Good films you have no desire to see again...

Jim Di Griz

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Must be years since I started a thread here - unlike some I could mention ;)

Anyway - it can't be just me. Films that are good (or even very good) that you have no desire to watch or buy ever again for whatever reason. My main reason would be I've seen them too many times in the past and just don't have any desire to see them again. I'll kick things off and I'm sure many will disagree but feel free to post your choices!

Die Hard 1-3 (I won't even bother mentioning the ones after these 3 as they are beneath comment)
Back to the Future 1-3
Indiana Jones 2 and 3

12 Years a Slave. Watched in cinema. Bought the blu-ray when it came out, sat on my shelf ever since, not sure I'll ever be in the mood to re-watch it but I've been thinking about it recently.

Requiem for a dream. Really effective film about addiction, but felt so dirty after watching it. Glad I watched it, I've recommended it to people, but once is enough.

12 Years a Slave. Watched in cinema. Bought the blu-ray when it came out, sat on my shelf ever since, not sure I'll ever be in the mood to re-watch it but I've been thinking about it recently.

Requiem for a dream. Really effective film about addiction, but felt so dirty after watching it. Glad I watched it, I've recommended it to people, but once is enough.
Yep Requiem for me too - dont want to see that again.

And Schindler's List too.

Yep Requiem for me too - dont want to see that again.

And Schindler's List too.
Agree with Schindler's List, although it's not that I don't want to watch it again but more that I don't know if I could watch it again. Really got to me when I watched it for the first time two years ago.
Apart from that one I can't think of any other good movies I wouldn't want to watch again but I do try to leave a two year gap between re-watching a movie. Doesn't always work out as I watched Jaws twice within a week of getting the UHD disc.
The other end of the scale is really bad movies that I've watched more than once (why?) but definitely won't be watching again. One of those was in your 1st post that you rightly didn't bother to mention so neither will I.

High Crimes, Wild Things, Double Jeopardy, A Simple Plan, Butterfly Effect
(once you know how they end, that's all)

any of the El Mariachi films by Rodriguez

Forrest Gump

any Tarantino film
(ANY) Salma Hayek scenes get a pass

Taxi Driver

most Tom Cruise movies, except Interview with the Vampire & the Kubrick one

most Kubrick films, maybe all (except that one with Cruise)

I really enjoyed Lord Of The Rings at the cinema.

I bought the trilogy on Blu-ray years ago and haven't watched them yet.

Bought The Hobbit trilogy too
Watched them twice as I didn't enjoy them the first time

I guess I've just gone off the genre.

Schindler's List immediately came to mind to me too, and Requiem for a Dream, I don't think I could watch Threads again either, especially not at the moment.

Schindler's List immediately came to mind to me too, and Requiem for a Dream, I don't think I could watch Threads again either, especially not at the moment.
Absolutely with Schindler's and I fully understand regarding Threads but I have watched Threads several times. Like yourself it's not one on the top of my to watch again list at this moment.

Bri

Mother - can't believe I watched it in the first place.

The Lord of The Rings Threesome:.....
is a case where I probably would’ve bought the 4K UHD set had it not been beaten around with the DNR stick. But I’ve since realised that abuse actually did me a favour as I don’t think I could sit through the whole thing again.

Add The Deerhunter. Review coming up in the usual place..
For me The Deerhunter is in the category "movies other people consider good that I have no desire to see again". Admittedly I've not watched it since renting it on VHS nearly 40 years ago. That wedding that just seemed to go on and on.
Topping that particular list would be what I consider as the worst movie I ever watched that I watched to the end. Four Weddings and a Funeral, again another VHS rental that I never watched again. A comedy that didn't get close to even the slightest hint of a laugh from me, unlike the earlier Hugh Grant classic The Lair of the White Worm which was very funny.

The Lord of The Rings Threesome:.....
is a case where I probably would’ve bought the 4K UHD set had it not been beaten around with the DNR stick. But I’ve since realised that abuse actually did me a favour as I don’t think I could sit through the whole thing again.
At school I had to read The Hobbit and I hated it, even more than I hated reading Macbeth. Quite enjoyed The Merchant of Venice. Due to this and also not being a Peter Jackson fan, his King Kong was far too long, I've never had any desire to see The Lord of the Rings or Hobbit movies no matter how many people tell me how great they are.

Deer hunter definitely also dances with wolves, Schindlers list

Citizen Kane. It's held in such high regard by most critics that I always thought it must be me who didn't get it, but I've tried it 3 times now & have decided that life's too short.
The original Star Wars trilogy.
The Lion King.
Dr Strangelove.
Monty Python & The Holy Grail. I just didn't find it funny.
All are held in high regard, all are on IMDb's Top 250, but I won't watch any of them again.

Not sure I want to watch ‘The Village’ again; once you know the secret...🤔

Oddly, my experience with The Village was different. Watched it the first time & didn't think too much of it but decided to give it a second chance a good 10 years later & I enjoyed it very much more.

Films to watch every 10 years: Is there a thread? :D

Films to watch every 10 years: Is there a thread? :D
The amount of films being bought by some here means they will have films that won't get watched once, never mind every 10 years! ;)

The Matrix Resurrections

My actual pick is probably anything by Paul Thomas Anderson. Except Punch Drunk Love and Hard Eight - both of which I enjoyed immensely. I think I just don’t get his films. For example, I originally bought Magnolia on dvd but have never been able to get through the whole film without dozing off. And what’s that stuff with the frogs all about??? In the context of the topic, I think I can see why they are highly rated - good acting, directing etc. but not really something I’d revisit. Having said that, IVe talked myself into watching Magnolia again now so it has defeated the objective!

Instead, I’ll go for Wes Anderson’s The Royal Tennenbaums. And his films in general. Another darling of the critics - I was bored shitless when I saw Tennenbaums at the cinema.

Coma with Michael Douglas

Come to think of it, many Crichton films:

Twister
Rising Sun
Andromeda Strain
Congo
Sphere (but I'm a liar, because I just bought it on blu-ray)
original Westworld is a one-time wonder, as well
(read the novel)

Barry Lyndon I made a vow never to watch it again, will miss it for the craft but Ryan O'Neil can bore off and do one.

Schindler's always bored me but Requiem deserves watching any time.
Barry Lyndon is a slow one but Ill definitely be picking that up on 4K when it appears.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom