Good fightback from HD DVD Camp?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Scott_Mac, Jan 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott_Mac

Scott_Mac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +623
    In light of the Warner move what do folks think of the actions from the HD DVD camp? On one hand i see it as a bit of a panic sell, they reduce the priced heavily and if they sell all the units they have scheduled to build then great, alternatively, the masses buy into their idea of a cheap way of getting top notch upscaling and the players flood into the market (my sister has bought an EP30) and things take off for them.

However, on the other hand i think the move by the BR camp where they appear to have increased the prices of all players by around 10% stinks of complacency to me, it's fairly clear that they were bankrolling the reduced player costs to try and win a war...

Will be an interesting few months... i've just acquired a full 1080p HD LCD so will definitely be buying an HD source now, and at the moment that looks like being an EP35 if the price reductions come around quickly.... though an XE1 from the outlet store is tempting!!!

2. ozzzy189

ozzzy189

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,211
    Movies are still to dear in shops, if they knock shop prices down to 15/20 quid and maybe even advertise in cinemas and on tv, there is no reason why hddvd can't still end up with at least a 50% share of this market. Bluray seems to be a format for kids with consoles and a small percentage of serious users , wheras hddvd seems to be the choice of the enthusiast. I can't see many ps3 owners, globally, not just on here, having anything other than a fairly small lcd. The point i'm trying to make, is that imo, the hddvd camp appeals to a certain user who more than likely, has a full av system and the option to get the most out of the format, wheras BR imo, will be mainly, viwed on a smallish screen by a few kids in a bedroom.

3. Rich777

Rich777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    The price reductions would have been announced at CES.

The Warner decision was to sell HD to PS3 owners, they do not expect the market as a whole to adopt HD in the short term ..and therefor the BDA stance of high prices for discs and hardware plays out well, early adopters, gamers and technophiles will pay higher prices.

HD optical will remain a niche product, as a viable format DVD will probably outlast it. Expect SSD's to take over from HD optical before it reaches anything like its full potential.

4. kingfats

kingfats
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,970
    Hi :)
    Please post in the HD DVD owners-what now thread. :smashin:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.