Good Films But Not Blockbusters

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Cortex, Feb 4, 2001.

1. Cortex

Cortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many a topics passes us by, week by week. But apart from the big movies (Gladiator, Toy Story 1 & 2 etc etc. big, big list), what amazing movies hide themselves within your DVD library, were never big hits but need the recognition that they deserve.

Number 1 with a bullet within mine is George A Romero's 1978 "Dawn Of The Dead" FIRST CLASS FILM!!!!

Try and broaden every members cinematic horizons with your hiddens wonders.

2. dUnKle

dUnKle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Drive
    beyond the mat
    deep rising
    ghost dog
    go
    human traffic
    rules of engagement
    wing commander

3. Elephant Man

Elephant Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7

DuncanWardle

Do you know if Beyond the mat UK version is cut

4. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The "Life Of Brian" criterion edition is one of my favorite discs of the moment that never seems to get a mention. Simply a classic film, in my humble opinion. Deleted scenes, commentary from most of the python's, and a great old BBC documentary on the filming of the thing.
    Touch Of Evil and The Third Man are also worth a place in any collection.
    Hmm...Can't think of any more...

I can't believe that no-ones heard of it?

5. Cortex

Cortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1990 Corey Haim - Prayer Of the Rollerboys - another excellent flick - DVD release? Anyone know?

1992 Braindead - Budget Horror Flick From Australia, Directed Peter Jackson of Bad Taste fame, you love these films due to the lack of multi million digital special effects

Late 90's Dark City - Keifer Sutherland amongst others, decent sci-fi flick but a bit predictable.

These are the only VHS tapes that i own, I'll get round to buying Dark City, R2 pro logic version doesn't do it for me R1 5.1 would be nice.

6. Cortex

Cortex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Duncan, by some telepathic bit of luck, watched Wing Commander on VHS from local Blockbuster on a freebie, played all the interactive PC games. Games were good and film did not let me down. Is it out on R1 or R2? If so, extras etc etc?

7. Hendrik

Hendrik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...try George A Romero's 1978 "Martin"...

. . .

8. Napoleon

Napoleon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mister Roberts
    Stripes
    Breaker Morant
    3 Days of the Condor
    Manchurian Candidate
    Life of Brian.(Totally agree with post above)

[This message has been edited by Napoleon (edited 04-02-2001).]

9. The Taskmaster

The Taskmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's available on DVD (hopefully someday!) but the original serialisation of Quatermass and the pit is probably the best piece of sci-fi ever.

------------------
    The inspiration NOT the imitation
    The Mighty TM - the LEGEND lives on...

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Agree on "Prayer of the Rollerboys", is (if I am not mistaken) available as "Rollerboys", see e.g.:

Sh.., can't get a link to dvdempire.com or dvdexpress.com, please try yourself ...

Furthermore I recommend (all R1):

L.A. Takedown ("original" of 'Heat')
    The Big Hit (silly but funny and great picture/sound)
    Dark City (Sci-Fi)
    Set it off (action thriller about 4 female bankrobbers)
    LA Confidential (though it won an Oscar or two I think it wasn't really a blockbuster)

------------------
    If I can't eat it, drink it or fudge it, I ain't interested.

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Can I add the following:

Michael Mann's excellent pilot episode of his superb 1986 TV series "Crime Story" (Anchor Bay - R1).

"Perfect Blue" is one of the most incredible Anime films of recent times, and is not unlike "Wes Craven's New Nightmare"; i.e. it mixes fiction and fantasy to such a degree, it really messes with your head!

"Risky Business" with Tom Cruise and Rebecca De Mornay, is another very funny film.

And finally, check out the criminally underrated thriller "Runaway Train" with Jon Voight, Eric Roberts and Rebecca De Mornay. This is the quintissential thriller. Written by Akira Kurosawa, and directed by Russian cinematician Andrei Konchalovsky, this film deserves far more viewers. Check out the MGM/Universal R1 DVD!

Pooch

12. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, taskmaster, Quatermass was great.

Anyone remember the final series, on ITV in about 1979? It was great, something about hippies (planet people?) being killed/taken into space by sentient beings? Quatermass was looking for his daughter, Wembley stadium was being used for political executions, the "pay-police" were a corrupt, killing machine and gang warfare on the streets of London! It was the best thing ever, and frightened the crap out of me!

Anyone know where I can get a copy? It was released many years ago as a double tape edition?

A long shot?

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A seasonal film "Its a Wonderful Life" (B&W) is one of those golden oldies that I have on dvd and it is my favourite film.
    A lot of the HC purists would argue it is in mono and black and white.This film impresses me for its sheer class in acting,storyline and feelgood factor.Arguably James'Stewarts finest role.

martinc

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If this is one your after then your in luck http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004VVRW/imdb-uk/202-4611877-8040648

Unfortunately the John Mills one from the 70s is not available on DVD yet cos like you desade it freeked me out at the time.

15. The Taskmaster

The Taskmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fatbhoyslim - that is EXACTLY what I'm talking about! I didn't know it was available on DVD. I've got a VHS copy from about 1988 (ish). I must admit the only other Quatermass I've seen is the film version of this story, but it was nowhere near as good. If any of you guys haven't seen this film, go buy it right now!

------------------

16. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    Probably one of my all time favs that seems to have been neglected over the years is Glengarry Glenross. A superb film with fantastic acting from Kevin Spacey, Al Pacino, Ed Harris, Jack Lemmon et al. Very basic story but great entertainment. If you have not seen it yet then watch it soon.

17. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK - done that anything else?

In the meantime a few off the top of my head...

That Sinking Feeling
    The Natural
    Two Minute Warning
    Black Christmas
    Fail Safe
    Three Days of the Condor

and how about a compilation of the best of Play For Today - some absolute belters in there.

18. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    SOK - Glengarry Glen Ross Is fantastic. Have you seen "Boiler Room"? Sort of a similar film and also very good.

"Way of the Gun"
    "Johnny Got His Gun" (where, oh, where can I get a DVD copy!)
    Its a Wonderful Life is also great. Sod the HC purists, just cos' its not DTS or DD doesn't mean it can't be a great film. "All quiet on the Western Front" (original version" also does it for me.

19. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    Thanks for the tip Desade - I'll rent it out soon. Totally agree with you too about the older films. It is nice to see someone who likes a film even if it hasn't got demo quality sound and SFX. I am still old fashioned and think that the entire film (STORY, ACTING, DIALOGUE, CHARACTERS, etc) is the most important thing. GGR is a perfect example of this. It only has about 4 different locations but you don't notice that when you are engrossed in the story. You can see that it was developed from a stage play. I still regret not going to see a travelling theatre company do it in my local theatre about 5 years ago. That would have been good methinks.

As for All Quiet on the Western Front. I have always wanted to see that but could never track it down. Heard so much about it. Is it available on DVD?

20. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is available on R1 in a restored version. Not sure about R2?

If the things you mention are old fashioned then I am a right old fogey!

21. The Taskmaster

The Taskmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I haven't checked to see if it's on DVD, but SHADOWMAKERS is the story of the A-Bomb and stars Dwight Shultz (spelling?) John Cusack and Laura Dern, all on superb form. Shultz is a revelation as Oppenheimer. I think it was renamed from Fat Man and Little Boy.

------------------

22. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    Taskmaster

Thanks for reminding me about Shadowmakers. I have only ever seen it once and from what I can remember it was excellent. No sign of it since.

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

24. Jimmy the Saint

Jimmy the Saint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a few films that didn't quite hit that Blockbuster status, but were great none the less:

Things to do in Denver when you're dead
    Thursday
    The Arrival
    The Thing (only a blockbuster on video/DVD)
    Warlock

'A brutha from anutha mutha'

25. The Taskmaster

The Taskmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    El Mariachi - top film, made for $7000 and available on R2 as a double-pack with Desperado (big budget sequel). Also, extra features contains a 'ten minute film school' on how to shoot a movie for $7000.

------------------

26. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +747
    Desade

Thanks for the tips. Rented out 'Way of the Gun' R1 and 'Boiler Room' R2 couple of nights ago. Thoroughly enjoyed both of them. I had been on the look out for Way of the Gun after I had seen Jonathan Ross review it about 6 months ago. And Boiler Room was so similar to the concept behind GGR that I found it excellent. What with the purchasing manager in the film taking on the role of Jonathan Pryce in GGR. GGR even gets a mention in it!! Ben Affleck and V. Diesel's characters were excellent. Isn't it funny sometimes when you think of the good films that are out there that you have never either seen or heard of??

27. desade

desade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry to be a bore, but has anyone seen "The Big Kahuna?". Another Kevin Spacey, Danny Devito stage play based film. Fantastic performances and very deep.

Give it a try SOK? Again, follows similar themes of GGR and Boiler Room ie the vapidity of life as a sales person!