Good FTA Receiver Recommendations

PFMC84

I am looking to buy a more up to date STB to replace my Humax HD2000 STB and was looking for recommendations from people out there on what boxes they have.

Some things I would like the box to have/be able to do:

· Channel name on front of unit, instead of nothing or 4 numbers
· High resolution/HD on screen display/menu
· Receive satellite AND terrestrial HD
· Clean, easy to use interface (thinking of the non-technical people who will be using it)
· Possible customisation of the OSD, like colours/fonts etc.
· PVR functionality, either built in or able to be added on with external HDD
· Abaility to re-order and re-name channels

Any pictures of the box/display etc. would be appreciated too.

Cheers.

Last edited:

logiciel

PFMC84

I have a Freesat receiver on the main TV but this is for my own room and want to get something that was a bit more customisable. May possibly be tuning in channels from 19.2E as well and would prefer them all in one channel order than having to switch modes and faffing about, again as other non-techie people would be using it, especially if I decide to use it instead of the Freesat receiver in the future.

logiciel

PFMC84

My dish is already set up for 28.2E and 19.2E I just need the receiver that suits my needs now. I had an old Technomate before I got the Humax and wasn't that enamoured with it, but will check that link out.

logiciel

PFMC84

Even the Diseqc switch is there and ready, all I need is the receiver.

Are there any that will let me have HD satellite and HD terrestrial in one receiver on one EPG? I have never had a way of recording any Freeview channels and as some channels are not FTA on satellite (and I'm going to be getting a new box), I might as well get one that can do it.

Fred Smith

Even the Diseqc switch is there and ready, all I need is the receiver.

Are there any that will let me have HD satellite and HD terrestrial in one receiver on one EPG? I have never had a way of recording any Freeview channels and as some channels are not FTA on satellite (and I'm going to be getting a new box), I might as well get one that can do it.
There are a few hybrids around but not Freeview and Freesat. Just DTT and satellite, but the DTT tuners are only SD.

Examples, Ferguson Ariva 250 and Gigablue Quad with optional DTT tuner(s)
There are a few others as well.

logiciel

The 6902 has both HD tuners so that should be OK for you, though a bit pricey.
You get EPGs for them, but of course they're not the FS or FV EPGs.

kevkbuk

Distinguished Member
Amiko does a triple tuner with s2 & t2 also, don't know if they are any good. Seperates is the way to go if you can...

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom