1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good experiences with a PC ??

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by U187146, May 20, 2005.

1. U187146

U187146
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to get a bang up to date Windows Media PC and want to hook up to a decent 26" LCD. Likely to be used as much for surfing web and for watching TV, so need to know of those out there who have already done this know the pitfalls and any good models. Will spend around £800.

I understand that DVI output is pretty important when connecting up to a PC. Not sure about what else is a pre-requisite.

Thanks.

2. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using a TV screen for websurfing is only practical when you have set it up in such a way that you can watch TV from maybe 2 or 3 meters away and surf the web from 1 meter or less.
    There is no way you are going to read and use webpages from the same distance as watching TV.

3. moveq

moveq
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I have been after the same thing as you for a couple of months now. Running around the stores with my laptop and plugging it into everything that doesn't move :D. I've taken two plunges already but both TVs have been somehow faulty.

First got the Thomson 27LB120S4 for 990 € and it was actually great at first. Its native resolution of 1280x720 worked right away when connected to PC. However run some monitor test program and it revealed that the set could not really display dark colors well (picture was very blocky). Earlier my wife had complained that when Playing PS2 games everything that come towards you from dark seem to just pop up from nowhere. So returned the set.

The second one I got was a huge 37 incher LG RZ-37LZ30 (2300 €), which also worked well with PC (native 1366x768, worked with 1360x768). I wrote about the fault in this one on this forum. After using this for a month I don't think I can settle for anything smaller than 32" anymore :)

There's one negative thing I have noticed when testing TVs with my laptop in the stores. Quite many of the new sets do not seem to support their native resolution 1:1 via PC input. For example I couldn't get the new Thomson models to work full screen with PC even though the one I got did. I didn't have Powerstrip installed when I tested those, so cannot say whether the resolution could be forced.

The next two candidates for yet another plunge are:
    DiBOSS LT-32HLF 32" (1250 €)
    Toshiba 37WL56 37" (2100 €)

The tosh has been discussed here quite a bit. If anybody has anything to say about the DiBoss please do...

4. U187146

U187146
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps I am barking up the wrog tree and actually need a good TFT monitor, as they seem to be able to handle PC output as well as DVD quality for watching films / TV etc. Not sure you can get bigger than 20" though. Surprising that people are having such problems with LCDs as I would have thought that with the advent of Windows Media Centre PCs, such compatibility would be in very high demand. First to really crack this and design on this basis from the start won't be able to sell them quick enough.

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I beleive people have had success with the Sharps, but the existing DVI versions are just about sold out, new versions are due in the Summer.

6. MaJong

MaJong

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I have a similar quandry-Think I will go for the Acer AL2671W (£586 on DABS little more on Ebuyer).

Seems to be accurate as a monitor, where as many others scale the PC inputs. Just trying to confirm it will do 50hz for PAL DVD on PC.

Some comments around here and links to reviews, try a quick search for feedback..

7. U187146

U187146
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a look at the TrustedReviews review of the Acer. Sounds brilliant value for money. Guess you have just saved me having to look further and about £200. Count me in....

You have probably already seen the review. In case you haven't check this out.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=1013&head=18

8. tesh

tesh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am using my Philips 26PF9956 as a PC monitor via the DVI and it looks superb. This tv might be slightly out of your budget but the 26PF9946 does the exact same job for less money. I've attached a pic showing what the web looks like on it. I've also got the picture in picture feature on in the pic

Attached Files:

9. DigiDunk

DigiDunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi You might want to check out my experience with this set.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213309 It looked great when connected to a PC. However it still would occasionally scan the inputs when you were booting up/using the PC. Seems every time it sensed no input at an input source it would immediately drop this input and look for another. Looks like there should be some delay before it scans for another input source or there should be a way to stop this auto scanning. If you ran a pcprogram that blanked the screen for a fraction of a second that was enough to induce the problem. So that along with the remote issue it went back.

10. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Looks good Tesh, what resolution you run games at? Can you run at 800*600 and if so what is it like and what complicatiosns have you come across using a widescreen monitor?

Update: Reading the review on homecinema it says the phillips doesn't support progressive but surely if you connect your pc via vga/dvi then these connections output a progressive picture by nature?

11. tesh

tesh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've not tried running games on it as i've not had it long but the picture is very sharp using powerstrip to get the res running at 1280 x 768. I've watched a few dvds via the computer and they look superb. I haven't attempted hooking my stand alone dvd player upto the screen yet but probably will at the weekend. There are no problems with the widescreen format and I prefer it as I can fit more windows side by side or watch tv using the pic-in-pic.