Good evenin'

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by Holeinhead, Mar 15, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Holeinhead

Holeinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly i hope i'm not breaking any forum rules by posting straight off the bat, if so i do apologise :oops:

I have a pretty straightforward query regarding cabling.

I currently have a Samsung LE26R41B 26" LCD on order with Amazon (for £575). They said 'usually dispatches with 24hrs' yet mine has took a week so far and with me being a big giddy kid has p!ssed me off a little.. Eagerly waiting for my LCD to arrive has give me time to think about the set up when it does arrive.

To set the scene, i have a big blank wall for my LCD to go on. I was thinking of chipping out (?) a trench in the wall for my wires to go, so as if by magic it is floating on the wall :cool:

Now here comes my query. Before i fill/seal and decorate the wall what sort of cabling should allow for? Immediatly i thought i was going to have to have a couple of scarts, but what else should i hang in there because i don't want to be pulling the wall apart in a couple of months to hang another cable in there.

I am hoping to hook up a DVD player (although reading some threads i have some reservations about the HD850), a PS2, my PC, an xbox360 and maybe a 5.1 speaker set.

Any help would be welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Hole

2. Holeinhead

Holeinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anyone? :eek:

3. Conn

Conn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Why not wait untill your set arrives, plug a cable in to every available input/output and then cover it up with plaster? That way you have covered every angle :D

4. s3e3

s3e3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The safest method would be to buy extension leads too connect to all the samsung inputs ,

But the minimum leads required would be;

DVD > HDMI lead
    PS2 > Svideo + audio leads(phono's) ,or just one scart lead
    PC > VGA lead + audio lead (3.5mini-jack to a 3.5mini-jack
    360 > Component + audio lead (phono's)

If you plan a 5.1setup you may also want a pair of phono leads connected to the audio out of the TV , as this will route
    the TV sound to your Hifi or 5.1Amp.
    This lead only provide stereo and dolby prologic and would eventually be superseded by direct digital audio
    leads connected between the amp and game consoles.

If you decide against knocking the wall though ,it is possible to connect all equipment using just one thin S-video lead to the TV.
    (if viewing from more than 9ft away the quality trade off may be acceptable)
    for this you would need a 5.1 amp with S-video routing , and you simply connect all the equipment
    to the amp and have 1 S-video lead going to the TV

The first example should give the best picture quality , and the second give simplicity
    and less cable too buy, but requires a 5.1 amp .

There are other factors to consider are cable length , Some of these cables are pricey , and
    long runs can lead to signal loss , in some case's running 1 S-video lead may be the better option.

How long would your cables need to be ?

5. rudy

rudy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Use square plastic conduit (hidden behind lining paper)and make sure you run a wire or two inside so you can pull the wire of your choice through.

6. Holeinhead

Holeinhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for this people, i appreciate it. I did actually give thought to popping a cable into each port but then it came to me that there is usually 2 interfaces on each cable, i.e component to other, HDMI to other interface. So i thought i'd ask the experts.

Rudy do you mean like adding a couple of fairly flexible wires in with the cables sealed in square plastic trunky? I think i get what you mean, good idea.

S3e3 you're beutifull baby :thumbsup: thanks for taking the time and effort. The cables will run just over a metre so i'm thinking of buying 1.5m. There shouldn't be too much signal loss with this length should there?

Also, viewing range is around 5ft, i've not read much on ideal viewing ranges but i think for a tv this size it should be around ideal?

Now all i need is a cable tidy bracket and the tv to come and i'm gonna have hours of fun tweaking :) .

Hole

7. s3e3

s3e3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes 1.5m leads are fine , i would "guess" picture quality would suffer after about 5 meters.

8. DIRY

DIRY
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Dig a deeper / wider hole and make sure it's plenty big enough to fit a SCART connector down (plus extra spare room for when the other wires are in).

That way, in 2 months time when you realise that your new replacement bit of (whatever) kit has component outputs, not SCART, you can at least get the cable out :)

I wish someone had told me this sort of thing before I CAT cabled my last house...:oops: