1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good for movies or good for music...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Lowrider, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a common question in every AV forum...

I saw yesterday a transcript of a post in this forum where some guy (sorry I cannot remember the name), talked about speaker settings, large or small, (he concluded small is usually better, no matter the size of the speaker, I agree). He also went on to say that if a subwoofer is not good for music, but good for movies, it just means it is not good, thats it...

I, again, agree, when most people say good for movies, they mean good for reproduction of special effects, "noise", and as they don´t have a reference, the louder the noise it makes, including distortion, the better... But they forget movies are loaded with music, and good music too...

Now, for the reproduction of music, most people goes to live performances, some more than others, we all have references, so we recognise distortion, don´t like it, and then only some gear is good for music...

My conclusion is that good for movies means BAD, and good for music means GOOD, regardless if we speak of DVD players playing CDs, amplifiers, speakers, etc...

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +934
    Depends what you term as good & bad.

For example what I consider to be bad might be good for someone else and vice versa.

We all have different ideas of what things should be like, how uninteresting would things be if we all thought the same and liked the same thing!

Personally, I think my sub (Rel Q200) is BETTER for movies than it is for music, its certainly not BAD for music and i´ve heard worse. Others may consider it crap.

Different opinions for different people.

You pays your money you takes your choice!!

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly what I mean, not bad for music, better for movies means you are not as demanding for movies... ;)

Of course there are always compromises, like fitting our budget... there is no absolute bad or good, just as good as you can afford, or as good as the technology alows...

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    not to disagree or anything, but what about the thx spanner in the works......top notch (apparently) for movies.....but horrendously bad for music.....yet alot of people still strive to it and i have to say that i havent heard a similarly priced 'musical' system match a thx one for films......

ad

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Antonio,
    I believe that well set up well placed Subwoofers are in fact essential for the reproduction of good quality music.
    Without a decent sub, how is an instrument such as the bass drum ever going to be properly reproduced. Its not just one instrument either.
    Bass guitar is another candidate. One particular Organ recording I've heard for example went down as low as 15hz.

A few years back many die hard audiophiles would take the option of having hot pokers stuck in their eyes rather than put a sub in their systems. Things have changed greatly now.
    Today the sub is seen as an integral part of music reproduction that adds another dimension to the way we percieve recorded music.

Eric

6. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buns,

Even the THX guys decided to change their specs, because they found out a good speaker for music was better for movies then the ones following their specs. They had assumed rooms that didn´t exist in the real world, our houses...

I have seen people in this forum replacing their THX speakers for "proper" ones, at least the fronts... ;)

Eric,

I know that, I have 2 REL Strata III set for music, of course they play movies well...

7. RC

RC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly agree with you Antonio, that the concept of reproduction of sound in a high-fidelity manner is the ultimate test of equipment that reproduces sound (whether or not there are accompanying images on another device).

I think it is fair to say that when people say something is 'good for movies' they are being a lot less demanding of the sound, simply because there senses are bombarded by a whole different set of perceptions, so the aural sensation is diminished. That being said, a 'good for movies, not so hot for music' system, may well be capable of evoking greater emotion (than a good for music' system) when watching a film, not because of it's faithful reproduction of the soundtrack as put together by the audio engineer, but because it bombards, scares, shocks us, or whatever. In combination with the images, that's enough I would say. Generally speaking though, I'd always put my money on the 'good for music' side.

8. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ah right.....thats what i get for not knowing! I am not exactly a frequent thx listner so to be fair i cant really say that a thx system doesnt sound better (film wise) than a comparative musical system.....but now i know!

I agree that a sub is an absolutely essential part of a musical system.....i bought a rel storm 3 years ago....at that point i had no cinema system or even any desires to have one....it was bought solely for music and I have to say a sub is to me the most fun part of my system......fine without it the sound is pleasant and accurate....but the sub just adds fun!

ad