Good DVD Setup for Sagem 50"

J

Jikyo

First off, i want to say sorry for my bad english :D ( :hiya: from germany ).

I Bought my Sagem of Ebay yesterday (1200€) and am now looking for a sweet DVDplayer with HDMI, atm im prefering the Panasonic S52.

I wanted to ask if any1 had experience with that player on that TV and if its a good choice ( btw i need xvid support ).

Greetings

hi mate

I have the samsung HD850, really good for the money and you get a HDMI lead in the box as well.
Quality picture and it supports xvid as well!

not seen one recently playing DVDs, so can't really comment. I Think it plays at 576p if you have a component cable, I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong!

The Samsung upscales to 720p or 1080i so I would of thought it would look better than an xbox.
I have a xbox 360 and the samsung looks a lot better playing DVDs.

PRODIGY8 said:
not seen one recently playing DVDs, so can't really comment. I Think it plays at 576p if you have a component cable, I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong!

The Samsung upscales to 720p or 1080i so I would of thought it would look better than an xbox.
I have a xbox 360 and the samsung looks a lot better playing DVDs.
Let the TV do the scaling... just leave the DVD at 576p over HDMI. A £79 DVD is very unlikely to have better scaling than the Sagem. And if you supply 1080i, the Sagem's got to scale for a second time to get back to 720p.

I had a sagem for a while and IMHO the samsung dvd player (via HDMI) was a better picture than my 360 (component). Maybe its just a better connection via HDMI??
I noticed it most on the film 'the exorcism of emily rose' the blacks were a lot more solid and detail on the samsung.

Have a look on the DVD Forum. There is a fairly strong body of opinion on there that the new Sony NS76 is the best of the current <£100 bunch of upscaling DVD players.

I have one connected to a Sagem 50" G4 and with the DVD set to 1080i the picture is outstanding. Don't listen to those that say that the Sagem scaler is better than a cheap upscaling DVD player, they either have bad eyes or haven't tried one out. Certainly the Sony's scaler is far better than the Sagem's. You will find others in the NS76 thread in the DVD forum that agree. But if you are not sure, get a demo.

Tony

Tonywrj said:
Have a look on the DVD Forum. There is a fairly strong body of opinion on there that the new Sony NS76 is the best of the current <£100 bunch of upscaling DVD players.

I have one connected to a Sagem 50" G4 and with the DVD set to 1080i the picture is outstanding. Don't listen to those that say that the Sagem scaler is better than a cheap upscaling DVD player, they either have bad eyes or haven't tried one out. Certainly the Sony's scaler is far better than the Sagem's. You will find others in the NS76 thread in the DVD forum that agree. But if you are not sure, get a demo.

Tony
OK, you prefer the scaler in your DVD to that in the TV, but by setting the DVD to 1080i, you are forcing the Sagem to downscale back to 720p again - since that's the resolution of its DLP chip.

So you're upscaling 576p to 1080i in the DVD, and then downscaling 1080i to 720p in the TV. Good eyes or bad eyes, that's the worst of both worlds. You need to set the DVD to 720p and bypass scaling in the TV altogether.

At least we're sensible enough to have bought the Sagem which is 720p native. Most plasmas and LCDs are not native 720 or 1080 and so will always be scaling for all input formats.

Even display panels that are 1080 native will scale a 1080i input because they are designed to overscan, unless the manufacturer has been kind enough to put a "forced native" mode in the panel that turns the scaler off.

All true. It is inevitably better (theoretically, at least) to scale only once. DVD is 576 (or 480 for NTSC) lines. The TV is 720. So either let the TV do the work, or set the player to 720p. Using 1080 is an unnecessary double conversion.

this is interesting, i am waiitng for deliver of my sagem 56". I hadn't really planned on buying a new dvd player but if it makes such a difference then it may be worth it, does anyon ehave any thoughts on things like the snazio box that upscales and also stream almost everything it needs to????

Go for the Toshiba HDDVD AX-1 player and be prepaired to be blown away.:thumbsup:

hunts1uk said:
Go for the Toshiba HDDVD AX-1 player and be prepaired to be blown away.:thumbsup:

can this play standard dvd's multi region or is it region 1 only??

talldave25 said:
OK, you prefer the scaler in your DVD to that in the TV, but by setting the DVD to 1080i, you are forcing the Sagem to downscale back to 720p again - since that's the resolution of its DLP chip.

So you're upscaling 576p to 1080i in the DVD, and then downscaling 1080i to 720p in the TV. Good eyes or bad eyes, that's the worst of both worlds. You need to set the DVD to 720p and bypass scaling in the TV altogether.

At least we're sensible enough to have bought the Sagem which is 720p native. Most plasmas and LCDs are not native 720 or 1080 and so will always be scaling for all input formats.

Even display panels that are 1080 native will scale a 1080i input because they are designed to overscan, unless the manufacturer has been kind enough to put a "forced native" mode in the panel that turns the scaler off.

I'm sure that you believe everything that you have just written and it does sound very plausible. However, the evidence of my eyes, backed up by the eyes of many other contributers to the DVD forum, says that you are just plain wrong. Whatever your logic tells you the picture is just miles better. You can either believe me, why should I lie, or you don't, your choice.

Tony

Tonywrj said:
I have one connected to a Sagem 50" G4 and with the DVD set to 1080i the picture is outstanding. Don't listen to those that say that the Sagem scaler is better than a cheap upscaling DVD player, they either have bad eyes or haven't tried one out. Certainly the Sony's scaler is far better than the Sagem's. You will find others in the NS76 thread in the DVD forum that agree.

Sorry Tony
I don't see how using both scalers can be better than one either (and having the DVD output 1080i will mean using both) Unless your Dvd player is just no good at producing a progressive picture. The sagem is 1280 x 720p, I have the 56" and set the PC output to 1280 x 720 and the Sagem input to "DVI NATIF". I had to change to PC as the output from my progressive DVD player just looked naff.

It could be that downscaling 1080 > 720 has minimal effect on quality compared to upscaling - it makes sense that throwing away elements of a picture is easier to do well than predicting what's not there.

After all, with ffdshow standard practice is to scale to several times display res, then let the graphics card scale to display res (eg I scale xvids to 3000*2000, the card back to 720p, and there's a clear improvement in quality the further you push the ffdshow scaling). If the Sony DVD's scaler is better than the Sagem, then perhaps going to 1080 is OK.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom