1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good for Cinema and music?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by thesumo, Nov 27, 2001.

1. thesumo

thesumo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats the best speaker package at around £600 - £700 which is a good mix for both home cinema and music - has to be good for music if Im to get the other halfs approval!

I've listened to the Kef KHT 2005's, the mission FSAV's and thought they were great with films but not so good with music. Would full size be better, and if so can anyone recommend a set for that price including Sub?

2. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,402
    Ok, with £700 I seriously would buy the £500 (maybe £450) REL Q150 and any old £200 speakers. Then when you have some more cash fork out for better speakers.
    I say this because any subwoofer of lesser value than this isn't really going to be very good. And it's amazing what a difference a good sub can make to even the cheapo speakers.
    Having said that you can get the Eltax Liberty system from Richer Sounds for £250.
    At this budget though, you don't really get speakers which you could say are good for music and movies. You're on to a winner if you can get a system which sounds reasonable.
    Which the REL + Eltaxes should.

3. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,971
    Some very good advice from Stuart there. He is right about buying a better quality Sub, and using them with budget speakers till you have more funds.

I did this, i bought a Rel Storm sub and the cheapish Kef cresta 2's for front & back and cresta centre. Will eventually upgrade these to Kef TDM's.

4. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could just do what I did and go to a good dealer with the intention of spending £6-700 and coming out with the Ruark Contemporary R series and a melting credit card. I am now repenting in cinematic leisure.

S

5. iainsim

iainsim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, so where am I going to get a good deal on this kit? Prices seem to vary massively from place to place.....

Thanks guys

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    For 500-700 you could consider Acoustic Energy 100 series (a bit dated nowadays maybe) or Mission 7 series / Cinema7 package.
    Add a good sub later when funds allow while spending as much as you can afford.

7. spikeyboy3

spikeyboy3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I curently have thew mission cinema 7 speaker package - which in total would cost around £800 (£400 for fronts, £200 center, £200 rears) for the price i find them very good.

Although i am looking to upgrade to the Ruarks that Paiger has - nothing wrong with the missions (they won awards after all) just want something a bit better :)

You can see pics of em here: http://covertops.org/ezboard/Forum1/HTML/000591.html?0152

Spike