Good freeview pic,but poor analogue

idolm

Standard Member
Hello:clap:
I have just fitted a new digital aerial,it is fitted outside.

The picture from the TV's built in freeview is very good,but when I switch to the analogue tuner,the pic is blurred and snowy .

Is this normal ,or does the aerial require fine tuning ?.I have seen at Maplins a device which shows the signal strength,is this worth buying?.Also It states it require extra connection to attach the aerial cables.

Sorry for asking so many questions,Cheers:thumbsup:

STOWITBELOW

I am wrestling with this issue also. I'm waiting for some knowledgable person to help with my post! I live in a marginal area due to a hill. However my friend who tried FV first explained there is no line of sight to the transmitter, but pointing the aerial towards it, it would pick up digial but not analogue. This has been the case. This new transmitter is in the oposit direction to the old, local one. If you're still on the same transmitter you should still have the same qualty of analogue you used to.

mike7

Distinguished Member
I am wrestling with this issue also. I'm waiting for some knowledgable person to help with my post! I live in a marginal area due to a hill. However my friend who tried FV first explained there is no line of sight to the transmitter, but pointing the aerial towards it, it would pick up digial but not analogue. This has been the case. This new transmitter is in the oposit direction to the old, local one. If you're still on the same transmitter you should still have the same qualty of analogue you used to.
Did you retune your analogue channels when you turned the aerial to face the new transmitter. Maybe that you're picking up Freeview from one transmitter and analogue from another. Might require a manual retune. Just a thought.

ROYOLD

Novice Member
Normally with an IDTV set the TV will first scan for the digital freeview channels and when these are set up it will then scan for analogue channels.
Did you allow it to do this? If not, do a manual scan for analogue channels.

Does your TV have more than one aerial input socket? If so try connecting to the other input also by a link. I would have expected the TV to have an internal aerial link if it uses separate digital and analogue tuners. This Sony connection diagram shows a TV with three RF co-ax connections.

http://support.sony-europe.com/tutorials/tv/diagrams/sd/connection.asp?l=en&d=h15&fd=IDTV,DVDR

Lots of freeview information on this webpage :

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewhelp.html

STOWITBELOW

Did you retune your analogue channels when you turned the aerial to face the new transmitter. Maybe that you're picking up Freeview from one transmitter and analogue from another. Might require a manual retune. Just a thought.
My thoughts exactly for idolm, if he's changed transmitters. I did retune - to no avail. Royold's radio&tele link seems on the money. It mentioned changing the fly lead from wall socket to tv, which originaly gave me FV when there was none. I'll have to read it more thoroughly for further tips.