1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good for Home and Office?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ian_guinan, Sep 24, 2001.

1. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Like many of us poor souls I have to go to work for a living ;( and a projector would be very useful for us at work.

Whilst I realise it would be a compromise is there a projector out there that is good for both data AND video? The bonus would then be that when work was over at the end of the day, it could serve a role at home also (with the comforting thought that some of it was tax deductable!).

My wish list would be;<br />-accepts progressive scan component<br />-XGA if possible<br />-a DLP<br />-sensible fan noise<br />-portable<br />-sensible price<br />-last but not least, good colour and contrast (yeh, yeh, I know, within the limits of LCD/DLP).

I've seen 'powerpoint' type projectors dismissed on various occasions, but is there one that can do both? Any suggestions?

Ian Guinan

2. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Just to kick things off, how about this?<br /><a href="http://www.infocus.com/projectors/index.asp?proj=lp530" target="_blank">http://www.infocus.com/projectors/index.asp?proj=lp530</a><br />Notice the 'economy' mode which knocks back the brightness to lower fan noise and prolong bulb life. Could this be a candidate?

Ian Guinan

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    Ian,<br />Had a look at the spec of the Infocus. How much quieter does the fan noise become in economy mode? 39dB is pretty loud for home cinema, something less than 33dB should be your target.

I know this goes against the grain for you, but have you considered a Sony VPL-VW10?

It has XGA resolution for Data, 1000 ANSI in full brightness which is enough for the average Power Point presentation on a 6ft wide screen, accepts progressive scan and is very quite. They're being heavily discounted prior to the VW11 coming out, so picking one up at a reasonable price should be a snip.

Regards

4. ian_guinan

ian_guinan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've not been too impressed with the Sonys I've seen in terms of colour and contrast, plus they are not really as 'portable' as I am hoping for.

I'm not too sure about the noise levels of the Infocus in economy mode, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled for more details (not even sure if it is out in the UK).

Ian Guinan