1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good floor standing speakers?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by CharlieNash, Dec 16, 2002.

1. CharlieNash

CharlieNash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm currently looking at the Pioneer S-H453F-K, Sony SSM-F600H, and KLH 5001.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I think those are American brand/model speakers, so UK owners will be thin on the ground. IMO Pioneer and Sony are better at electronics than speakers, esp. those Sony 600's with so many drivers which are hard to integrate. At $300 I would say the R&D time was only a few hours..:rolleyes:

Rather look at manufacturers who only know how to make speakers such as Mission, Kef or Tannoy. :)

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    You may also want to take a look at B&W(www.bwloudspeakers.com) for a huge range of good speakers from quite cheap,to stunningly expensive.

I have a set of Nautilus 805s,and am very happy with them...beautiful build quality and sound.

4. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Probably a bit out of Charlie's market tho' eh? ;)

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I wouldn't argue with that statement, but the 805s aren't floorstanders, are they? :rolleyes:

Charlie, if you want floorstanders from B&W then you'll need to look to CDM 7NTs, or (more likely to be in your price bracket if you're considering something costing $300) something in their 600 series 3 range, perhaps 603s or 602.5s.

I've heard quite good things about the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3, which sell for about £300 a pair, I believe.

6. Kain

Kain
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Check out Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Thanks Nobber and Nicolas....Think you may have missed the point.....I wasn't suggesting the 805's as floor standers or as being in the required price range,more that B&W have an enormous range of speakers,from cheap to expensive,and including floor standers in each price range,hence my suggestion of a look at B&W's website..:rolleyes:

The comment re my speakers was related to build quality and sound....some of the cheaper models sound pretty good too,and have reviewed well

8. CharlieNash

CharlieNash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

I have no price range. But this is just for a bedroom surround system. The rooms not even 20x20.

So It would be pointless for me to buy speakers that are meant to fill a small theatre.

I have heard very expensive speaker systems next to systems that were midrange, and I could tell no difference. ;)

I just don't want speakers that suck. :blush:

9. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can't tell the difference then buy the midrange speakers. :p

10. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    As a starting point - go and demo a pair of B&W 603 s3s.

MuFu.

11. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've heard that the Mission M73i are pretty good speakers, and only £200 as well. They're manufactured in Malaysa or something to reduce manufacturing costs while maintaining high quality standards, so many magazines I've read say they're the best floor standers at that price bracket.

12. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    DON'T! As you so rightly say Charlie, you want them for your bedroom. 603's are for large living rooms, etc. They will sound rubbish. I promise you.

The Missions are very nice (I have a set) but again they also need a bit of space. My living room is 7x4 m and they sound great. However in my 4x4 bedroom, they are a bit overwhelming, despite being budget floorstanders & well-reviewed everywhere
    :(

The best floorstanders I have heard in a small room and up against a wall are made by Yamaha (bang goes my earlier post about buying from those who exclusively make speakers:rolleyes: ). The NS150 & NS200 floorstanders are very nice and will give a good sound in a small room. They are available at good prices online. Also try Tannoy MX3M which are also front ported with good, tight bass.

IMO opinion the best speakers for a bedroom are small bookshelf speakers & matching sub or a good sub/sat set like AE Aego P5 or Kef Eggs. The sats are easy to place and you can move the sub around to tame bass distortion. Wait until you have your own bigger place to splash out on expensive floorstanders, esp. biggies like B&W.

13. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    His bedroom is ~<20x20 (I'm guess - from the comment he made) and most likely fully carpetted and upholstered. That's bigger than our lounge. I appreciate what you are are trying to say, though. He may have problems with large floorstanders.

I agree that the m73/m73i's are superb and are an absolute steal at close to £100, these days. My point was just to get out there and listen to something! :D At least then you have some frame of reference for comparison. Besides, I have heard 603s in a small (~12x15) carpetted room and the bass can be contained adequately by using the foam port bungs and pulling them away from the wall by about a 50cm-1m. The s3's are a lot better in that respect than the old s2's.

Anybody can hear the difference between midrange and high-end speakers. It's just some people really don't want to. When you are young, these people are called "parents". :D

MuFu.

14. xtremecool

xtremecool
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I must be the exception to the rule then, I have a set of DM603S2s in a lam floored room with only curtains and a sofa and the room measures 11ft x 12.5ft.

There is no preceived booming from the bass, and only when the bass boost is switched on on my Sony Receiver does the bass ever get a bit OTT, but again this only happens as you get to 1/2 volume. If I turn off the bass boost it all sounds fine again.

603s are loud and quite bassy but if you try to use a bass boost to try to get them to extend lower you may find the mid bass just too much, my solution is a new sub to fill out the sub bass and no bass boost. :)

Jon

15. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    You have a bedroom that's nearly 20 foot square and you consider that small? :eek: Good grief, what kind of house are you living in?

20'x20' is more than enough space for pretty much any system you care to throw at it.

16. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
  17. chino

chino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about some monitor audio floorstanders? I tested some Monitor Ausio Silver 6's (£600) yesterday and I though they were brilliant, will be my next purchase.

I tested them against B&W 602's, Kef Q3's, Kef Q5's and Monitor Audio Silver 5's. Didn't try the B&W 603's, will have to before i purchase anything, although I haven't read particularly favourable reviews on them.

They were tested in a room approx 8ft x 10ft and they sounded good, no booming annoying resonant frequencies.

Chino