1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good DVd scenes to test a plasma

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dr.Rock, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Tomorrow I hope to test a plasma screen out at a shop, and I'll be bringing some DVD's to try on it. In another thread, some people have recommended me to try the extended editions of "Lord Of The Rings" ("Fellowship" and "Two Towers") which I have, because it contains some demanding scenes which a poor plasma can struggle with, in terms of colour, banding, ghost/blur images, etc. So I'll be taking those DVD's along. Can someone recommend me which particular chapters/scenes I should play and what I should be looking for, to decide if the screen is good enough to display demanding scenes well enough?

Or if there are any other DVD's and scenes I should try, I am open to suggestions and if I have those disks then I'll also try those out.

Thanks.

2. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The house on fire scene in Spider-Man is another one that will show up a poor plasma. That's what I used to settle on my third and final plasma, the Panasonic W5 about 18 months ago.

3. MrPudding

MrPudding

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i used the Spiderman fire scene also. The one where he meets the Green Goblin. Great for colour and blacks i found. I also used Finding nemo, but i must admit most animation looks good on a plasma.

4. reckless

reckless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Not everyones favourite film but if you can lay your hands on a copy of Godzilla, that would be usefull to see how the set handles banding. The scene at the beginning when the crew of the boat are attacked contains lots of dark scenes and backgrounds that clearly show up any lack of handling of colour.

Also for colour banding, on the dvd "Signs", the logo of the production company has lots of shades of a single colour (can't remember the name of the company now). When I used to see that on my panny, it was like looking at a 256 colour dispay on my computer monitor! (Was it New Line? Might be).

To see if it flickers, the DVD menu of Bruce Allmighty (where Jim Carrey and Morgan Freeman's faces appear on a white background) is great to use. If you can't see flicker on that, you never will.

Oh, and it would help if you watch football etc to take a dvd of it if possible. Most importantly though, take your favourite dvd (not animation!) and see what that looks like. It's the image that you'll know best and if anything is wrong, you'll just know immediately what it is.

Best of luck! :thumbsup: