1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Enough To Play CD's??

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Big Kev, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Big Kev

Big Kev

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I have the Pioneer D912s rec/amp, Pioneer 656A DVD Player, Mission 774, 2 x Eltax HP2 Bipolars, Celestion Centre & Paradigm Sub woofer.

I've listened to some CD's via the DVD player and they sound pretty good, what I need to know is whether I should invest in a dedicated CD Player or stick with what I have.

How far have DVD players come nowadays, are they anywhere near the quality of dedicated players?

I've still got my Marantz 6000OSE, would that be worth keeping?

Any advice will be much appreciated.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    The Pioneer 656 is actually quite a good all rounder,although most people reckon that it's no better than most CD players in it's price range(actually not bad at all considering it plays DVD/DVD-A/SACD)...in that respect its much better than most mid-range DVD players,and way ahead of the budget players which are still mostly awful for CD replay.

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yes, I agree. Have you tried it blind against the Marantz? If not, you should and then you will have an answer. I suspect you will not hear a difference worth talking about.

It's my opinion that you would have to spend a fair bit to beat the 656 for CD replay. It's really very good at the price. At least £6-700 upwards. You could always ask your dealer if you could have a home demo of something like an Arcam CD92.

4. joust

joust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi,

There is another solution to consider for CD replay. Consider adding a dedicated outboard DAC. Connect the optical output to the receiver for movies, and the coaxial output to the DAC (and then analogue interconnects from the DAC to the receiver). This is a very cheap solution to improving your CD quality, and also upgradeable if/when you change your DVD player.

DACS can be found from as little as £100 (for some of the cambridge audio stuff) upto 000's. Personally I use a TagDAC20 (bought as a factory refurbish directly from TAG with a 2 year warranty) that can be had for about £400 (they were originally £1300 when released) and I use this with an Arcam DV88:eek: .

Read the DAC sticky at the top, full of good advice.

Joust

p.s. you could also use a DAC with your Marantz CD player to improve it also in exactly the same manner;) .

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Good idea,joust,and very similar to what I do,except I use an upsampler between the digital out from an HCPC before feeding it into the AV32R's DACs....I'd certainly keep the Marantz if I were Kev.

6. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    I own a Pioneer DV656A (bought also for possibly replacing my CD player) but I found the sound was too bright and 'brittle' with CD's. In fact, when compared, it was way worse than my old Marantz CD63 player. I even tried an Audio Alchemy DAC with the 656A, but it didn't help much. The Marantz sounds really good with the DAC, so I'm keeping them and just using the 565A for SACD & DVD-A duties (& DVD movies, naturally).
    Amp is Marantz SR5200. Analogue CD audio is routed through Tape inputs and I prefer the sound with Direct Mode OFF.

Boink!

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Interesting comment,Boink.....when it comes down to external DACs,some are very sensitive to jitter from external sources,and some,like the P-Tech P3A are not.
    The upsampler I use is a P-Tech P1A which upsamples to 24/96 and interpolates data in between....not a cheap option though.

8. Boink!

Boink!

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    Upsampling... How about using an audio editor (Steinberg's WaveLab or Soundforge) to resample an audio CD, at 16bit 44.1Khz to 24bit 96Khz. Would that have the same effect as a harware 'realtime' upsampler? I suppose I'd have to burn the audio tracks to a DVD for playing back on my Pioneer DV-656a.

Would this work, I know it can be done, but would it be sonically any different / better?

Regards,

Jon

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Another interesting question....there are certainly a lot of DAC's around currently which internally upsample all inputs to 96Khz,but not so many that extend the word length to 24 bits,and very few indeed which do what the P1A does,and actually interpolate data(according to a proprietary algorithm)into the gaps.
    The sonic results of this,as far as my own ears,and those of virtually every reviewer who's listened to one,is that it can provide a much smoother,more open soundstage from CD,and certainly approaches things like the dCS Elgar/Purcell in terms of sound quality at somewhat lower cost.
    I think that the results of simply using software upsampling would be pretty poor by comparison(the P1A uses an Analog Devices Sharc DSP and a fair bit of ram for it's processing)but you could try asking someone like Branxx for his opinion.

10. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    656 = nice dvd player get a decent cd player. AND get an integrated amp - Pioneer make great amps for movies but I won't sully my CD player by connecting it to my 811.