matches accounts of real fliers - many aces would not open fire until the target filled their gunsight - no 1km deflection shots a la EAW :)

15. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Yeah I really didn't have the patience or finesses for it :)

If you are a sim junky it is the ultimate sim.

I could also recommend the Mechwarrior series, these are good arcade type sims with lots and lots to blow up, I really enjoy them.

16. swervin

swervin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i really prefer 3rd person action/adventure, don't really like first person, though i am giving thief a go

17. John C

John C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Max Payne/Max Payne 2 might be a good bet then.

More shooter (3rd person) than adventure really, but with a decent story, and a nice noirsh feel.

18. Swifttech

Swifttech

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    America's Army is an excellent game if your into that type of game, and best of all it's free :thumbsup:

19. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,346
    I just finished 2 last night and it was as good as 1. The difference was the graphics were better, and you could after accumulating some points select which skills to progress in.
    I though the levels were a lot bigger than the first but there did not seem as many or variation. Both are humorous especially the last line on the first one.

Both are on budget. :smashin: