Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Good film DVDs for demoing subwoofer

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by vaderx, Oct 11, 2004.

1. vaderx

vaderx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone,

I've just bought my first subwoofer (KEF PSW2500) finally completing my home cinema. I've only had it for four days but it really sounds terrific especially with action films, music on MTV, etc... :smashin:

However, I was wondering if there were any film DVDs which are especially good for demoing it. I've got some friends coming round at the weekend and really want to show it off. :cool:

Just let me know what you guys use. :clap:

Many thanks,

Chris

2. dts_boy

dts_boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    i'm sure there was a thread a while back on exatly this - have a search!
    i would try a star wars episode 1, any of the lotr films, u571, the list can and does go on. personally though, as much as its good to show off your new subwoofer with lots of bangs and low end action you will be more impressed long term by adjusting it so it complements your existing speakers - not drowning them out!

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    Transferring to DVD Talk

4. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi vader -

I didnt know where else to ask - but how were the films sounding without a subwoofer? Reason I ask is that I've got somewhere in the region as the same sort of speakers as you, and have been looking at the PSW2500, but cant stretch to it at the moment, so it looks like I will have to be subless for a while!

Any impressions?

5. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,946
    The Haunting in ES, excellent

6. vaderx

vaderx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unlight,

I bought my system (speakers and receiver but no subwoofer) about a year ago and had been running it like this until last week when I got the PSW2500.

I'd originally thought that because my front speakers were quite big (KEF Q5 floorstanders), they would be able to handle the bass and adding a sub would make only a minor difference.

Boy, was I wrong!!! The improvement is massive. It's like night and day. :thumbsup:

Everything sounds richer, more complete, and with action films especially, during intense scenes it feels like there is a wall of sound in front of you. Totally immersive. :clap:

If you can, get the dealer to let you demo the sub at home. I'm sure you'll love it. :) Also, given you have KEF speakers already, it's quite a close match in terms of looks/shape although the quality of the veneer is slightly worse though.

PS My system is calibrated using an SPL meter. :)

Chris

7. Unlight

Unlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the insight mate :)

Looks like I'll have to get the old credit card out - setting everything up for the first time on Wednesday!

8. sjp1966

sjp1966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Vader, let us know what you found that gives good bass from your sub, i would also be interested in the settings you have on the back. I have a PSW2500 with Q4's and a Q6

9. figlio

figlio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    TITAN A.E is a good movie for demoing a sub.

10. vaderx

vaderx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve,

So far I've only watched Gumball 3000: The Movie (2003) and Equilibrium (2002) from start to finish. To my novice ear, both showed definite improvements especially with scenes involving dance music or heavy gunfire/action. Apart from that, I use my system mainly for watching Sky and any bass heavy music sounds brilliant. :thumbsup:

In terms of settings, my 3802 is configured to send anything below 80 Hz to the subwoofer and nowhere else. All speakers are set to 75 dB and the sub to 80 dB (as recommended elsewhere in the forums) using my SPL meter. On the back of the sub, I've set the switches to "Ground = In", "Cinema" and "Slope = 12 dB". "Phase Adjust = 0" and "Crossover Frequency = 140 Hz". (I assume the subwoofer crossover frequency setting doesn't matter, as long as it's above the one set in the amp.)

When I get some time I'm going to burn a test tones CD and do a frequency plot but even so the system does sound much better than before.

Chris