1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good DVD's for testing picture/movement quality of screen.

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Dr.Rock, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I'll be demo'ing a plasma screen over the weekend and I'll be bringing some of my DVD's to the shop, test how the screen handles demanding scenes. I'll be testing for skin tones, colour depth, pixel refresh rates during scenes of fast movement, clarity in dark/dim scenes, etc, because those are the types of scenes I understand plasmas often struggle with. I won't be testing for sound quality because I already have a surround sound system which I'll be using it on. Can someone recommend me which DVD's to bring and which scenes are good for sorting the men from the boys for plamas? DVD's I'm thinking of bringing are "Underworld" for it's dark scenes and I heard it's generally good for demonstrating skin tones; "Pearl Harbor" R1 version for it's high picture quality and fast moving scenes; "Phantom Menace" pod race sequence, to see how the plasma handles scenes of fast movement; "Gladiator";
    Or if anyone can recommend a DVD and scene, I'll see if I have that disk in my collection and take it to the shop.

Thanks

2. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,859
    I use Fifth Element for colour. My favourite scene is the DNA laboratory scene and the bit where Mila jumps of the building. Another favourite for colour at the moment is Kill Bill vol 1.

I also like to use Starship Troopers for fast scenes such as where the bugs storm the compound.

3. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    The two Lord of the Rings Extended Editions are also very good demo DVDs, lots of dark/light scenes, and fast pans that will judder on cheaper equipment.

4. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Lots of plasmas have "issues" with reds, Hellboy is great for reds and is a great demo for them but currently only R1, similarly try Blade, or Finding Nemo. This will allow you to check for red bleed, banding and tizzing, all of which can be awful on some plasmas.

5. Jonny1973

Jonny1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CGI films like Toy Story or Finding Nemo will look great on any display but are a bad test for contrast and skin tones.

6. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I disagree, the reproduction of primary colours with clean edges, no colour bleed, no banding, and no tizzing are easiest to test on well produced Pixar discs, and these discs are marvellous for testing contrast range of a monitor. Obviously you don't use them to test natural skin tones.

7. Dibbiedibbie

Dibbiedibbie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember when I was looking to buy a Plasma almost every shop I went to demo'd the models using Lord of the Rings. It's pretty damn tempting too I can tell you! :smashin:

8. Supra

Supra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    May I suggest the beginning of Moulin Rouge, where they zoom into the city.

The reds will also be a good test.

It will aslo depend on the type of connection being used and dvd player.

Good luck

9. DocShock

DocShock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you talking color might I suggest the Italian horror flick "Suspiria".

10. andypandy

andypandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    "I'll be demo'ing a plasma screen over the weekend and I'll be bringing some of my DVD's to the shop, test how the screen handles demanding scenes"

don't really fully understand what you are doing over the weekend as you say you are taking the DVD's to the shop ??? If you are taking the plasma home for the weekend and connecting it to your dvd player then there are a number of good suggestions on movies for you already mentioned. BUT, if you are checking some of these in a shop - forget it !! Reason, well - what dvd player are they using ? how have they connected it up ? what cables are they using ? - I doubt taking a dvd movie to a shop to try is going to help fully.

11. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    freddy vs jason has some good extreme colour and a lot of it.

12. CIMPSA

CIMPSA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "Big Fish" for blacks (not so good for skin tones!)

13. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    An engineer once told me that reds are never produced accuratley on the PAL system due to 'techincal errors' when the PAL colour system was first set up.

Is this true?

Must say they can look awful on some TVs

14. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for the advices.

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go to the shop last weekend because something else came up. So I'll be going this coming weekend instead.

"Lord Of The Rings" Extended Versions ("Fellowship..." and "...Towers") I were recommended in this this thread, and I already have those so I'll be binging those DVD's along to test on the screens.

Can someone recommend me any particular scenes (eg which chapters from which disks) I should be playing, and what I should be looking for in order to rate the screen I'm testing? I'll also be bringing my "Blade 2" because (I think) chapter 10 has an extreme red sequence as does the menu screen witht he blood.

Thanks.